1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks current status and his future in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Aug 28, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You mean not contending like how the Rockets took the Lakers to game 7 when Brooks had been starting like 30 games?

Come on, that is just stupid.

Morey was forced into overpaying because he rolled the dice hoping to sign Kyle on the cheap, it backfired and he had to match a contract bigger than what he probably thought Kyle could get.

Good for Kyle, glad the team kept him.

You can't let assets walk away without anything...standard business practice.

However, all of what you said is a guess.....there is no guessing when the starting lineups are filled out and Brooks is in there and Lowry is backing him up, nor is there any question or guess when the game is late and the Rockets need a score and it is Aaron Brooks with the ball in his hands making the decision to shoot or pass.

Aaron Brooks is underated on here, it is simply amazing, even Jeff Van Gundy loves the guy, calls him a game changer.....Kobe talks about him being Tony Parker like, but here on Clutch fans....he is just warming the seat for a career backup who could not even start in Memphis.

Unreal.

DD

2. trugoy

trugoy Member

It's a stupid argument, it's like saying, scola is crap cos he couldn't beat out matt bonner in spurs.

or gerald wallace is crap cos the kings didn't even protect him in the expansion draft.

Teams make mistakes all the time.

3. trugoy

trugoy Member

Do you think you are overating brooks because the only two playoff series he has played is against the best possible matchups for him at the PG spot.

He played against two of the worst offensive starting PGs in the playoffs.

I assure you if he had to play a playoff series against deron williams or chris paul or westbrook or derrick rose or rondo, he would be absolutely carved up and people's opinion of him would significantly be different.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No, I think I am rating him like the rest of the NBA does, like naming him the most improved player in the ENTIRE STINKING LEAGUE !!!

I think I am rating him as a first year starter that lost 2 of the team's best players in Yao and Tmac, and still managed to lead the team to a winning record.

Aaron Brooks is arguably the BEST player on the Rockets even with Yao Ming back.

He is the guy that makes the entire thing go, a player who can shoot, pass, and finish....

Is he perfect, or elite at the PG level, no....of course not, but he is the best PG we have had in Houston in years....YEARS.....he has pretty good court vision, he can get shots for himself and others, and he plays the game the right way.

Is he better than Lowry in all facets of the game? No...Lowry is a better defender, and sets up his teamates a bit better....but when you consider the overall role of the player......Lowry is far behind Brooks......

If you offered Brooks or Lowry to most teams...whom do you think they would take?

It would be Brooks by a landslide.....but not here...no....here on Clutchfans, it is the backup QB syndrome......

It is easy to fall in love with the role player who looks good in a limited role, trust me, I know.

:)

DD

1 person likes this.
  5. trugoy

trugoy Member

If you offered Aaron brooks to most teams in the NBA, he would be used as a supersub sixth man off the bench. And that's the only role he would play on any legit championship contender.

Kyle Lowry, I could see him as a starting PG on a championship contender, in the same mould as a derrick fisher, ron harper, avery johnson type. A low mistake defensive bulldog that knows how to run a team, and that can make something happen if need be.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Spot on

I have never seen so much hate for arguably the BEST player on the team

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely right. I'm not sure why a significant number of "fans" are so quick to badmouth Brooks' ability. The guy has played his heart for the team, and delivered. He improves, isn't a trouble maker, can work well with Yao Ming, is fast enough to give many PG's trouble, and is someone I will be cheering for to make a big impact on this Rockets team.

He's been loyal to the Rockets and his teammates. It's odd how little faith a significant number of fans have for the guy.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It depends on what he does this year, but if he's basically the same player than I don't think the Rockets value him at much more than the mid-level. What other teams bid for him will of course dictate how much the Rockets will spend.

Maybe something similar to what Mo Williams or TJ Ford got -- around 8 million. Personally, I think that would be overspending, considering all the money the Rockets have committed to other players.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's just bineg realistic and weighing his strengths and weaknesses. When we say Battier is a limited offensive player, or that Scola can't jump, that's not hate. Similarly, when we say Brooks isn't a great passer or defender, or that Lowry provides almost the same production, that's not hate either.

This thread is about realistically looking at his value and his place in the team's future.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Fool's gold and you know it (or at least you should). The Lakers turned it on when they needed to and blew the Rockets out of the water in game 7.

