1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bubba Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 5, 2012.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

So let the students stay on their parents insurance as a result of the ACA.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There has been some commentators who said Bubba made a better defense of Obama than Obama himself ever did. This is true, but I am not sure it is purely a matter of communication styles.

The fact is, if Obama makes some of the same arguments about himself, it would sound like excuse making or bragging. On the other hand, Clinton being a third party making the same defense (kind of like Michelle making a defense of Barack the night before) has the advantage of it coming from a third party.

One thing that helped Clinton's effectiveness is that the GOP has for some reason been touting him as the "good centrist Democrat" and portraying Obama as super liberal when there is not that big a gulf between them in terms of political positions. This kind of gives Clinton the credibility of a quasi independent referee on issues like welfare reform, Medicare and the economy. Harder for Romney now to complain about Clinton when he spent all this time aligning himself with Clinton.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

If you're looking for a serious answer, the biggest contributor was probably technological innovation making its way into the business sector. Clinton largely just benefited from his timing.

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

bill clinton is awesome. he was up there laughing at the republicans while laying done a point by point rebuttal of their entire convention and letting us all know that he thinks obama (being the second black president) is a bad mofo, like slick willy himself. kudos bill, rock star stuff, i was cracking up the whole speech. how does he do that, smiling away while laying siege to entire party. wham bam thank you ma'am, he hit it raw.

5. Major

Major Member

Which is fascinating, given that no major mandates affecting college-age kids have taken effect as of yet. The main mandate that's in effect is requiring insurers to allow kids to stay on their parents' insurance longer, and that's not relevant to kids having their own insurance.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

His alma mater might be Liberty U.

7. Major

Major Member

I think he lives in North Carolina. Here's an article about the UNC system and their health care going up substantially this year - and why:

Ross explained that at least 64,000 North Carolina college students - roughly a third of those enrolled in the state's 17 public universities - should expect to see "substantial" increases in health coverage costs for the 2012-2013 academic year.

"Based on more than three semesters of actual claims experience, as well as the new provisions of the Affordable Care Act, we are facing large increases in premiums for our students," Ross wrote in the letter.

In North Carolina, college students are required to have proof of health insurance, either through their university, their parents or a private provider.

Students who purchase insurance plans from North Carolina public universities this fall will be shelling out $709 per semester. That's up significantly from a cost of $460 per semester last year.

In an interview with CNN, Ross said the Obama law - the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - is only a partial driver of the rising premiums.

Obamacare regulations requiring enhancements in prescription drug coverage and preventive care account for 12% of the insurance cost increase on campuses here, UNC officials estimate.

Most of the cost increase, however, is due to adjustments in coverage by the university's insurance provider, Chartis, after the company evaluated claims experience over the last year and a half.

So in other words, Obamacare caused premiums to go up a bit because it improved the quality of the coverage. But the vast majority of the increase was due to the insurance company just raising rates because of the number of claims out there.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Bill was in vintage form. I wish I'd been in the hall. It's different in person, like being down in front at a Hendrix concert, next to putting Electric Ladyland on the turntable. The energy is palpable.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol NFL clobbered Botox Bill in the ratings

Romo > Clinton

10. Steve_Francis_rules

Didn't Mitt Romney lose out to Toddlers in Tiaras or some crap like that? People watch a lot of stupid s*** on TV, so the ratings mean nothing.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

But nobody outside of Dallas and Colin Cowherd is talking about the game. everyone else is talking about Clinton. The multiplier effect is in play.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is great news for Hillary's primary campaign

Hillary 2008!

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Question for you,

Hypothetical, Obama is re-elected. What is your first post after the results?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

probably that, "what has obama done in his 2nd term?" Ryan 2016!

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

If only there were some way people who missed the live event could view the speech, maybe a series of moving pictures.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It talks more about the state of America. I might not be a Republican, but I still watched the RNC speeches.

17. no.3 for no.1

no.3 for no.1 Member

Wow, this guy is honestly getting on my last nerve, is he just trolling or are there really idiots like him out there in this world. Oh " I have resulted to personal attacks so I have lost the argument" I really dont give a flying ****, you are one of the biggest douchbags I have ever seen on a board.

1 person likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It scares me that there are people out there that agree with every single policy of their party. Abortion, gay rights, economics, NASA, war, environment etc. If you are completely right or left on all of those issues, you have absolutely ZERO thoughts that are your own.

It is called being an idiot.

Go read a book. Take an Anthro class or two...

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think I'm further left in some aspects than the Democratic party.

What if I'm not right on anything? Seriously, I don't think I can name one thing I agree with the GOP on. I do hate the healthcare act though and I think it gives way too much power to the insurance agencies, still. I'm waiting for the day that the govt. will finally nationalize health care. Like every other first world country.

20. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

But you would need some kind of magic box to capture these pictures and store them in some kind of chamber so that on another eve, a person could conjure these pictures back.