1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BS Report; Chad Ford guest, high praise for Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sounds like a good ASSET to me.

2. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is like pocket rocket dynamo scoring power. He isn't a pure point guard.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

On a more serious note,

Canaan's value will be high here given the fact that Beverley has a tendency to be in foul trouble and Lin has a tendency to be injured or play passive.

4. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Yes, because a guy who plays 82 games this past season has a tendency to be injured. Where do you guys make this stuff up???

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Like i thought. Being somewhat compared to Lillard. Almost the same situation.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, Lin is underrated, as a shooting guard!

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lillard has always been a great passer in college and averaged lots of assists, the comparisons with Canaan are off.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Whoops, checked the numbers and Lillard had less apg than I remembered. My bad.

10. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Lillard averaged 4 assists a game at Weber State his senior year, Canaan averaged 4.3 at Murray State.

11. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Lol oops you beat me to the fix.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Court vision in from the PG is less important in our offense than in other offenses. Our PG was not handling the ball much with Harden around, and he will do so less with Howard joining.

I think the key skills for our PG is TO's, off the ball movement, 3pt shot and defense. That's why I almost feel bad for Lin, because this offense is not suited to his best skills. Canaan could fit the mold, but the fact that he's a rookie makes it risky for us to entrust him with those things. I'm more comfortable with Lin and especially Beverley.

I personally think Lin is a better overall player than Beverley today, but Beverley's skill set suits our needs better. Canaan could develop into a great option at PG, but we shouldn't jump to any conclusions until we've seen him in action.

I think Canaan will ultimately prove to be a good option at PG, but not sure that will be in his first year - unless we deal Lin without getting a veteran to replace him.

13. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

I find it funny how so many people have already written Jeremy Lin off, this resembles all of the Howard haters in L.A that have written him off as a bum because he didn't play up to par last year, either. I'm not a LOF or LOH, just a Rockets fan who wants to see the team win regardless of who we have in uniform.

Personally, I would like to give Jeremy Lin one more season of work as starter before we put the axe to his head. I think with the addition of Dwight will only make him better because now he actually has a big man who can catch the ball. Asik is good, but he's not a good pairing with Lin or any PG because he doesn't have the offensive skill set to accomodate.

Make no mistake, if Lin is a huge disappointment by mid season then I hope we trade his ass. But, Im willing to give him a bit more time before we declare him useless.

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, according to Chad Ford's sources, one of Thomas Robinson's problems is that he cannot remember plays.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

but, but, we didn't have any plays....

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He didn't get even drafted and a lot of people had Canaan as first round talent.

Anyone know where Machado these days?

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Stromile Swift syndrom

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Douglas and Flynn were throwins in trades, Morey did not specifically target them. Macado was undrafted and IIRC, came up thru the RGV for his short stint on the roster. Even counting those three as fails isnt totally correct since Flynn was the only truly horrible one(Douglas was a decent backup and Machado wasnt bad, just not a really good NBA point)

When he has specifically gone after a PG, he has done well.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We really needed a good 3rd point guard, someone to give us a different look on the court from that spot, and to step into the rotation if Jeremy or Bev get banged up and miss a couple of games. The Toy Canaan looks like he has the potential to be the perfect guy backing up Lin and Beverley, IMO. Time will tell all!

20. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Warriors