1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Toronto is tanking err has incentive to keep their pick.

1-6: keep it
    7-30: to San Antonio

joshuaao, pippendagimp and Aruba77 like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You know, I was looking at Kevin O'Conners mock draft last night. And I honestly couldn't find anybody to get overly excited about in the 2-12 range that meets our needs. Sarr could be that different look at center we would like, but that's not likely. I, personally, don't like Risacher. His only marketable skill is shooting, but he only has one year of good three point shooting and his free throw shooting is still pretty mediocre. I don't believe it's real.

I like Cody Williams, Ron Holland and Ryan Dunn as pros, but do we need any of them? They're all defensive minded small forwards that can't shoot. To me, adding pretty much anyone to this roster who can't shoot (outside of the center position) is a no. And we really don't need more depth at the position that Brooks, Eason, Cam all play and that both Amen and Jalen can play spot minutes in. (maybe if you plan to trade Jalen and move Cam to the two it makes some sense. Especially if you don't plan to hold on to Brooks forever).

Topic is basically less athletic Amen. Tall point guard who can't shoot. If we didn't have Amen, maybe he's worth a look. But we do.

I love Reed Sheppard but I've heard some scouts speculate that he might be as short as 6'1. He's not a natural point guard, and might even be under-sized if he were. I guess I wouldn't hate the pick because he plays tenacious high motor high effort defense and he is a good shooter, but man, I'm not sure he's not another one of those guys who are incredible in college but can't pan out in the NBA because they're just too physically limited. If he shows up to camp and exceeds his current measurements (which seems unlikely) I would get way more excited about him.

I don't like Dillingham. He's too small and he's more of a scoring guard than a point guard.

I like Stephon Castle but he can't shoot, and again, I am very afraid of adding more non-shooters to this squad.

I don't believe in Filipikowski either. Amazing shooter, but I just don't see him as an NBA starter. He might find a role as a shooter off the bench. If that's all we want him for, then great, but does that excite anybody?

I think the guys I like the best out of his lottery picks for our needs are Ja'Kobe Walter, Kevin McCullar Jr, and Matas Buzelis. Ja'Kobe doesn't appear to be star potential to me, but he looks like a two way player. Shoots well. Same with Kevin McCullar Jr. Low upside. He's 23. But he plays defense and shoots well. And Matas Buzelis would be the high upside guy. He has height, length, passing vision. Has been a terrible shooter in the g league, which is worrisome, but there are just so many other things to like potential wise, I think I could forgive it. The only thing is that he would need to put on some strength to play PF in the NBA and again, we're stacked at SF.

There are guys that are slotted to go late in the draft in Yves Missi and Ke'lel Ware whose archtype I at least like for us. I am not encourage by the knock on Ware, which is effort and consistency. I love Donovan Clingan but worry he'd get murdered on switches in the NBA.

I also like Tyrese Proctor.

But I think I hope we somehow get lucky and have our pick land in the top 4 and then we package it with the Nets pick for somebody good. I'm happy with our young core (for the most part) and weary of adding more young players to the mix if we want to move forward. I'd rather keep the future Nets picks though. 2025 and 2026 are bringing some amazing talents to the NBA. I'd love even a long shot at guys like Cooper Flagg, AJ Dybantsa, Ace Bailey, Cam Boozer, etc.

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think in that range you're just hopeing for someone that's going to be a solid-ass role player. Sheppard looks like he could fit that bill. I also wouldn't mind punting the pick for some obscure euro-stash player I've never heard of.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree. Though I'd like a starter quality roleplayer. I just know Sheppard better hit a growth streak before the combine. If he's 6'1 or even 6'2 I am not going near him. I'm hesitant at 6'3. Davion Mitchell ring any bells?

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think Sheppard could have played PG in the NBA of yesteryear. His passing ability and decision making are elite. Unsure if his defense will ever be average, which may limit his minutes. His NBA destination may be backup PG.

#725 No Worries, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sheppard honestly reminds me of FVV. His defense is incredibly good for his height. He might be a better shooter though. Similar issues with finishing around the rim. Handles, maybe not as good, but Fred's weren't as good as they are now when he first fought his way into the league either.

Shark44 and roslolian like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Stupid cavs

roslolian and Joe Joe like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree the clear need for the Rox is a shooting wing with defense, basically another shot at a Jalen archetype which is the missing piece on this team right now.

Off the top of my head Shepherd, Matas Buzelis, Cody W, Risachier, Furphy, these would all help our team IMO. I wouldn't even worry about Shepherd height because Amen is 6'7 and can guard the opponent SG while Shepherd guards the PG.

Under Ime the Rox already have one of the best transition defenses and that's with them lacking good 3 pt shooting, all those clanks result in more opponent attempts. Once we have a competent shooter both defense and offense will be much improved. If we had a Malik Monk type player all season long the Rox would be in the playoff hunt imo.

