1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

budinger gettin respect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ariza4MVP, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cool. But Budinger looked have it hit the rookie wall already in preseason. His outside shooting has been way off.

3. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Like that wide open air ball against Dallas. I think he has hit a small slump, but i think he will be alright as the season goes along.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What's nice is that he's still contributing even when not shooting well, he's shown good passing and nice handles. Shows me he's not a one trick pony. Anti-Luther Head?

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's just on a mini-cold streak. When the regular season rears its ugly head, he'll get into a groove eventually.

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Buddinger backs up Battier, and has been instructed to learn as much as he can from Battier. Buddinger is apparently very eager to learn all that he can from Shane, especially regarding how to improve his defense. I can only expect that Shane is trying to help him every way he can.

Is there anyone in the NBA who would be a better mentor for Buddinger than Shane Battier? Buddinger seems to be reasonably intelligent, and eager to learn. I expect that he will learn, and that his defense will improve noticeably by the end of this year under the tutelage of the master, Shane Battier.

1 person likes this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

a bad game is expected everyone in awhile... didn't brooks shoot for 2?

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

it's very exciting to think what this kid will pan out to be after a year next to the Batman.

9. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

Buddinger has hit the rookie wall but i hope the rockets dont trade their one rookie who has a chance to get major minutes in the rotation. Donte Green didnt have much potential if you ask me. He was scoring 20 ppg with a Tmac number of shots. Rookies dont get many looks but Buddinger can score 15 with 9 or 10 shots.

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

His legs looked dead in the Mav's game (no elevation with his shot). He had a sweet drive and made a great pass, but he does look like he needs a couple of days off.

It's a bad sign when a rookie gets burned out in preseason, but gotta love this kid though.

11. albuster

albuster Member

I remember early on in Kobe's career, was it his rookie year, when he played vs the Bulls, he shot airball after airball. I think Budinger is an excellent shooter and that his shot will be there once he gets more comfortable and used to the NBA.

His game is well rounded and he seems to be a very smart player with good court vision. I expect him to have a long and frutiful career in the NBA, barring any major injuries of course.

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

he just needs to get used to shooting with a hand in his face. those shots he was making in the earlier games he was wide open.

13. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

hes much better at shooting off screens than spotting up

the opposite of shane

14. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I wouldn't worry too much about him 'hitting a wall' in preseason. Didn't he get the most minutes of anyone on the team? Besides that, when he was on the court, he usually brought the ball up. Neither of those things will happen during the regular season, barring injuries...

15. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

I've said many times that he will be an all-star at least in the future

In Morey we trust :) :)

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

i found this article from Dime a couple days ago... but i cant make threads

here it is http://dimemag.com/2009/10/chase-budinger-is-ready-to-contribute-in-houston/

Chase Budinger Is Ready To Contribute In Houston

By Jack Jensen

Chase Budinger

This year’s draft class has the potential for a number of gems to come out of the second round. I think Dejuan Blair, Sam Young, Dajuan Summers and Marcus Thornton will all make an immediate impact this season. But another guy to keep an eye on is someone that we’ve all known about for years: Chase Budinger. Cue the eye rolls.

Even though I think Chase made a mockery of his draft status and did not enter the League when he should have, you cannot deny his potential. Should have stayed in school, should have left early, should have played volleyball. He’s no doubt heard it from all angles by the haters at this point. The start of his NBA journey may not have started the way he thought it would, being drafted 44th overall, but he is in a smart situation with Houston.

After a stellar Summer League (averaging 17.8 points and shooting a ridiculous 72.7 percent from three-point land) and a strong preseason, Budinger is looking more and more like a viable scoring threat for the Rockets this year. Through nine games in the preseason, he is averaging 11.6 points and nearly four boards per game.

Here’s a kid who was projected yearly to go in the lottery and bring Arizona back to the national promised land, and instead fell down on expectations.
    For the first time in his career, Chase is not being called upon to be “the guy.” Now, he can relax and simply play.

Scoff if you must, but anyone who Lute Olson deems the most talented athlete he’s ever coached, is legit in my book. I may hear snickers that no one is questioning his talent or athleticism, that we are questioning his leadership and if he can be trusted to finish games. To that, I actually agree. But the beautiful thing about the League is that not everyone is going to be a star.

Last year, John Salmons quietly went out and scored 18.3 points per game. Salmons was highly regarded coming out of Miami and had five disappointing seasons before breaking out in Sacramento. Instead of being asked to carry the majority of the team load, Budinger will flourish as a second or third option scorer. Granted, he does need to focus on adding a defensive presence to his game.

With T-Mac gone for who knows how long and no real offensive threats beyond Aaron Brooks, Budinger is going to get shots. If he can continue the output he has produced since the draft, the “Encinitas Enigma” will be a valuable contributor for the Rockets. Coin that phrase and tell ‘em who sent ya.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Correct. From the articles I read he said he'll have to adapt to the NBA schedule because he is going to play bunch more games than in college, more back to backs.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It seems that all the posters that compare him to Novak have changed their minds.

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

This guy is twice the player Novak is. Atleast he can dunk, make right passes without turning it over, put the ball on the floor and finish the break. Novak lacked in these departments and Budinger defense is probably already better as well.

20. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

That pass he gave to Pops was so beautiful and smooth :p :p