Really? Morey was FORCED to pay Lowry? That's news to me. I thought he did it because he felt he was worth it. Common sense tells you that the Rockets probably have bigger plans for Lowry when they give him that much loot. Save the "assets" and "standard business practice" BS. You're no smarter than anyone else on this forum and half as smart as you think you are.

Lowry backing up Brooks as this team is currently assembled? Sure, I imagine that will be the case but Morey is trying (as he repeatedly has said) to make a major upgrade. Once he adds some fire-power to the offensively lifeless SF position I'm sure the Rockets will then want to have a competent passer, defender and clock manager at PG. Lowry is that guy and Brooks isn't. So in the Rockets' case it is more about who will be the better fit rather than who is the better individual offensive player.

Yes, I remember this from last season and it resulted in the team missing the playoffs (by a lot).

Yes, we know. Underrated here, underrated by intelligent sports writers and underrated by statisticians. For some reason, only you see his limitless ability that every other intelligent fan is missing.

Jeff Van Gundy doesn't work for the Rockets organization. Daryl Morey does and he just gave Kyle Lowry a huge deal. He also said Kyle Lowry is "the most important player on the team" but I guess you keep missing those facts.

Oh boy, now you're reaching.

I don't see it that way. I just see that a lot of us realize that the guy is a great player to have in bursts when you need instant offense or if you are a team depleted with injuries and need scoring anywhere you can get it. We also realize he is poor decision maker, passer and floor general.

On the contrary, I think reality is your problem.

11. Mr. Clutch

I'm not sure the Rockets are actively planning to move Brooks, but you have a compelling theory.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Right, so ignoring facts = fools gold.....gotcha...and

Common sense huh, you mean like possibly trading him, and using his larger contract to get a better player, that kind of common sense.

Common sense = keeping your assets instead of letting them walk....so that you can use them later to upgrade the team if you need to, good management does not allow assets to leave and get no return on their investment.

So, if the team upgrades and Brooks stays, and still starts, will you then admit Brooks is better?

Or will you invent another mythological case as to why he is not starting....like he is being held back by Adelman, or maybe if they changed the team even more he would start?

Yep, and if Lowry was starting instead of Brooks they would have missed a winning record.

Sports writers? That is your litmus test, sports writers? ROFLMAO......those guys are not any more intelligent than most fans posting here.

I see his limitations....what are Lowry's limitations why is he CONSISTENTLY the backup in his 5th season?

Why? I mean if he is that good, shouldn't he be starting?

I am also keenly aware that Morey speaks to the masses for marketing purposes.

I like Lowry too, off the bench against weaker players where he can be effective.

If you think AB is not a good floor leader, then the only conclusion is you are watching the games through "Lowry is my guy" glasses, AB made some great passes, and ran the team very well, and guess what?

He did EXACTLY what Adelman asked him too.....as the starter.

Reality - Aaron Brooks is starting and getting 36 minutes a game, Kyle Lowry is his backup and getting around 24 mintues a game.

Reality is Aaron Brooks is the better player.

Reality is that Aaron Brooks won the most improved player award in the entire league.

Reality is that Lowry could not beat out Mike Conley.

Reality is that Lowry got a contract offer from a crumbling Cleveland team, and no one else.

Reality is not something that Lowry should start fans want to deal in....

DD

#72 DaDakota, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

To all those who think the rockets can sit back and wait for a team to offer a avg contract to brooks, get that thought out of your mind. To the few who think no team would offer brooks a contract at 9-10m,lose that one also. I've been saying this and I'm pretty certain that if brooks hits rfa, the kings will offer him a contract starting at 10m out the gate. Why? They dont have any big time extensions up until the summer of 2012. They have been after brooks since his rookie year is another thing to ponder. That was the deal breaker the first year the rockets went after artest. The kings really wanted brooks and the rockets weren't coughing him up. Tyreke who molded his game after tracy is the perfect backcourt teammate to play with brooks. In 08, mcgrady was pushing for brooks to be the starer in front of rafer big time.Mcgrady and rafer wasnt capatible because both of their strengths were with the ball. Evans is like a roy type of sg and the perfect compliment is the explosive brooks who can play off the ball, yet get his own shot off the dribble.

This will be one of the most difficult choices the rockets have ever had in a long time. Do they believe lowry's game can translate into 36 minutes or is he just a banch player? If they believe his game can translate in 36minutes, they have the option of trading brooks and letting another team deal with thep pressure that will come from sacramento. If they're not sure, they will have to give him a deal before sacramento puts theirs on the table.

