1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks to start ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sushimaster, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

this team has been bogged down by van gundy the past three years. they're not use to the freedom they have of running the floor.

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

While that may certainly be a part of it(habits) the fact is that the only ones flying up the court with any regularity are Rafer, Snyder, Head, James, and Bonzi. I dont put much stock with T-Mac's fast break woes the last game, as he was on a bad knee.

The Rockets need Battier/Hayes/Scola to start running more. I think it goes down to rebounding. They all crash the boards for the rebound, so when it is secured they are all under the basket and the opposition is further up the court. Nobody leaks out because the bigs are going for the board, and the smalls are waiting for the pass to get the ball up the floor.

3. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Bingo and it seems once t-mac went down on his gimpy knee the whole team except for luther, bonzi, t-mac, yao, and brooks were playing at half speed not giving a damn... i smell a trade coming soon

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's not just last game. He consistently walks the ball up the court, killing any chance of an easy basket.

5. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

true... only rafer, head, and sad enough to say scola try to initiate fast breaks... who gives a damn if we're a half court team (T-MAC) its about winning u try and score any way you can...

And i'm sorry but this team seems to have a bunch of p*****s on it... theres been some horrible fouls on players (and a bunch of no-calls like sf3 getting pushed from behind and no foul getting called) and the team just sits around and acts like the **** never happened. we need an enforcer someone who will intimidate the other teams players or who wont be scared to stand up for a fellow teammate its getting to the point where i'm about to give up on watching the games now because of the fact there is no heart and no fuccing balls on this team except the one that they dribble up and down the court

Rick you need to toughen the guys up u cant be their *****ing friend ur supposed to be their COACH

6. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

... it cant get any worse, can it? :rolleyes:

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just wanted to point out that nowhere in the article did it say Brooks is going to start. Frankly, I wouldn't care if he did. Shake things up somehow. And I agree with TheFreak that McGrady usually walks the ball up when he's got it, frequently after Rafer gives it to him. I thought we were trying to get away from Tracy handling the ball and let him concentrate on scoring? Yet Alston continues to hand the ball off to McGrady after crossing mid-court, more often than not. What's up with that?

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Not sure how he'll do in the pros, but in college Brooks was a great finisher on the break. maybe he can run some one man breaks to get a few cheap ones. Also, I'd rather see him shooting open 3s when Yao or Tmac is doubled than Rafer.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

How much? he might give you 1/12 plus 10 TOs.

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

Are you guys nuts to expect a rookie to save this team?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Am I the only one wonder what exactly do the Rockets do in Practice?

Rocket River

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brooks needs to play some and the Rockets need to deal Rafer/whatever for other pieces.

13. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

No, not at all expecting him to save this team. But if he can play hard and provide a jolt of energy with his speed and quickness, that could be potentially infectious.

No way am I expecting him to "save this team." I'm just saying at this point, if Rafer's not playing, why not give the kid a shot.

14. johnrox

johnrox Member

the tos came i think all in the 3rd quarter. steve had no business guarding devin, devin went off on steve in the 2nd half.

as bad as the box score was, steve in actuality was even worse. one wide open 3 he made, that was a good shot, bsides that, he couldn't do anything else. in my opinion, he does not play well with tmac in there.

15. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Trust me, no you're not the only one. ;)

16. johnrox

johnrox Member

the rockets are in a tight spot, brooks may be a solution, but really to give him a position by default says it loud and clear that rockets are not elite. hey maybe it will something like josh howard surprise, i wouldn't bet on it though

17. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

All I'm saying is that Steve and James have had their chance and haven't produced.

Brooks is the only one left to get a chance to show what he can do at PG...at .500, better now than never.

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

"Anything's possible..."

[​IMG]

19. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

amen... and another thing brooks can do that none of the other guards haven't managed to do quite effectively is get to the hole and penetrate the opposing teams defense

20. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Entirely not true for umpteenth time. JVG had the same problem as RA has, the players are lazy and don't want to run.

How many times have you seen Rafer push the ball up the court and he is the only one, all the other players are trailing waaaaaay behind. and to add to it Yao is usually the first one down the court, not the wing players.

this problem of not running fast breaks and not passing stems back to the years when francis and mobley were here, its nothing new, but it its growing old...

I would like to see Rafer as our starting PG with AB coming off the bench so he can get his feet under him without the pressures...