#728 roslolian, Mar 10, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    Y2JT likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ja’Kobe Walter

roslolian likes this.
  10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The book of Williamson Chapter 1

Williamson likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One knock on all this -

You mention Cody Williams with Ron Holland and Ryan Dunn who are poor shooters, Dunn probably isn't a lottery pick - Williams is actually shooting better than Risacher from all three levels - 590/460/708 Vs 500/446/691.

Cody Williams is probably the #2 shooter in this draft behind Sheppard. Obviously at 6'8" with very good ball skills, he's the higher rated overall player. Remind me an awful lot of T-Mac, long guard, great shooter from all over. He's also a top tier defender.

I like both Williams & Risacher ahead of Sarr.

Williamson and roslolian like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sarr is the safer pick but Williams and Risachier will prob turn out better in the long run.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say I don't watch much Colorado basketball. The ball skills pop. On the shooting, volume matters. Risacher makes over twice as many threes as Wiliiams on a close efficiency on a per minute basis. I'd guess Risacher is the better long range shooter while Williams's fluidity makes him a much better finisher inside the arc.

I'd be very happy with Wllliams, Risacher, Sarr, or Sheppard. I'm not set on order of preference for the Rockets.

roslolian and kspires999 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I won't argue that, I was just pointing out that Williams isn't a poor shooter on the level of Holland & Dunn as @Williamson stated in the post I responded to.

A big part of that success as a shooter is the shots he doesn't take ..... Williams is very disciplined in that aspect for a young prospect.
    You don't see him take many bad shots at all. That's why he's averaging 59% from the floor and 47% from 3. The 66% from inside the arc is extremely impressive for a wing player.
    That's the kind of numbers you expect from a big that gets spoon fed lob dunks & putbacks.

Risacher's shooting definitely translates - those Euro players start with the fundamentals and shooting is high on that list. I really don't think there is a wrong choice between the two.

I think it's a myth that this is a weak draft. There's a few guys with a chance to be special players and some great shooters.

Duke PG Jared McCain is another one of those good shooters - he has an outside shot at finishing 50/40/90 on the season at 488/406/873.
    Marquette PG Tyler Kolek is another who could pull off a 50/40/90 ..... he's currently 486/400/880 and probably a 2nd round pick.

#734 Corrosion, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Williamson likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Traditional logic would be Dillingham, as a future point guard.

At 6'2" and what is viewed as a frame that he can fill out - Rob has the ability to score inside and outside, and still a teenager, he has the ability to likely defend at a competent level - viewed as a long term starter with good development over the next few years.

However it is 2024 - and guys are not as pigeonholed as often now.... so I think some teams will prefer Sheppard, because he is an elite three point shooter, he is a very good defender with possibly the quickest hands in basketball and he also tends to make the plays that lead to winning. He passes well but isn't a long term point guard. Even though he is only 6'3", he can defend longer players because he uses his weight really well.

I personally like both of them. I think that Reed will likely fit in quicker, he has a very high aptitude for the game. He will need to show that he can increase his volume some-what as a shooter.

Long term having Thompson and Sheppard on the floor together would be very interesting.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He is a weird prospect. His defense is actually very good because of his instincts and incredibly quick hands.

He can handle the ball and find open players, but he really isn't a very creative passer.

He is able to pass into the post, hit open and contested distance shots and does well in transition.

He is short - and he hasn't shown that he can be a volume shooter - so there is concerns there.

What I can say is that he does know what he is doing on the court, the basketball IQ is there.

Does that translate? I would say almost no chance 20 years ago, but the league is very different now.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt any prospect in the 2024 draft would go Top 4 last year. Risacher may be the top pick this year. It is harder to see the international players, but his stats make him seem like a poor man's Brandon Miller without the off court stuff.

Sarr, Holland, Buzelis, and Topic are all lottery likely guys that are shooting less than 30% behind the arc (Buzelis has a reputation as a shooter). Sarr, if he could rebound better, would not need to be a better shooter, but it is just tough to have a center not getting boards that isn't helping besides for rim protection.

Dunn has an outside shot at being in the lottery despite not having an outside shot.

There will be guys that develop into good/great NBA players. I just think it is going to be harder for teams to figure out who those guys will be.

If Risacher, Williams, and Sheppard are gone before Detroit picks, who is the top guy on their board? Fit shouldn't play a part in drafting (at least early except as a tie breaker inside a tier), but I'm not sure they can handle another non-shooter.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon, we're not getting a role player with this pick...whether, it be via the draft, or a trade for a young veteran stud. The Rockets are positioned too well, and they'll seize the opportunity with that value.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Go best big available. Especially if it kicks Boban off the roster. I’d rather a project big than Boban

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

JJ Reddick managed to make it as a short unathletic non-PG!