1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks has never hit the clutches in the last few seconds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. J, Mar 4, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Meh, I am just weary of the ignorance.

Lord knows I have vented more than once.....or a thousand times.

DD

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

dont care about the miss three at the end he got a good look at it not much else you can ask for there.

What I do worry about is his FT % in late game situations and this has been the case last season and I believe even in the playoffs against portland where in game 3 and 4 he missed a lot of late game fts that made the games a lot closer than it should have been.

I dont expect AB to be perfect from the line but for a guy shooting 85% or whatever it is, a very high percentage, to miss FTs when they matter the most is certainly trouble especially when the margin for error for this team is slim as it is.

It was pretty sad last night when AB was fouled the first thought that popped in to my head was "I hope he missed the second one and not the first so we have a chance at the rebound" it didn't even cross my mind that he was going to make both.

And while Aaron is young, its not like he is inexperienced he has played enough NBA games and big time college games to have gotten over whatever mental block/nerves he has by now.

3. dmenacela

dmenacela Member

Were the rockets up or tied in that situation against PHO?

4. choujie

choujie Member

I'm not worried about that. Clutch shooters can be developed over time as long as they don't lose their confidence. Once Yao comes back, AB should make more for the attention Yao gets or the worrd's biggest screen Yao sets for him.

That being said, I don't mind Martin take a few of those shots in the future either. There was no other option available before the trade, now there is.

5. milkshake

milkshake Member

Hate to say this. But even Rafer had a better FT% than AB in crunch time. If I remember correctly, inability to make FTs was one of the reasons that Rafer got traded.

6. sammy

sammy Member

As I recall, Brooks hit clutch free-throws in the playoffs last season. Go back and watch some tape.

#86 sammy, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. redao

redao Member

when did that happen? any stat on this?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I was at TC when he was bricking some free throws at the end of a Blazers playoff game. Rudy hit a couple of 3's to get them real close and AB finally made enough to ice it.

He still needs to concentrate on his FT's with under 2 minutes left in games.

9. T_Man

T_Man Member

PlanetG,

That was a nice post... Have to rep you for that one....

But being on the GARM with DD for about 10 yrs now, I understand where he's coming from and upsetting it gets with some of these threads...

I have basically tried to ignore them or not to responded to them but it does get hard to do at times... So you try to educate some of the posters but it's hard to educated those with a full cup..

T_Man

10. sammy

sammy Member

You're right about that. I just remembered him making some at the end but he did miss some beforehand.

He has the ball late in games and I still trust him for the most part. It's not like Rafer was perfect in late game situations.

11. redao

redao Member

According to 82games.com, AB is a 80% FT shooter in clutch time. I think he is pretty good.

12. T_Man

T_Man Member

It's not always being able to hit the Clutch Shot, it's more about having the Cojones to take the Clutch Shot....

A lot of guys shy away from being put in that position because they either can't handle the pressure of taking the shot or the pressure of the aftermath.

So if Brooks sucks so does Garnett, Dirk and some others... Dirk SUCKS with Clutch Shot and Pressure.... Usually Jason T. is the clutch man and all I have to say about Garnett is remember the Timberwolves.... Garnett is good but he needed that extra help to get him over the hump...

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

82games.com defines "clutch time" as:

"4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points."

However, that's not the issue at hand. It's been pointed out that Brooks misses a lot when the Rockets are down in the last few minutes of a close game.

Durvasa, is there anyway to statistically substantiate this claim? Just from watching him this season, it seems to be true.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Per 82games.com:

Game Winning Shot Opportunity = 24 seconds or less left in the game, team with the ball is either tied or down by 1 to 2 points.

Data sample
    Regular Seasons: '03-04, '04-05, '05-06, '06-07, '07-08, '08-09 (thru 2/4)

Dirk: 12-37 (32.4%)
    Terry: 8-26 (30.8%)

Instead of complaining about how hard it is to educate those with full cups, maybe you should spend more time focusing on your cirriculum.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think we just need a reference thread with all the links stats are.

That should slow people down before blowing smoke in a thread.

16. T_Man

T_Man Member

Man you guys need to stay the HELL away from the stats with 82.com....

Doesn't tell the entire story.....

Learn how to do Scouting the OLD FASHION WAY.. By watching a game....

Because If I looked up the stats of Robert Horry and Kenny Smith in the Championship season it would show that Kenny was CLUTCH and Horry SUCKED....

But those of us who WATCHED the game and not some FREAKIN Stat would know that's not true...

So don't come at me with that Stats CRAP...

17. durvasa

durvasa Member

Tell me the entire story then. Convince me that Dirk doesn't perform well under pressure. And do it without referring to any statistics.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe if you define it even narrower you can make Brooks look even worse. Go on, try it. It's right up your alley.

And what is with "clutches"? Do you hear commentators discussing "who has hit the most clutches this season?" or "that clutch in that game was great."

Nope. I think that's clear enough.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BTW - those are not really good stats for finishing...that is under 40% ...which is Rafer esque.....

DD

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Did you see him in college?