1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks and possibly Camby on a full roster; Something's gotta Give!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The question is the motivation of the Bucks with Asik. They already have Larry Sanders. And John Henson is looking good as well. The Bucks might be more willing on Jeremy Lin.

BUT, if the Rockets wanted Ersan, they should also try to sneak in John Henson in the deal.

2. Boombai

Boombai New Member

whats the point of getting Camby?

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That all makes sense, but I'm still not sure you can justify 30% of the roster occupied by players that can only play PG.

4. jocar

jocar Member

Doesn't someone need to take Jennings first?

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This is obviously true. Last year the Rockets paid around 12-13 million to Scola and the other guys who were cut. Les is obviously willing to waste money on bottom of the roster guys if it helps the team.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Count me as someone who WANTS to see how Lin and Asik would do on this team. I think we are nasty as is. How the roster shakes out from 11-15 really doesn't matter than much except for injury depth. None of those guys should be seeing the playing court, especially in the playoffs.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I'm not going to argue with you about LMA. He's the best all around big man in the league in my opinion. But it's not about what you want it's about what you can get and I don't believe we can get LMA despite the interesting trade scenarios fans bring up (although I actually think we would have a better chance to get LMA if we got Erick Gordon from New Orleans to give to Portland but they want Parsons).

But we have Howard who lead his team to the finals and OKC would have never made it to the finals without Harden and Parsons has shown he's not scared of the big moment. We're good...

8. mazinger

mazinger Member

Asik is getting traded. Lis is too that's why Morey got Brooks.

9. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

+1.

I think there needs to be some continuity from summer to regular season if we're to see the true potential of this team. Given contending windows are getting shorter and shorter each year, it doesn't make sense to constantly look for roster-altering moves.

10. basketballholic

The problem is that there are too many guys that are better than Brooks. Instead of being a no-brainer, think about it. If there is no trade to clear out one of the three point guards in front of him, then what reason do the Rockets have to keep him on the roster? They're trying to trade Lin. Do you think they're going to demote Lin to the bench and promote Brooks in front of him and further destroy Lins trade value? Do you think they're going to put Brooks in front of Beverley in the rotation? Do you think they're going to cut Canaan and keep Brooks as the third point guard?

Barring a trade or injury, the odds of Brooks being on this team Nov. 1 are very small.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

it's a good problem to have

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Who says Canaan is ahead of Brooks? Brooks is the third-string point guard who will get spot minutes, while Canaan won't play at all. Beverley isn't going to be starting anytime soon, and this team will roll with Lin. Nothing to worry about.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Come on, you don't think the Horse Trader GM will sort this out?

DD

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just stop it, stop it, ok? Is DM the assistant GM a horse trader ... or an asset dealer? Someone make up your mind!

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can we get this over with and start the season already?

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bro, Cannan is DLeague all the way. He's not gonna see an NBA court this year. Take him out of the equation. Now you're left with Lin and Bev, who I agree are in front of Brooks. But having 3 pgs on your active roster is not crazy. Not only is Brooks just a couple years removed from being a 19 ppg player, but he's also a savvy vet at this point, with playoff experience. For the vet minimum, Brooks is a great guy to have at the end of your bench. This is a guy who shot 37% from 3 last year and averages almost 12 ppg career. It simply makes zero sense to cut Brooks on a minimum contract; especially when pg is one of the two weakest positions on your roster.

Bringing Brooks back for cheap was a great move by Morey and I'm confident he makes the team.

#36 Aruba77, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Interesting thread. This board is on fire. By October we will have a nose hair count on every player.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think we're paranoid that something will happen soon...but it looks like Morey is loading up for a possible future trade. It may or may not happen. What you have to remember is how young this team is. Although we have spots filled up, they are filled with inexperienced players. Brooks and Camby are vets.

I don't think Morey is in any hurry to let Smith go.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is so good, he is all of the above and more !!!

BWAHAHAHAH !

DD

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

(If) we are going to be wheeling and dealing soon for Aldridge I think a
    package of these players would definitely get consideration.

Asik..................very good starting center....27yrs old
    TJones.............#18pick 2013'......SF/PF......21yrs old
    Beverley.............very good backup pg.........25yrs old
    Several future picks

If three or more teams are involved I think both Asik and Lin come into play.
    The reason I don't include Lin in the Portland scenario is Lillard isn't going anywhere!