14. trugoy

trugoy Member

Kings were after brooks before Evans blew up, I don't think the kings are as high on him as before especially since they see evans as a PG.

I think most teams see brooks as a jason terry type SG in PG's body that can score points off the bench.

Unfortunately, any teams that need that kind of skillset would need to be contending and be over the salary cap, so I think it's quite unlikely he'll get a significant offer as a RFA

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

OMFG...really?

LOL...so no teams will make a significant offer for a guy who puts up nearly 20ppg and 5+ assists per game?

No big offers for the most improved player in the league?

Simply staggering......

DD

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Calm down, DD. You've got 13 posts in this thread since a few minutes before 10am this morning. It's not "DaDakota against the World," you know. ;)

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It is when people are constantly trying to downgrade one of our most important players.

I will stand up, will you?

DD

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

On the contrary, you are overrating Brooks and downgrading Lowry. (Especially with the Melo will come to Houston just so he could play with Brooks thing)

Don't we all do that during discussions anyways?

Lowry is just as important as Brooks, and if he wasn't injured during the regular season, there is no doubt in my mind that we could've scratched the 8th seed.

If we do land on Melo, who would I trade away? Brooks all the way. Lowry's passing abilities compliment Melo. In fact, Lowry's passing abilities compliments all elite scorers.

Unless we got a healthy McGrady, there aren't many tradable and recruitable wings out there who would compliment a shoot first/pass second PG like Brooks. Melo is the closest thing we got, and probably the closest thing we will ever get in years. Brooks would make the perfect trading asset.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Oh wait, you're right. The Rockets were right there. That's why Daryl Morey left the team as it was assembled in game 7 of the Lakers series. Oh wait, no he didn't. He added two new starters and shipped out our blossoming PF.

When the hell has Daryl Morey ever done anything close to overpaying for a player up until Scola or Lowry? Better yet, when has he ever purposely overpaid a player because he wanted to use him in an undetermined trade at some point in the future?

Again, so your logic is he purposely paid Lowry more than he thinks he is worth so that he can trade him later? Nice.

I've already said it isn't about who is better as an individual player. It's about who is a better fit. Lowry is has traditional PG skills and Brooks does not. Brooks isn't a starting PG on a contender. Lowry might be.

I never said anything about him being blackballed by the coach. Maybe if you stopped arguing with every person on the forum you could concentrate on who said what.

Possibly considering the team was missing so much offensive fire power. Brooks brought a quality (scoring) that made a bad team a decent one. He doesn't have the qualities needed to make all the talent mesh and work together on a Championship caliber team.

I'm not sure what else to say. If you think it's as simple as "this guy is a better individual player so it means he always makes the team better" then I'm not sure you know the game all that well. This whole conversation with you is odd considering you have b****ed in and spammed every Melo thread non stop about Carmelo Anthony becoming a Rocket because you think he won't fit despite him being better than any current Rockets players. You're terribly inconsistent.

Now you've figured it out. It has all been Daryl Morey's plan to talk up Lowry and then give him a huge contract so he can use that bloated contract to trade for another player at and unknown point in the future. That's diabolical!

I guess he did EXACTLY what Adelman told him to but I don't know. I'm not in the huddle and I don't have Matt Bullard's phone number like you do so I can't call him and ask him what Rick says to Aaron in the huddle. But I do know Aaron Brooks scored and I imagine that Rockets asked him to do that because their two best scorers weren't playing. But here's a tip for you, if your PG is asked to carry the offensive load for your team then you're probably a lottery team and you sure as hell are not a contender.

So what does Brooks bring that Lowry doesn't do better besides score. When this team has Yao, Scola, Martin and hopefully an upgraded SF what is going to be more important? A shoot first, not-that-efficient PG who can't do much of anything else and who is a horrible defender or a do-it-all guy who makes every player on the floor better and is good defender but has a poor jumper?

Ok. LOL

I'm not a Lowry fan, I'm a Rockets fan.

2 people like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Good post, I think you are correct. Brooks will get paid.

It will indeed be a tough decision. Brooks creates mismatches and is an offensive weapon that lowry isn't. Lowry is a better passer and a stat geek's dream.

Best case is we keep Brooks for cheap, but it's hard to see how that's gonna happen, especially if he keeps improving.