1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruce "Michael Irvin" Lee

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Jul 6, 2021.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The first point I don't know about and I haven't read his book, but Matthew Polly did correct Tarantino's recent comments about Bruce not respecting American stuntmen.

The 2nd point yes virtual unknown might be a little strong, but Enter the Dragon vaulted him to stardom in America. I don't think there is much debate about that.

The last point is relating to Matthew Polly not to Bruce Lee.

All of these points might be relating to a poorly written CNN article rather than Matthew Polly's book.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Gene beating up Bruce is a true story.

3. adoo

adoo Member

I read Polly’s book. It is a half-ass effort, poorly researched,

robbie380 likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

Chasing the dragon

[​IMG]

FrontRunner and robbie380 like this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, he totally said all of that stuff about be like water while stoned or thought it up while stoned.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good for Bruce. Glad he enjoyed himself. Not like the drugs killed him.

If I had mountains of money, a good connection, and wasnt worried about getting arrested I be gakked out of my mind 24/7, too - at least when i wasn't going full Lowell George/John Belushi and shooting speedballs between my toes while eating greasy fried foods.

7. adoo

adoo Member

he died a happy man.

had that half-assed so-called author Polly done reasonable job researching, he would at least research the circumstances surround Bruce Lee's death.

that would include, but not limited to, combing thru the Chinese newspapers. Polly didn't.

collectively, the Chinese newspaper in HK had framed this narrative..

Bruce was in the house of his female co-star, who had placed a call to emergency in the middle of the night.

the ambulance team arrived and found a naked Bruce Lee unconscious in bed, w semen stains on bed sheets.

Bruce was transported to emergency, but never regain consciousness.

the female co-star was so shaken by this that she quit the movie industry and joined the convent.​

#27 adoo, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  8. adoo

adoo Member

that amounts to an admission that you're making it up when you posted these comments

i read Polly's book; the CNN article captures the essence of his so-called biography (such as it is) on Bruce Lee, which has a lot of baseless suppositions and misinformation​

#28 adoo, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol man adoo you always have to hyper focus on something. I don’t know what it is with me that triggers the attack dog in you.

The topic of the thread is the letters from Bruce Lee and you are hyper focused on one sentence of the article that refers to a point that isn’t related to the letters.

I wasn’t making anything up in my reply back to you and you got one part wrong. I used the word “might” for a reason...because I haven’t read the book and the CNN article had an awkwardly phrased sentence that made you think that it was referring to Bruce Lee moving to China when it was referring to Matthew Polly.

Thank you for your commentary on the book and it matched some of the criticism I saw.

Anyhow Bruce liked to party a lot and it’s ok.

10. adoo

adoo Member

robbies
    making stuff up again

11. KingCheetah

12. adoo

adoo Member

actually Bruce did have a reputation of continuing hitting the extras after the Director had said cut.

but, Bruce was not the worst; the worst was Steven Seagal
    among themselves, the extras would say that Seagal thinks that he is Bruce Lee, but at least Bruce Lee was an elite martial artist
    eventually, the flabby / martial arts-challenged Seagal was punched out, unconscious, by a 50+ year-old extra, Gene LeBell.
    who (after the Director had said cut) had the audacity to block Seagal's sucker punch and then counter-punch​

#32 adoo, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  13. KingCheetah

You know who Bruce respected... Gene LeBell.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a Judoka I've heard the stories of how much mutual respect that Bruce Lee and Gene LeBell had for each other. While they may have fought Bruce Lee ended up respecting Gene LeBell and incorporating Judo into Jeet Kune Do.

As far as if Bruce Lee was using drugs I can believe it. He definitely wasn't a monk or an ascetic.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pothead/cokehead Bruce Lee was a big surprise for me. I admit I never read anything about him, but that is not at all the image that is put forth of him. Something about discipline that does not go with addiction or dependency. Not being able to say no, I mean.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also cheated on his wife too including the night he died. Bruce Lee wasn’t a saint and while he had a discipline and dedication to martial arts he also enjoyed the physical pleasures too.

Being a great martial artists and enjoying the a lot of other stuff aren’t mutually exclusive.

JumpMan likes this.