1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

More opportunities will present themselves if we are patient. I would give up the 2024 pick and Jalen for him, no other FRPs.

roslolian and MystikArkitect like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

This offer better be on the table. People are holding on to the fallacy that we're going to get a superstar via trade but they are not on the move. The supermax deals stopped that from happening. The only ones you'll get are fringe-no defense stat padders like Lillard/Mitchell.

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How about this. I'm trying to be fair to both sides.

Hou in: Bridges, Sharpe
    Nets in: Ja. Green, Je. Green, Tate, 2024 RFP, 2025 Swap

Bridges and Sharpe set our team. Bridges can provide the secondary scoring and two-way play we need, and Sharpe can serve as our longterm backup center/PF given he is on his rookie deal. For the Nets, they get three usable/tradeable pieces, and they can tank for two years, which makes sense given Ben Simmons comes off their books in 2025. This sets them up, potentially, to get back into the swing of things in 2026.

4. HealthyHamstring

If you are putting the 2024 1RP, 2025 Swap and Jalen Green on the table, we will need more than that.

I do think this trade proposal is close however if you change the 2025 swap to the 2027 swap. Allows us to move more into a win now mode while still being able to capitalize on Brooklyn being inept in 2025 and 2026

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't know what I was looking at. Maybe apron?

Spotrac has them at $116.5M in active contracts for next season.
    NBA salary cap is expected to be ~$142M most places I see.
    Cutting everyone and assuming $5M in incomplete roster charge would give them $120.5M in salaries.

Without stretching or dumping salary at deadline, that's ~22M in cap space with Simmons, Johnson, Bridges, Finney-Smith, Thomas, Sharpe, Clowney, and Whitehead.

Are you talking this offseason or are you saying Spotrac's numbers are way off? I havent looked at stretch rules, but I can't see how they have significant cap space this summer and retain Claxton as Claxton's cap hold is $16.6M.

I do think the draft capital the Nets have is good, but if they blow it on improving this team, that would leave them with 3 FRPs over a 7 year period. To have 3 FRPs in 7 years, a team has to be stacked to make it doable.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it...I think the Nets are trying to play chicken with Stone.

I just can't see them spending draft capital to improve this team.

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  7. HealthyHamstring

Barring them selling it all for Donovan Mitchell in the offseason, which they might, the Nets are on the verge of tear down mode

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Dangerous strategy.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Let it ride, with how bad our defense has gotten and slipping out of the play in for now, this is really the only thing I have to look forward to entertain me if we don't make the play in. Every Nets loss is something to look forward to, and i they end up with a chance at a top pick again this year at least it will make the summer interesting.

jcmoon likes this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If we were getting a quality SG in return then I think it makes sense, the front court seems OK for what we have already.

12. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Or way past their prime stars on horrible contracts. You are not getting a Top 5-10 player in their prime.

roslolian and MystikArkitect like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another one bites the dust. Deeper, and deeper...6 or 7.

Rvo384 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think this is a fair deal however not sure why Rox would do this deal. Bridges is extremely overrated, at 26 he will be old when Sengun is ready to contend which is around 5 yrs from now. So getting him isn't really a long term play he is more of a "win now" guy and his time line is more along the lines of FVV and Brooks who are just stop gaps.

Currently, Nets are on pace to give us the top 7 pick, we really gonna give that up to win more regular season games? Bruh.

jcmoon and HD729 like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah we can just use it ourselves and add another top 10 pick. Sengun is 21 bro, some rookies are older than him.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I keep rewatching to understand... why... Lol

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way do you deal Jalen + ANY Brooklyn pick or swap for Bridges...C'mon.

jcmoon likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

The 2024 nba draft is so incredibly weak. adding another kid who isn't even that good isn't the way to go on a team already crowded enough to find meaningful minutes for most of their core

If the rockets can package it for a damn good deal for someone like Bridges you definitely do it and maximize it's value. the rest of his deal is only 2 years and he's still in his early prime age. Bridges would be a great fit on this team as they try to move forward to winning basketball

The next real prize draft will be 2025

#399 YOLO, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  20. MystikArkitect

Bridges is a miles better player than Jalen + the 2024 FRP combined. Green's value is only going to drop further and further with every 4th quarter turnover/stuff at the rim. This team doesn't need another project and the only real target in the draft should be Sarr/Filipowski. Who don't really fill your biggest position of need which is....shooting guard. Cam is the future but he won't be ready next year. Let him learn behind Bridges.

Y2JT and ArtV like this.