1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Drew signs with Hornets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

A 3-year, $4 million deal.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull21.html

DREW GONE: BRYCE DREW signed a three-year, $4-million deal with the Charlotte Hornets after one injury-riddled season with the Bulls.

''I'm excited to go down there,'' Drew said. ''They made the playoffs this year and just about everybody is coming back, except for Eddie [Robinson, who is headed to the Bulls].

''I was definitely pleased to come [to the Bulls] and have a chance to play in Chicago for one year, but I was upset with myself because I didn't get a chance to show how good I was last year because of injuries. It wasn't something under my control.''

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I always thought Drew was a capable point, and the form he showed in several starts for the Rockets was good - I was surprised that form was MIA at the bulls, perhaps he'll get the chance he needs at the Hornets to make an impression?

------------------

3. SlamN

SlamN Member

I liked his play when he was with the Rockets. He needed to work on his PG skills but he was active and a very good shooter. Hope he does well in Charlotte.

------------------

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Whoever thinks this either has extremely poor memory, or has a different idea of what a good shooter is.

99 - FG% - .364
    00 - FG% - .383
    01 - FG% - .379
    Career - FG% - .379

Drew wasn't a bad guy, but do y'all really think he'll even end up being a solid NBA player? I don't.

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

5. RocksMillenium

I think he'll turn out to be a very solid player. I think he is a lot like Dana Barros, a late blooming guard who needs time to develop. I think Drew will turn out to be fine.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

I think he can kinda turn out to be a cheap version of Mark Price. I dont know what exaclty he will be able to do in Charlotte though. They already Baron Davis and David Wesley at the pg position.

------------------

7. Colby

Colby Member

I will always remember his shot for Valpo. That was a great play and great shot.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Foreward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

8. Kim

Kim Member

And it was the biggest reason he got drafted so high.

------------------

9. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Mostly likely they want another guard that can fill the role of PG/SG. His flexibity in the guard position will allow him to fill in for either guard in time of relief.

------------------

10. SlamN

SlamN Member

He was a pretty good 3 point shooter, I believe it was around 37%-38%. Nothing great but not bad for a young player.

He's not really starter material but could be a good backup PG/SG.

------------------

11. silent j

silent j Member

I agree, when he stared @ PG for us, he always scored real well. He should fit in great in Charlotte where their guards shoot first and ask questions later.
    j

------------------
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

12. University Blue

Drew is a SG in a PG's body. The new zone defense and playing next to a PG who attracts a lot of attention might allow Drew to spot-up on the perimeter.

University (Charlotte needed a clutch player.) Blue

------------------

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Gosh, when Drew started, he was AWESOME -- he had games where you wished he was our starter, b/c he'd be like John Stockton out there, 20 and 10.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

14. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Wesley is the starting SG-- not a PG.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

15. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Wrong, Wesley in the Hornets system if you want to label him, is the PG, and Davis plays the SG, although both are historically PG's. Maybe your nintendo game has him at a SG, but in real life, Baron and Wesley are PG's with almost identical assignments. Silas in my opinion did a tremendous job in not falling into this tradition simple minded concept of only a historic SG must play the 2 position. His system involved his best 2 guards which were ironically point guards. Bryce Drew is another flexbile guard that can come in and play either of the guard positions.

------------------

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

I think Drew is excited to be playing in the NBA. maybe he will get better?

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

17. RocksMillenium

Wesley and Davis flip-flop their roles depending on who they are playing. In the first 2 rounds of the playoffs, Davis and Wesley took turns matching up against Hardaway and Davis guarded Sam Cassell exclusively at the point, but there are times when Wesley and Davis match up against certain PGs depending on their size, speed, and athleticism.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

18. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

I have know idea what some of you are talking about!?!

Drew sucked!!!

I was happy when we drafted him,I thought we WAS going to have the perfect draft,Dickerson then Drew and I thought we were going to get Lewis but we got Turkan,I was really ticked!

Anyways I thought Drew would be an improvement over Maloney but he couldnt hit a three for nothing!

I cant even see how he is still in the league,he is a pure shooter that cant hit a shot.

------------------
    AKA Rendiggler

[This message has been edited by Ren Cooper (edited July 23, 2001).]

19. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Well, my recollection of the Hornets has Baron Davis being the ball-handler and driving to the hoop and Wesley hitting the jumpers and 3-pointers. No doubt Wesley CAN play the point, but I don't think he does principally. Drew will be a good fit for them at any rate.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

20. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Member

Funny how Rocket fans sing the praises of our players after we run them out of town!

------------------