1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Ty Lawson off the bench.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Ty Lawson needs to come off the bench.

At least for now. Harden is struggling without the ball in his hand. He isn't active off the ball and his shot is bad.

Harden's defense is best served next to Bev's, and not Lawson. These two together on the floor will get picked apart by top tier teams in the west. Bev is critical because of his defense.

Also, Lawson would be the perfect spark off the bench, both scoring and distributing, especially to the young, excellent bigs we have. Lawson, with Harrell, Capela, and Brewer is excellent.

I know many will consider this a kneejerk, but for the first part of the season, I think it's the most effective way to play these guys. Slowly let James and Ty play together, because right now, it's not working.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lawson has been a major disappointment so far. Very passive. I know he can turn it around, but I don't understand some of the things I'm seeing.

I've been a McHale apologist, but I'm starting to really resent our pick-up ball style offense. We need to figure things out, and quickly.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How the **** does it matter?

We have no structured offense. It's the same garbage pick up style 24 hr fitness offense.

Unless we are on the fast break, we have zero idea how to get an open look or basket. Everything is forced.

All that is coaching or lack thereof.

4. Two Sandwiches

The beauty of this team is also it's downfall. We've got so many interesting pieces that can blend together in a billion ways. The problem is, I'm afraid our coach is unable to process and adapt the pieces to work together.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

At this point it really comes down to hitting shots.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. They need to do something. The starters look terrible.

7. hakeemthagreat

Oh now we want to appreciate Bev? I thought Bev was garbage and was overrated defensively:rolleyes:

8. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

At this point it comes down to coaching. These two should thrive off each other. It's a shame they run the McHale offense.

9. Two Sandwiches

Who said that? That's silly talk.

He's one of the glue guys.

10. mockster

mockster Member

This isn't gonna accomplish anything.

The whole team is playing horrid.

While I agree the harden-lawson combo is akward with them not really knowing eho should control the ball.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Have been saying this for a while. It makes perfect sense. I dont understand why ppl find it so hard to understand it. Kerr last year decided to bring iguodala off the bench and look where it got them.
    Lawson + Harden to start the game means horrible perimeter defence plus bad playmaking for the second unit.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No bring Harden off the damn bench.

13. Two Sandwiches

This team looks just awful. They need some seasoning playing together. McHale is failing them badly.

Even Van Gundy mentioned staggering their minutes.

It's like classic Houston sports team. Look great on paper. Fail in the big moments. Ehh...I need to give it more than two games I guess.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bring Harden off the bench.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Lawson as a starter isn't an issue.

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Y'all just can't remember the fact that this team lives and dies with Harden, at least in the regular season. It is actually worse that Ty Lawson is handling the ball. Terrible fit with the team. Everyone is too used to standing around and waiting for Harden to make plays. Everyone needs to be cutting to the basket instead of standing around in a circle waiting for the ball handler to create space or draw doubles.

The other factor I believe is the Kardashian curse. Harden needs to dump her when he has a chance. No man wants a woman who straddles the fence.

Bad placement on the floor as well. You see these players who play the 4/5, they need to be either in the paint or they need to be going up for a high pnr. The only player who did this effectively throughout the whole game is Trez.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Does it matter? They will have to learn how to play together eventually.

What's the purpose of having great players if you can't get them to mesh together?

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why? I thought James said he was looking forward to having Ty and playing off the ball and cutting and doing this and doing that.

Now we relegate Ty to the bench because James can't/won't adapt?

And don't say defense. Everyone knew of Lawson's defense (or maybe lack thereof) before/at the time of the trade.

If James is the PG, fine, he's the PG. Then what the Rockets were looking for was a 2-guard/shooter/secondary playmaker. Ty doesn't sit and wait and stand in the corner for the 3pt. Chauncey is right, you might as well have just kept Beverley as the starter.

19. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Careful with this suggestion OP, you don't wanna blow some ppl away.

20. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Who said that?

There is like 3 whole threads on how "garbage" he is