1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brussels Airport Explosions Kill and Wound 'Several': Official

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 22, 2016.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So one option is to invite the neglected dog into your home with your kids and try and train him to be nice and the other is to not trust them at all?

I'll take the 100% chance of not having my kids face chewed off thank you.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There's a middle ground you're missing. How about we heavily scrutinize and validate the folks that are coming in? Right now we don't even have good documentation on who we're letting in.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm fine with having controls on the process. We do have controls on the process now. The problem that creates, however, is that it is de facto Option 2 -- most refugees are left at the mercy of ISIS and too small a population of integrated, westernized Muslims is created. Right now, our process takes too long. Knowing government inefficiency, I bet it can be made both faster and more secure with a little ingenuity. But I would advocate for volume. The Western world should be challenging itself to take more than we think we can reasonably take. Just like Cuban refugees and their descendants are among the staunchest opponents of communism, Syrian refugees and their descendants can be opponents of radical Islam.

4. The Stig

The Stig Member

Our very own Dikembe Mutombo was at the Brussels Airport this morning when the explosions went off. He got out okay. Wow, small world.

5. JuanValdez

In your analogy though, a couple of years from now your kids can't go outside the house without contending with a whole pack of vicious dogs.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your analogy is something like the set of the movie Roar.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Makes them easier to shoot dead doesn't it?

8. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Why is our only two options either let them in or lock them out. There are moderate Islamic countries that have the resources to take in the refuge. Trump has proposed to setup camps and provide other aid if necessary, as long as they stay in their part of the world for now. To me, this is the common sense way to go.

Many Islamic countries often claim that Muslims are peaceful, and the terrorist are simply bad apples that have fallen down the wrong path. If so, then the burden of correcting those who have strayed down the wrong path of their religion should befall on the people who truly believe their religion is being misrepresented.

1 person likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very nicely put. The thing is that the attacks will continue whether or not refugees are allowed in.

The difference is that by allowing them in, as you say, we have the chance to show them a way of life that is free from the hateful indoctrination of extremists.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Many of the people who believe that some people are representing Islam are American Muslims, many of whom have served in the military, FBI, CIA, and have helped battle terrorism.

There are also Americans who believe we should help victims of ISIS terrorism. Why refuse to aid the victims who are from Syria?

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You don't know very much about dogs apparently. You can take a neglected dog in, and by training both your children and the dog, your children can live safely not only from the dog you took in, but the dog will be a loyal part of your family that will protect you from threats from the outside.

12. JuanValdez

I agree that is fundamentally different than leaving them with ISIS. I can call that a third option (except if that moderate Islamic country is Turkey, than I fear the high burden coupled with the geographic proximity to the Middle East may be ripe for radicalizing Turkey instead of the moderating Middle Eastern Islam). But, if you don't take the Muslims on yourself, you can't control how they are assimilated and indoctrinated, nor do you earn any allegiance or build any cultural bridges. You can bifurcate Option 2 into Options 2 and 3, but I still personally believe Option 1 is better.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

In this statement, there are only two kinds of people: The poor, innocent refugees on the one side and the evil extremists on the other side. The reality has a lot more shades of grey. You can be a refugee and still have ideological views which include hate against Jews, hate against gays, subjugation of women, hate against people of other beliefs. This is evidenced by what goes on in refugee homes in Europe.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hFyhY8WVCm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. malakas

malakas Member

Radicalisation of Turkey doesnt' have to do with immigrants. It's from their own president,political parties and already pre existing issues.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

I do know about dogs and that's why I know I can't trust that they will be safe 100% of the time. If you don't respect that then you don't know very much about dogs.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Of course, that is correct. Number one there should be a vetting process for refugees. That should be a given.

The other thing is that I believe prejudice disappears when ignorance disappears. That happens with things like forced integration.

You can look at the difference in racism in generations that grew up with segregation and generations that grew up post integration. There is in general a huge difference.

I think most folks up seeing a better way, re-humanizing Jews, gays etc. have a chance to change. There will be those that won't.

I'm not saying accept every single refugee, but by the token don't shut them all out either.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PL7hvXeOAKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not to you . . . .

Seems you feel:
    KKK after people other than you . . . just stupid people and not that big a deal
    ISIS is after you . . . . .. they are the devil incarnate

I guess when it happens to people. . . . WHO ARE NOT YOU or LOOK LIKE YOU . . . no big deal . .. right?

Rocket River

20. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah sure there is
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DHxIL9RG3Ok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.