1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brittney Griner in jail…….in Russia!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Newlin, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner arrested in Russia on drug charges
    https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/all-star-brittney-griner-arrested-in-russia-on-drug-charges/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

WNBA All-Star and Olympic champion Brittney Griner faces 5 to 10 years in Russian prison after she was arrested on drug smuggling charges when she was found with vape cartridges in her carry-on luggage at a Moscow airport, according to Russian news sources.

Russia’s Interfax news agency said a female US basketball player was arrested in February, at Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow after arriving on a flight from New York.

A drug sniffing dog indicated narcotics in luggage, and when the bag was X-rayed, “so-called ‘vapes'” were discovered “with a specific order,” according to Interfax, which cited the Russian Federal Customs Service.

“The expert found that the liquid is a narcotic drug cannabis oil (hashish oil),” Interax said.

The independent Russian news website identified the player as Griner.

Interfax said she was detained as a “preventive measure.” There was no indication she was released.

A spokesman for her WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury, could not immediately be reached for comment. USA Basketball did not immediately respond to a request for information. Griner hasn’t posted on her Instagram account since Feb. 5.

Griner, 31, a member of the 2014 WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury and the 2016 Olympics gold medal team, has played during the WNBA off-season for the Russian team Ekaterinburg in the Euroleague since 2015.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

oh damn. shes been there for a month.. uh oh..

#2 DreamShook, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    deb4rockets likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

Terrible news. Why risk it? Giving me midnight express vibes.

4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Holy $”;!

not the best jail to be in either as an American

deb4rockets likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Good to see Russias drug laws are as good as ours….

#FreeBG

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm sorry, but you gotta know to be more careful than that in Russia! Did nobody tell her?!....What awful timing. Here's to hoping for her timely release! (But it seems unlikely).

jdiggidy likes this.
  7. DreamR

DreamR Member

I bet she can last in that jail cell longer than Demarcus Cousins could

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Some people think they can get away with the stuff in America everywhere around the world. Never assume, most countries have more stringent laws and corrupt police forces than even our own.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

She has been playing ball in Russia going back to 2014. She has spent a lot of time in Russia. It’s not like this is the first time she went through the Moscow airport. Just incredibly stupid on her part.

deb4rockets and STR8Thugg like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That is horrible, but imagine being stupid enough to think you should get on an international flight (to Russia no less) and bring vape cartridges. Lord.

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Please explain what "rights" she has as an American citizen in Russia.

That is a horrifying situation to be in.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Russians are going to use her as leverage. Wow

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

She's 6-8, that's a lot of leverage.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just goes to show that even if you go to Baylor, you can't be taught common sense. Just a stupid risk for someone that surely knew better. I feel for her though, because years in a Russian prison is a horrible punishment for something like cannabis oil. I mean, you can kill yourself drinking a whole bottle of Russian vodka, but alcohol is legal.

That being said, what the hell was she thinking? Stupid, stupid, stupid risk! Sorry, I've seen enough locked up abroad shows to know they make our prisons look like a country club. All for a buzz. Sad.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

My own wake up call... was in the Cayman Islands after the hurricane scuba diving, and decided to go on walkabout to get some photos of the hurricane damage. Wasn't really thinking about the fact I was walking on private property like a paparazzi of the Brits rich and famous when MI6 wrapped me up and started interrogating me. They didn't believe my story. oops. That's when I was woke.

[​IMG]

#15 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  16. HardenVolumeOne

I remember when “Orangeman bad” used his power to get liangelo ball out of China and rapper asap rocky out of Swedish prison.

will Jim Crow joe do the right thing and bring britany back home

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How many millions of votes did Trump lose his two elections by?

it’s not his fault really though. Republicans have won one single popular vote since November of 1987. I’ll say it again one single time have they received more votes since 1987, 35 years.

Regarding your post though perhaps he can use the money he pays black people to be behind the camera for his speeches and instead use it for her bail.

18. HardenVolumeOne

the democrats formed the kkk, and were againist integration. You won’t find those two bits of info until you do you’re research like I did. Young black men(millennials and gen z combined) are not buying what the democrats are selling anymore

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

They sure did. Now all of their grandchildren and great grandchildren are voting Republican. There is a reason why some the dumbest Republicans (there are many smart one’s as well that are normal human beings) are attending white supremacy conferences and are flat out racist.

Read a few books man and learn history.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

By the way. You shouldn’t have to try to find “those bits of info” it should be common knowledge. Perhaps look a little deeper and be open to what your preconceived notions are regarding what groups of people are truly bigoted in this country. It sure the f*ck is not me. I’m a white male in Texas. I have been around enough white people to know who will use the N word and don’t generally like other races. It’s always going to be a Trump/Repub person. Yes there are also plenty of ignorant racist blacks and other racists as well that supported Obama etc.

deb4rockets likes this.