1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I lean towards keeping the picks unless some team gives us an offer we can't refuse. I understand that we have a ton of young players already and a lack of development time currently, but all of the veterans besides Brooks are on short term deals. The logjam won't last forever. Sengun, Tari, and hopefully Cam show that you don't need picks to be in the lottery to be valuable. The 2024 pick isn't looking great, but 2026 is a long time away from now and anything could happen.

Also, OKC had a billion picks. They tried to cash in, but let it ride when the right deal didn't come along. They play a ton of their young prospects but are still contenders. It can be done.

Patience likes this.
  2. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

By looking at Nets, they’re one injury away from becoming lottery. Cam Thomas superstar season seems like a fluke

Plowman likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I say trade it. We don't need to develop more youth and the reality is that the coaching staff is going to give these current young guys way more time to develop than this board is willing to give.

There are no minutes. Cam and Amen's minutes will increase a lot next season, already rendering Holiday/Tate pointless.

I'd love to use it to upgrade a member of our playoff rotation. Someone on a good contract.

Corpusfan, Hemingway and fattz like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've said all along I would try to trade the picks back to the nets who can assure those picks are in the high lottery if they want. If an NBA team is committed to being competitive it's very easy to avoid being top of the lottery awful, and they have no reason not to be.

Ultimately they seem pretty committed to trying build with this group, so if we aren't trading them to Brooklyn it's likely best to hold onto them and hope for a disaster injury season. If a superstar shakes loose on the market by all means cash them in, but only for a star.

saleem, jboslett, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Well said. This is mostly where I'm at.

saleem likes this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

nets are going to be a play-in team. they have decent players.

wouldn't mind using the pick on an euro-stash. we will need to have players on cheap contracts in a couple years when all our rookie contracts are coming up to expiry.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

While true, they are in a weird spot. Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges are both really good, but they are 27 and likely won't take any other big jumps. Nic Claxton is solid, but he is pretty limited offensively. So, what's the team's upside absent a big FA signing? I guess their best hope is that Cam Thomas continues to develop.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Keep 'em. We still need a shooting guard that can shoot and a backup center.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would keep them if they're between 14-20th. Stone knows how to find hidden franchise talent.

10. Houston77

Supporting Member

I mean, can't you use the picks to trade for players who you know will fill those roles, rather than hoping rookies will develop into those roles?

#90 Houston77, Dec 15, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    Corpusfan likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly. We don’t need any more FRPs or even the ones we have. We could sure use a Brogdon or Bridges. That type of acquisition if not giving up the core, would make us dangerous in the playoffs next year and possibly this year if Amen produces ahead of schedule. This upcoming draft is very weak.

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Houston77

Supporting Member

This isn't a bad point. While we've swung-and-missed with late RFPs (which isn't unusual), Stone has nailed the picks just outside the lottery.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should amend this to say I'm open to trading the 2024 pick to a non Brooklyn team. The 2 swaps and 2026 just have a ton of value to Brooklyn. The chance for Brooklyn having a bad year is just too much to pass up. I'd like to keep 4 tradeable FRPs after this upcoming draft as 4 picks plus some swaps seems to be the standard draft compensation for a star. The 24 Brooklyn pick and protected FRP from either Tate or Holiday should still be a decent trade package.

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Agreed. I'm fine if they trade the 2024 pick for a guy like Brogdan. I don't want to trade future draft capital unless it's for a star.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So are the Nets buyers or sellers at the deadline?

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They want to be buyers. I just don't know if they have the balls to trade for Siakam.

I kind of expect they do little buys, but don't make the home run swing.

Plowman likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If a great trade presents itself then sure, make the trade. But don't trade them just because we already have several young guys.

And I think it's unlikely we'll get a great shooter with those Nets picks. We could probably get a decent backup C as those are plentiful (I'm interested in Zeke Nnaji, who now doesn't play at all in Denver).

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ultimately, I think you are right, unless an extraordinary opportunity comes along.

And keeping this year's pick won't hurt my feelings one bit, assuming that Brooklyn pick falls somewhere just outside the lottery.
    Many have wanted Stone to make a move for a big man between now and the deadline but there's several bigs who are likely to be available around that pick range that can really help this team - a couple of them capable of playing both big spots.

They also have 3 2nd round picks from Golden State, Brooklyn and a swap with OKC (they get the better).

top 3
    Alexandre Sarr

late lottery
    Donovan Clingan
    Izan Almansa
    Kyle Filipowski

just beyond the lottery
    Kel'el Ware
    Aday Mara
    Bobi Klintman

In the 20's
    Tyler Smith
    Adem Bona
    Yves Missi

I really like Mara who's a 7'3 big that can play both 4 and 5 and Klintman who's more of a 3-4, good shooter that can put the ball on the floor and make plays from that spot. Both fall in that just outside the lottery range.

Now of a deal for an established star comes along, I would be open to exploring the option .... really depends on who and how much.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure you can ..... but those players generally cost more than players on their rookie contracts.

Doesn't matter right now but in a year or two, when Sengun, Tati & Jabari are looking for extensions, cap space will come at a premium and these draft picks can be cost effective ....

20. Houston77

Supporting Member

Brooklyn has lost 5 in a row, 6 out of their last 7, and are now 13-15. They have to start making some decisions.

AroundTheWorld, saleem and Y2JT like this.