1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

NewAge likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

All good brother .. A1 content and I appreciate your contributions to the site.

Nook likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The real value in the picks isn't the actual player that gets selected. It's the potential that pick brings in terms of flexibility on any hypothetical roster. Once this draft is complete and the Rockets know the player they end up with, I think the next logical step would be to assess the roster, identify the one or two major weaknesses that would keep us from getting a playoff spot, and move some or all of those picks for a player or two that will eliminate those weaknesses. If the Rockets end up making every one of those picks themselves, I'd view it as a failure on the part of the front office. That would imply that this team still isn't anywhere near actually competing.

#63 Fyreball, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Nook and YOLO like this.
  4. Raven

Raven Member

You hoard the picks for the next disgruntled healthy top ten player.

#64 Raven, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Jontro, Plowman, Mr.Scary and 2 others like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

After the 2024 Season, Hopefully the Rockets show Improvement in Wins.

Maybe 2025 onward Nets Draft Pick is used for a Impact Player.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Even if the picks don't end up becoming top 5-10 selections, there is still is significant value in having a steady stream of first round capital year after year, particularly since we do not have ours in three of those years. Just think back to the Harden years in Houston from 2013-2020. How nice would it have been to even have some picks in the teens during those years? Morey would have been apoplectic over the flexibility it afforded him. That being said, maybe he's doing this to himself because his Sixers have the same problem his Rockets did: a top heavy team, no depth whatsoever, not enough 3 and not enough D, scraping the bottom of the barrel from prospects languishing on the worst teams in the league, trying to find some diamonds in the rough.

If we somehow become competitive from 2024 onwards, then we'll be thanking our lucky stars we have the ability to have some reinforcements coming in the form of the draft, or the trade equity that those picks could bring us. No need to package them all up for a perceived "last" piece when we are still two or three big pieces away to begin with.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Delete

#67 Aruba77, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    Jontro and don grahamleone like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm in the camp that you keep the pick unless there's a can't miss deal out there for an amazing player that is part of the longterm future.

Because the Rockets are, and still should be trying to be a team that is investing in future talent.

I love this team, but THIS TEAM IS NOT A CONTENDER (at least yet).

No, you won't get another crack at a Jalen Green, or Jabari Smith type of top 3 prospect.... BUT you could absolutely could get a Capela, Eason, Cam Whitmore, or even a Sengun type of prospect with the Brooklyn pick. Sengun is just as good of a player as Jalen is anways. After the top tier Lebron, Hakeem, Shaq type of cannot miss #1 picks, it really just comes down to the homework you do to find the right players in the forest of players from 2 to 20.

The Rockets still need talent folks. Especially if there are bigs in this draft that could potentially fit longterm either as a backup to Sengun to diversify our talent pool in the big spot, or another top tier true PG that can be groomed to backup FVV eventually.

don grahamleone, Plowman and jim1961 like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Let them ride until we have a clear target and a clear need.

Neither target or need is clear at this time IMO.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

2024 looks like it will be late lotto at best barring a miracle. But there is still promise over the next 3 years. These are still very valuable!

joshuaao, Plowman, xaos and 2 others like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The way I see it is that the Rockets have 4 more shots at the Nets crapping the bed/some lottery magic to get a Top 4 pick (if the Nets finished with 14 worst record/no playoffs for 4 years, that is still about 1 in 12 chance the Rockets end up with a Top 4 pick). This year, they have some guys that will be unrestricted free agents next year having good years, but they still have plenty of time to have a bad slump this season to end up in the lottery. I see Brooklyn holding out hope that they can get a star. If they don't get a star, I expect the Nets will have at least one bad year in the next 4.

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Bro Miles is on the Hornets. Anyways I've been saying that the Nets would be decent. Mikal is an all-star and they have hardworking role players. It's wishful thinking to just assume that this will be a guaranteed lottery pick. Also insane for people to think that they'd trade Bridges for the picks back when nobody from this draft projects to be that good right now.

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I think that's very possible, but even if the Nets stay middle of the road, the cumulative haul of talent over time might not be that bad especially when you factor in how much Harden's value tanked after he left Houston. If the Rockets do their damn job in scouting the draft, getting three Tari Eason type of players STAGGERED over time while also holding trade chips isn't that bad. Keep in mind that the Sixers couldn't even extract Terrence Mann from the Clippers for Harden in the most recent deal, and I personally think Eason is a better prospect.

The Rockets have good assets to help the next stage of the rebuild. I really really hope Stone isn't as short sighted as some fans here in thinking that just because:

-The Rockets might be a decent team/not a contender though
    -The Nets might not be the worst team in history in 2024 guaranteeing them the next Wemby type draft pick

That the Rockets just have to act desperate to get off of the pick like it's going to set you on fire if you just use it. There will be some good players at 14 to 20 even in a poor draft. Stone just needs to do a much better job than he did with TyTy, Christopher, and Garuba. If you are just going to draft someone like TyTy who you aren't going to play then yeah... trade the pick if you can. But that's just assuming horrible talent evaluation which we might or might not have anyways.

Given where the Rockets are going to be over the next 5 years, it's important more than anything that Tillman invests heavily in scouting. Because that might be what gets us over the hump from being a fun play in team to a true contender where we can bundle good prospects in a trade for a star, or have one of our young "good" players become GREAT.

Plowman likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Given our success so far and Sengun's breakout season I've changed my vote to cash 'em, but only if we can get an all-star age 26 or younger who doesn't come with red flags (so no Zion, Ja, et all). There's a chance we could be very fringey contenders as soon as next season, but I still think our real contending seasons are at least a couple years out. Thus, I want somebody who can still be at his peak when our young guys are hitting theirs in a few years. I don't want a guy who will already be in his 30s and in decline.

If we can't get a player like that, kick the can, I guess.

Plowman and jim1961 like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not giving up a kings ransom for a guy with red flags, definitely agree.
    A guy with red flags on the semi-cheap? Depends on what the red flags are.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To think, we already have Tari from this deal.

BKN is comprised of glorified role players + Bridges (who can't be your best player). The Nets have some late first rounders & Cam.. that's it. They've been surprisingly competitive so far, but it's unsustainable. I don't see them staying healthy either.

We need to let those picks ferment...

That said, it wouldn't shock me at all if FVV and his contract are moved at next year's deadline with some of these.

joshuaao, don grahamleone and jim1961 like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cash them in we do not need more 19 year olds....lets ride or die with what we have.

They don't forment they are due in the next 3 years.

DD

Plowman and Jontro like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

cash em in so we can be rich

Dredd likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

The Rockets should be predatory, but we also still owe 2 more picks and 1 swap to OKC.

Also sooner than later we will we have a higher payroll and 1st round picks can help alleviate the roster issues that comes with a high payroll.

I still feel like this is going to be an evaluation season where we make minor moves.

Corrosion and jcmoon like this.