1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Let 'em ride

164 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I honestly don't think the Rockets have enough picks right now to compete with other rebuilding teams that have better stashes. Namely OKC who owns maybe the best trade asset in the entire league right now with the Rockets 2024 pick.

So no I'm weary of trading any picks right now. Regardless if they are the Nets picks or ours.

However if we for some reason luck our way into a legit superstar signing here or being made available in a trade that'll also allow us to sign or trade for another star, yeah I would then put the Nets picks on the table for the 2nd star, or first the first star knowing that the second star can then be signed in free agency.

I think the conversation is mostly around Bridges who I really like but holy crap.... FOUR 1st round picks.... no thank you. The league has gone crazy at that point. Might not be as bad as Gobert, but could be pretty close. Bridges has definitely improved this year, but this was the year where there were openings and a need for the Suns to have him be an even bigger part of their offense, and I've seen no evidence that he's a supermax type of player who you can build your offense around. He's just a really good player that helps with everything.... but he's not that superstar talent IMO.

I would trade the Brooklyn picks or our own picks for Luka, Giannis, Embiid, Tatum, Jokic, Ja, and maybe Zion. Otherwise it's a situational conversation, but mostly likely a no.

2. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Agreed. No idea how folks are seeing them doing some magical U-turn that's going to see them somehow be good in the next few years. All they have is the big market and literally nothing else. How's that fared historically for them and the Knicks? As far as spending Tsai is far from the only owner ready/able to spend. And as we're seeing here lots of high picks doesn't mean you'll quickly be a good team.

I'm not worried at all that they'll somehow magically become competent all of a sudden when they have shown their organizational incompetence time and time again. We should keep the picks until we can use them for a no-doubt, home run star acquisition.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That would depend on what we can cash them in on. I suspect nothing right about now. However, if somebody like Luka, Tatum, Ja or Zion became available or if we could utilize some of them to move into the top 2 picks if we're unable to I would certainly consider doing it.

#23 Williamson, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    NewAge likes this.
  4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly after this year's draft we don't need another 1st for a year or two. We are going to have too many to develop. Green, Jabari, Tari, Sengun, New guy, etc. I'm good with trading them for an established player.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All FRPs are not equal. From Zach Lowe, at least one of the picks was protected and I guess it is likely from a team that is in a better position than Brooklyn. My guess is that 2 of the Brooklyn picks and the LAC pick would get Bridges if Brooklyn is reasonable (even that may be too much). Trading for Bridges would not mean the Rockets have lost 3 FRPs of value as they would still have Bridges to flip for FRPs or a star. Bridges is really the only non-star I would trade 2 of the Brookyn picks as he in the Rockets hands makes the other Brooklyn picks better and likely fits whoever the Rockets build around.

Caveat: I don't think it is too hard to be a late lottery team if the GM is trying to win games (i.e., not force feeding minutes to rookies who aren't ready).

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

This may be the best play, we just have to see what transpires this summer.

The Nets are not in that bad a situation anymore.

In 2023 they have 3 #1 draft picks.

In 2024 they don't have a #1 because they owe it to the Rockets

In 2025 they have a #1

In 2026 they don't have a draft pick because they owe it to the Rockets.

In 2027 they have 2 unprotected #1's

In 2028 they have 2 unprotected #1's

In 2029 they have 2 unprotected #1's.

So, they have 10 first rounders over the next 7 years.

Also, if they want to, they can get a LOT for Bridges and Cam Johnson. Those two are likely worth 5 first rounders.... and Finney-Smith is worth a mid first rounder as well.

Financially they are stuck with Ben Simmons, but other than that, they can clear cap space fairly easily, as the rest of the roster has players that have some value around the league.

So they have plenty of assets and ways to improve and win sooner than later if that is how they choose to play it. Having said that, I think they will be gun shy to do that.

You are under-estimating them.

While they lack a star player, they have guys that are very good defensively, they are very deep and they have players that are ready for larger roles.

Bridges is a very good player, that can take on a larger role. Cam Thomas is in an absolute perfect situation because he is surrounded by defenders and shooters and athletes, he can focus just on scoring.

They are not going to be a top 4-5 team in the East without star power, but they are an over .500% team.

The Rockets are going to get picks in the middle of the draft most likely, and those have value, but I don't think we should assume they are making the lottery unless they decide to start trading players like Bridges, Johnson and Finney-Smith.

You are a knowledgeable poster, but I don't think they are in a really bad spot at all honestly, especially when you consider they gutted their draft not long ago for Harden. They have plenty of draft picks that are all unprotected from other teams, they have salaries that are easily moveable outside of Ben Simmons.... they have an owner that will actually go into the tax and they have a lot of players with value.

Pistol Pete, cml750 and J.R. like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

People don't realize how good Bridges is.

Defensively he is one of the 3 best wing defenders in the NBA. He was all NBA First Team Defense last year if I remember correctly. He can guard perimeter and interior players with his 7'2" wingspan, and solid athleticism. Offensively he has become a very good three-point shooter, he is solid on two point shots and money from the free throw line.

He can pass some and doesn't turn the ball over and is an efficient player.

He is also signed for 4 years at under market value.

