1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks current status and his future in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Aug 28, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Brooks is due to get 9-10 million, then I think the Rockets should trade him. I'd be shocked if they choose to pay that much money to retain him.

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

A Kirk Hinrich type of contract I believe is Brook's value. But knowing Morey, he'll try to low ball him every penny he can save. I wouldn't be surprise if Brooks signed his one year tender and became an unrestricted free agent.

3. StevieCrossover

Brooks is a huge asset to the Rockets. He is was the first scorer on the Rockets last season and will only improve this season. Brooks will play better with Yao Ming than Lowry because of his better shooting percentage. The Rockets normally play half court set with the ball passed to Yao in the half court set. Then whoever is open, the ball is passed out and three pointer. Either that or the Yao Ming pick and roll. I'd prefer to keep Brooks over Lowry. I think the Rockets would have been in deep trouble without him last season. Lowry also is a good player. He's a hard nose, drive-in, more of a passer point guard. He can easily start but having Brooks ahead of him just limits his starting ability. Brooks defense isn't that bad. I would rate him better in defense than Kevin Martin. I still remember the full court alley hoop shot brooks made in the play-offs. I'd take him at a price of around maybe 8 or 9 million a year.

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The MIP means exactly what it means, Most Improved Player. That really doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that AB improved the most from the previous year out of the other NBA players. Unless MIP translates to Contender status, does it really matter beyond the fact that AB exceeded our expectations.

Is he better than Lowry? As a scorer yes. As a player, I personally do not think so. Aside from scoring, what does AB do better than Lowry? Nothing really. Lowry has better court vision, is a better team player, is actually a good defender, and gets to the FT line much more frequently. All AB can do is score and give up points on the other end. Not to mention, AB is a piss poor passer (don't know where you got the idea that he is a good passer).

The fact that he IS our second best player after Yao is really a sad thing for the Rockets. On a true contending team, AB would be a third option at best. It is due to the quality of our role players and RA that we even had a chance of making the playoffs last year. If AB is still our first or second scoring option this season, we are still in trouble.

None of us who think that the team would benefit more from Lowry starting are suffering from backup QB syndrome or whatever other terminology you may want to use. We simply feel that AB is a one dimensional player and while he works hard, until he learns how to pass with efficiency or we finally start playing RA's motion offense, a player like Lowry would be much better.

That being said, this is when we are actually running the team offense through the PG position. If Yao ever comes back, I agree that AB may be better at the PG position than Lowry because Lowry can't shoot for crap and cannot easily drive due to Yao logging heavy minutes in the middle. However, when Yao rides the pine or gets injured again, I would like to see Lowry out there with our guys.

Brooks is a great scorer due to his speed and shooting touch, but at the end of the day, he is just another glorified and undersized shooting guard playing in the point guard role.

5. StevieCrossover

Allen Iverson was an undersized guard. and yes Yao will be playing next season. Brooks ability to get to the basket is great. I would have to say better than Lowry. The thing great about Lowry is that he takes a lot of contact to the rim.

6. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

The same way you fell in love with VSpan? Or the same way you're so smitten with Budinger?

DsD

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This always bothers me, when people say "this is what so and so would be on a championship contender." What does that even mean? Does that mean you plugged him into the '09 Lakers on NBA 2k10 and determined this?

Adam Morrison has a ring. Derek Fisher, who people are quick to label 'inept' when it suits them, has some nice rings. This is a weak, horrible way to analyze a player.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Were you shocked with what they paid Scola?

DD

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for making a spin-off moniker just to come in here and accidentally prove his point for him. He was poking fun at himself.

Also, why do Brooks threads always lead to such lame tactics to discredit him? I'm convinced people just dislike Brooks game because they need a scapegoat for losses and a point-guard is easy to play the blame game with.

10. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Hush child

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Agree with all of the above. Spot on.

How is it difficult? They are already paying Lowry starter money so obviously it isn't a question whether they think he can play 36 mins. The real question is if they want to pay Brooks $10M/year. I would think not, so it's only a question of how much you can get for him before he leaves for nothing. Obviously if you can get Carmelo in a deal that includes Brooks you jump on that.

