1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Drew, ass't coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jun 28, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/ncaa/06/28/bc.bkc.valparaiso.drew.ap/index.html

Drew returns to Valpo as assistant
    Posted: Tuesday June 28, 2005 6:29PM; Updated: Tuesday June 28, 2005 6:29PM

VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP) -- Bryce Drew, who hit a 3-pointer as time expired to give Valparaiso a 70-69 upset over Mississippi in the first round of the NCAA tournament seven years ago, is returning to the school as an assistant coach.

Drew's father, Homer, announced Tuesday that he had hired his son, who led the Crusaders to the Sweet 16 in 1998 before playing six years in the NBA and a year in Europe.

"Bryce brings to our program tremendous knowledge and understanding of the game as well as invaluable playing experience at the professional and collegiate levels," Homer Drew said.

After leading Valpo to its first-ever win in the NCAA tournament, Bryce Drew was the 16th pick in the NBA draft by the Houston Rockets. He was traded to the Chicago Bulls in 2000-01, where he started 41 games, averaging 6.3 points, 3.9 assists and 27.2 minutes.

Following the 2000-01 season, Drew signed with the Charlotte Hornets. He was waived by the New Orleans Hornets in March 2004. He played last season for Reggio Calabria in Italy.

He is the third member of the Drew family to coach for the Crusaders. Homer Drew has coached the Crusaders for 16 seasons. Scott Drew was an assistant coach for nine years and worked one year as head coach when his father retired. Homer Drew returned when Scott Drew accepted the Baylor job.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

This thread title nearly gave me a heart attack.

3. Blatz

Blatz Member

I know, I thought the same thing

4. barryxzz

barryxzz Member

man, not on the draft day. :mad:

:)

5. tim562

tim562 Member

6. xiki

xiki Member

What better day to post this? :eek:

7. toby

toby Member

hmmm, i'm out of work, maybe i should ask my dad for a job . . .

8. Relativist

Relativist Member

LOL. I also thought this was in fulfillment of the "Major Changes..." prediction.