The Harden era Rockets would gladly give up 3-4 first rounders for a player like that.

As far as a fit with the Rockets, a lot of it depends on where the Rockets land in the draft and if they get rid of Silas and Stone.

If the Rockets get someone like Henderson or Wemby in the draft.... they adding someone like Bridges makes a lot of sense.... the Rockets would also have some cap space left, and would be a lot more appealing to free agents than they are currently.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This couldn't be any further from the truth.

They have a LOT that rival GM's want, they have plenty of draft assets and outside of Simmons, they can move just about anyone on their roster.

YOLO likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, those won’t be becoming available….
    What’s scary is that 3 of these 4 young superstars are in our division. If Spurs nail this draft and we blow it, we’ll be stuck at the bottom of the division for a generation. Scary!

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I think the count down for Luka to demand out had started BEFORE they traded for the most divisive personality in the league. I wouldn't rule out Luka demanding a trade in the next few years at all.

11. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

Can u guys stop dreaming plz? Bridges is 26 and one of the best 3&d player is the keague no way nets let him go for less then 5 first round picks. Luka and greek freak no chance they are each worth 10 first round picks unprotected and 2 or 3 good young player. Tatum ja and zion are each 7 first rounder and 1 or 2 good young player and no star player would sign in Houston there are bigger market and better owner gm and coach then here

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would definitely give up all of the Net picks and swaps for Bridges and Cam. That is 2 very solid vets. If the Nets hang on to those guys they are a trade away from being 5 or 6 in the East. The Rockets don’t need any more rookies for the next several years. A starting lineup like this will get us into playoff contention next year:

Scoot or FA/trade sign, Tyty
    Jalen Green, KPJ, Josh
    Bridges, Cam Johnson, KJM
    Wembi or Jabari, Tari, Cam
    Sengun, Wembi or Jabari, Garuba maybe a backup FA Center as well

If we don’t get Scoot or Wemby then KPJ, Josh, KJM, Cam are trade bait for a PG and backup Center. You can hate on Stone all you want, but he has done exactly what he set out to do, get high frp’s while we still had our picks and lots of cap space. Let’s hope the Nets want to tank. Just have to fire Silas and bring in a good coach.

Nook likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Nets have a bunch of role players, and.... for the first few years, negative draft capital. On top of us raping and pillagng into 2027, they have crappy Phoenix 1sts. ..Things get better with the 2029 Phoenix & Dallas picks. But, make no mistake, this is an imploson, and you can forget about any near turn upside as a contender. Phoenx went all in on KD, but they're going to be real good for a long stretch even if he does go down. Ayton put up 24/14/2 in the last 10 game, and Booker's a monster. Those picks are weak. Yes, they have the POTENTIAL to be great, but I don't see BKN benfitting from an unlikely confluence of events even close to the degree that we did.

And, I have to say...the impulsive/impatient nature that so many have shown from the get go blows me away. No sense of the long view, every step of the way... from keen basketball minds. Damn, Man.

#33 Plowman, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    luckyman76 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Cash most of them in after the draft...as then we'll know what roster holes to fill.
    Our FRPs belong to OKC in '24 and '26, we need to be good next year.
    This roster is nowhere near even a .500 / play-in team.

The premise that future Brooklyn picks and pick swaps are guaranteed to be high picks is flawed.
    Brooklyn has a higher floor than we do - with a solid roster base of Bridges, DFS, Claxton, Dinwiddie, Cam Johnson & Cam Thomas.
    Most of those guys will actually play defense in addition to scoring. The Nets now have more draft picks going forward than we do.

This needs to be a very active offseason, and we need to find ways through trades to use the $60M cap space to get a lot better quickly.

16. Nook

Nook Member

First, the NETS have three #1 picks in the upcoming draft.

Crappy Suns picks? KD is 34 years old and CP3 is closer to 40 than 30. They will still have Booker, so I don't think they will be a bottom feeder, but those picks right now have more value that the Rockets Nets' picks do.

Long view? You want long view? Don't give the keys to your franchise to a guy that has a checkered past, that doesn't treat people well, that is late to practice and doesn't give consistent effort........... don't hire a weak head coach and then undermine him on top of it...... don't have an organization that has ZERO accountability..... Consider how the players fit together, and have a vision for how your team will be (something the Rockets don't have). If you want long term vision, don't have people like Wood and Porter on your team around younger players.

Having said all that, it could still work if they get Wemby or Henderson in the draft....... but all the Rockets have done is decide to lose as many games as possible without doing anything to position the players they draft to grow or develop good habits.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Cash me outside. How bout dat??

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Cash em in for what?
    Anthony Edwards
    Dejounte Murray
    Bradley Beal
    Jimmy Butler
    Bam Adebayo

What team is ready to fold and trade there superstar this year??

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Let 'em ride.

If, just 1 time in the next 4 years, the Nets miss the playoffs, then we have an extra set of lottery balls in our favour.

I can't see their pick being 25+ next year.

Having said that, if the right deal became available one would have to think about it

20. jb86

jb86 Member

I say cash in for a really good piece. We have enough young guys now after this next draft. God willing us to get Wemby. We will need at least 2 legit vets that’s actually done something in this league. We got money too. Make something happen…