I think the only way the decision gets difficult is if we use other assets to get a guy like Iggy. A facilitator and defender like that would be a perfect fit next to a scorer like Brooks. Only then would I contemplate ponying up market price to keep him away from Sacromento.

12. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I wasn't trying to discredit him, just pointing out inconsistencies.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Why do you think they would be unwilling to pay a 20ppg 5 or 6 assist player more than they are paying his backup?

I think it means they will trade Lowry, and keep Brooks.

I do not think they will keep both, I think at some point they will have to trade Kyle and they know it.

Says the guy so obsessed with me that he names himself after me, then copies my sig, and calls me a Douchebag in it as well.

Yeah, no you are clearly not here trying to discredit anyone....lol....

You are just the first two letters short of class.

DD

14. durvasa

I would have been if we still had Landry.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not me. I think the market determines the players value, and it will with Brooks.

I do think Morey has played the market very well before this season, but then the market played him this year...

He has been smart to let Landry seek a contract offer and then match it.....but this year the market changed, and he got caught off guard with all the teams with cap space willing to spend it on secondary players.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Brooks, he is eligible for an extension now......will the organization give it to him, or hope the market shrinks after the CBA and they get more options like a "Franchise" tag etc....

DD

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Exactly.

If you have 2 guys at the same position both worth lets say $7M, you will be getting on average $7M worth of production for a full 48 minutes. At a cost of $14M.

Meanwhile, if you can have one guy worth $7M and a backup worth $2M, and you play the starter 36-40 minutes, you will get around an average of $6M worth of production for a full 48 minutes. At a cost of $9M.

It is obviously much more economical, and a more efficient use of assets(cap space) in the second scenario.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Lowry is eligible to be traded on Dec 15th, with his permission. However, next year, when the restriction is off, and Brooks is due a new deal, they may trade him then.

I think that eventually he will want to start and run his own show, and will not settle for being behind Brooks the entire time.

Unlike others here, I think Lowry is the one they will trade.

DD

18. durvasa

DD, when you look at our roster currently, what do you think is a fair salary (per year) for each of the players? Feel free to adjust up or down on all of them, and nevermind the rookies.

I look at it like this (not based on any formulas or anything -- just my own rough guess of what they're worth based on the production I expect out of them and what we could get for them with a trade).

Code:
             [B]mine     actual[/B]
    Yao       12       17.7
    Martin     9       10.6
    Scola      8        7.8
    Brooks   7.5        2.0
    Lowry    4.5        5.8
    Battier    4        7.4
    Lee      3.5        1.4
    Budinger   3        0.8
    Miller   2.5        4.4
    Hayes    2.5        1.9
    Hill       2        2.7
    Jeffries   2        6.9
            60.5       69.4

Maybe I'm just underrating our offensive weapons. But its hard for me to be enthusiastic about them when year after year we're a mediocre offensive team, even with Rick Adelman as coach.

19. mFt82

mFt82 Member

I cannot speak for anyone but myself. I see Aaron Brooks as a significantly better player than Lowry in many ways. However, I also acknowledge the fact that he has higher trade value than does Lowry. With that in mind, coupled with the idea that Lowry may be a better fit for the Rockets in terms of a pure point guard, it only makes sense to see Brooks traded for someone who could really put the Rockets over the top.

However, if someone like Iguoadala could be had for draft picks + Hays + Jeffries than so be it!

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because

1. I don't believe the Rockets value their players based on boxscore statistics such as points and assists.

2. It is an inefficient use of resources(cap space) to overload at any one position. Meaning it is best to sell high on one of the two players, as you agree with. However I believe it will be Brooks because the only commitment(monetary) that the Rockets have made is to Lowry.

And the whole starter vs. backup debate is a bit silly. As if a starter was never traded before to make room for a backup in NBA history. Or as if a starting spot is somehow proof that Brooks is the superior player.

Odom came off the bench for Ariza.
    Jason Terry came off the bench for JJ Barea and Rodrigue Beaubois.
    Manu Ginobili came off the bench for guys like Keith Bogans, Roger Mason, Michael Finley etc etc.

The list goes on. Just because you are a starter doesn't mean you are the better player.

EDIT:

In other words, how much we THINK the Rockets value Brooks is all speculation. We KNOW how much they value Lowry, down to the penny.

#100 CXbby, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010