1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If there were ever a team trying to buy their way to a championship, the Brooklyn Nets have that down

PG: Deron Williams/Shaun Livingston/Tyshawn Taylor
    SG: Joe Johnson/Jason Terry/Marshon Brooks
    SF: Paul Pierce/ Andrei Kirelinko/ Tornike Shengalia
    PF: Kevin Garnett/ Mirza Teletovic/ Reggie Evans
    C: Brook Lopez/ Andray Blatche/ Mason Plumlee

May have forgotten somebody, but they are paying a whopping $186 million including Luxury Tax penalties for that roster.

How good do you guys even think this roster is?

Almost everyone on their roster is poor - average on defense except for Garnett and AK47. Lopez is a good shot blocker, but poor help defender etc..

On offense, they have 3 point shooting, low post scoring, can spread the floor, deep bench.

Coach: Jason Kidd

I think they have a 2 year window left to compete. Their roster is old and they have few draft picks left.

I don't think they are better team Miami and Indiana still.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Depends on injuries. In the unlikely event that their top 6 guys are all healthy come the playoffs, I think they are as legit as any other team.

In the likely event that one / several of them are injured... who knows.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Still don't see it. They may get a couple of years of competitive (2nd round exit) basketball, and then they'll be terrible for a long, long time.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Brooks was in the trade to the Celtics

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Depending on seeding, matchups, and just plain luck- they might be able to squeak into the ECF. No way they beat Miami unless Garnett and Pierce can evade father time (which would be pretty fun to watch).

They're decent, but not worth the enormous money Prokhorov is paying. And definitely not worth all the first round picks they traded. No way they're contenders.

Poor nets fans. Even when it's good, it's bad. And of course the Celtics are still (STILL!) swindling teams out of picks (that's how they got Parish and McHale).

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Opulence, he has it!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rkB9OT2XVvA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yep. All those flashy names look impressive, until you realize that half the rotation is a mere fraction of their former selves.

3-4 years ago, id pick this team to win it all.

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I think the Nets are going to be incredible this year. That team is VERY deep and has loads of experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out of the East. The only real concern is the durability of the older guys.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

you're right. i just don't get this team. a coach with NOOOOOOOOOO experience and an odd mix of players. it's going to be interesting to see where they go with this.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's like saying you'd pick LeBron to make the All Star game :p
    3-4 years ago, this team would be the most talented NBA team ever assembled.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thus, my confidence in the statement ;)

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

What's odd about the mix of players? Talent wise, they complement each other very well.

This team reminds me of the early 2000s Blazers a lot (with Pippen, Sabonis, Rasheed, etc). They are more talented than that Blazers team but just in terms of fit --- it's a great mesh of players who compliment each other.

Their Achilles heel is their health. Short window, possibly no window at all if they get injured. Who knows. They could also use another athlete / defender when they meet the Heat. But nobody's perfect. Overall it's a VERY well built team.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

haha ;)

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say this: They did a nice job of filling out their bench with cheap productive players. Injuries are a big problem, as is Jason Kidd potentially. As long as they limit those minutes SUBSTANTIALLY in the regular season, they could be potentially threatening. Defense will be a problem, though.

15. bcast89

bcast89 Member

If Deron goes down at any point during the season, I'd bet Kidd would come out of retirement and be both coach and starting PG. That would be pretty funny.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Its incredible how the NBA landscape can change dramatically from year to year. It really highlights how difficult it is to repeat.

17. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

2nd round at best...i dont see them beating the heat, pacers or even the bulls, unless Rose is seriously off his game next season...think there's also a chance this team doesnt even make it out of the first round, age is a concern but so is chemistry...remember after the lakers added dwight last season, they needed all 82 games to make the playoffs...i could see them as a 4/5 seed and losing in the first round

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Brooklyn will get 1st round upset once again.

19. hoopcity

hoopcity Member

Reggie Evans may even play more minutes than KG this year to spare him throughout the season. He's a great rebounder and pairs well with Lopez to make up for his lack of rebounding.

I think they could beat the Heat, seriously, how do the Heat respond to that team defensively?

How many teams in history have ever had 7 all stars on the roster (even if they were former all stars)? Its a crazy mix of talent, I think if they figure it all out they'll be incredible.

20. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Well..you still can only have 5 guys on the court at once..I would say the top players of Miami would beat the depth of Brooklyn