1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broncos vs Colts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 3, 2004.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Broncos had a good year. Especially when you consider it was Plummer's first. The horsies just bit off more than they could chew. And the Colts were amped. Great matchups next weekend. The Colts will no longer be on Turf unless they get the Titans. That will slow them down by the bunches. They are just like the Rams. A turf team. But a damn good one.

2. junglerules

junglerules Member

Agreed. However, I really think the Colts will be able to move the ball on the ground vs. the Chiefs much better than they would against the Pats. That is huge for their play action game, which is how Manning seems to eat up defenses. First team to 40 wins!! :)

(I'm probably not joking....)

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Manny, I think Shanahan is the NFL version of Bob Stoops (arrogant sob but heck of a coach). The Broncos have been one of the most successful teams in the league since he has been there. Further, his QBs have not been great, it was the 40 year old version of Elway, Griese, now Plummer. I don't like the Broncos nor Shan--but odds are a change would be poor.

I don't think you need to worry, if Indy doesn't take the Chiefs out the Pats (or event he Titans will). Trully no defense teams never go far in the playoffs.

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

Perhaps, but I think one can also make the argument that Elway was the reason for the Bronco success under Shanahan. That may seem like a dumb point, but what I'm getting at is that a Hall of Fame QB in Elway may have made Shanahan look better than he actually was. I think it remains to be seen, and injuries have definitely been a factor in recent years, especially with Plummer and Portis being banged up this year. However, I can't recall the Broncos doing much in the playoffs since Elway retired. Have they had the talent needed to succeed? I'm not sure. I think it's just something to consider.

With that said, I don't think he deserves the axe yet, unless you want to judge him on his injury list manipulations. :) Fantasy football players nationwide hate him. :)

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

junglerules,

This was the 2nd time that the Broncos have made the playoffs since Elway has retired. They made it in 2000 (the year that the Ravens won the Super Bowl) and lost to Baltimore in Baltimore like 23-3 or something. Griese was their QB but was hurt and they had to go with Gus Frerotte, *shiver*.

They have had talent but they have had some injury problems and their defense has been mediocre for the most part. That is why it was so depressing to see them get their asses handed to them today because their defense this season was actually pretty good.

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

That's right. I remember that game now. It was pretty unwatchable, especially when Frerotte came into the game. I'll be really interested to see what happens with them next year. I really hope Lelie is ready to step into the #2 wr slot and succeed. He showed growth this year, but with Eddie McCaffrey on his last legs, and Sharpe getting older, they really need some more options on pass plays. I love that Plummer gives them so scrambling ability at QB, but he still has some maturing to do at QB. I love Portis, and the big play capability he brings to that team. I hope he can stay healthy, though. All in all, we'll see what happens next year. That division is really down, other than KC, and they need to try to take advantage of that.

If you are Denver, Manny, where do you look in the draft? Position-wise, I mean? What do you perceive as their biggest area of need? I really think they need some more help on D, maybe in the secondary. I know they suffered a lot of injuries, but I think that they have to improve the DB's. LB's are ok, just too many injuries. I think their D line could be better, but they played surprisingly well most of the year.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Definitely the secondary. Kenoy Kennedy is a big hitter but not a great cover guy. Sam Brandon would be lucky to start for half the teams in the league.

They tried addressing CB in the past with Deltha O'Neal and Willie Middlebrooks but neither are starters now with Middlebrooks being a bigger bust than O'Neal.

The defensive line could use some help although a lot of that stemed from Mike not getting along with Daryl Gardener who along with Plummer was their big FA signee.

Linebacker is okay as you have to remember that Ian Gold suffered a knee injury (or at least I think it was a knee injury) that caused him to miss the rest of the season.

Lelie started to show signs of stepping up, so I think they are okay at WR as Rod Smith probably has 2 to 4 more seasons left in him. I would love to see them get better on the O-Line as 4 penalties by Dan Neil absolutely killed them (Dan has always been an overachiever).

But I am afraid that the Broncos biggest need is for someone to step up and be the leader of the team. It shouldn't be Shannon Sharpe and probably not Portis either. It has to be Jake Plummer but whether he can really be a leader is something that remains to be seen.