1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring over V-Span now please !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 14, 2006.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thats funny because Damon S. is who I think of when I think of JLIII. Thats a pretty lofty comparison but they are both 5'11" and JLIII seems to play a lot like Stoudimire.

2. terse

terse Member

JL might prefer to play significant minutes in the Euroleague, as opposed to rotting in JVG's special hell for unproven rookies. JL can return next year, when JVG is gone (I hope).

Of course, I'm assuming Euroleague is an improvement over NBDL. I have no idea if that is true.

Somebody mentioned that JL3 wants desperately to play in the NBA. That's probably true. But he has to be realistic about his chances, especially when JVG is the dictator.

3. crash5179

The point is...if he is offered a contract on an NBA team he is signing. The only way a Euro team or any other team could trump an NBA team would be by giving him one hell of a money deal. That is just not going to happen.

4. terse

terse Member

Under my proposal, JL would be signing an NBA contract and earning an NBA salary, but he would be playing in Europe. I don't know if that has ever happened before. It does seem to be a good way to develop a promising young player. The kid is going to cost us a salary and maybe a spot on the roster, but if he won't be getting minutes here, he may as well get them there.

By the way, this is similar to how baseball and hockey's farm systems work, except that our farm would be in Europe. I think the NBA has been leeching off college players for too long; it's time to give something back.

5. Rockets Dynasty

John Lucas III either signs or forget him.

Travis Diener is also available and he might be even better for the same role.

I really don't udnerstand why Lucas just does not sign.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's weighing his options for each team. Probably worries that he won't get enough PT here. Maybe he's waiting to see if the rox bring another PG in like Banks for Vspan.

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

That's also dependent on the players around him at times. I think when we go small ball, with Battier at the 4, we will look to push it more. But then again, I've said it for the last 2 years..we'll look to push it more, never do. I thought Stromile and Skip would help us in that regard, oh well. We need some easy points, we are a terrible offensive team, more fast-break points are a necessity.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

something tells me that JL3 has a totally different view of jvg then you do. not surprising since you proabably can't name any of these so called unproven rookies that have been rotting in "jvg's special hell." cute, btw.
    stop promoting the myth.

9. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I wonder what number he might wear since he wears yaos 11... Also do you think some summer league time might do him some good?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Right. In effect, teams would use his man to double on Yao in much the same way they do now with Alston because teams know that he can't shoot either. Plus, even though he's 6-4, he's reportedly not that quick or athletic and hence would have a hard time defending Nash, Duhon, Harris and Parker - his counterparts at the PG spot. He's in Europe for a reason and that reason is that he's not an NBA-ready player yet.

11. HillBoy

Boy DD are you ever fickle! I thought that true love of your life was JJ Redick! :)

12. HillBoy

Yeah, good point. The feeling about the draft on this board would have have been WAY different if they'd gotten Memphis' 24th pick. Battier is a nice player but there's just no way he's worth the 8th pick in the lottery + another veteran player.

BTW, for those out there who are keeping score, this makes twice now that Memphis has wound up with Rockets' lotto picks.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not the same, JJ was a great shooter, not sure if V-Span is even any good.

I just want to get him over here to find out. If he has what it takes, it will take 2-3 years to really find out, and the sooner you start that clock, the better.

DD

14. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I still love JJ. The best thing about him going to the magic is that he gets to wear blue. He looks good in blue.

15. BobbyLI

BobbyLI Member

How much would V-Span cost us, the whole MLE or a part of the MLE :confused: ?

16. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I think what there saying is about half the MLE.

17. crash5179

You do relize that he shot 44% from 3pt land last year don't you?
    http://www.24sec.net/stats/compare.asp?compare=true&player1=22&player2=20

What reports? every report that I have seen touts his athletic ability and quicknes as one of his strengths.

He was in Europe developing his game. CD seems to think that it has developed enough to bring him over and have a major role on the team. Why exactly do you think his game has not develope?

18. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

But their 3pt shot is significantly closer than ours. I'm pro V-Span, and this would be the year to do it, but he's shifty, not all that quick or fast, and we'll have to see if he can hit the NBA three.

My gut feeling is that if the refs give him some respect, he'll do fine. In my mind, he kinda reminds me of a Mike James at age 33 or 34. It'd probably have been better to have the real deal at age 31, but at least V-Span will be cheaper and we'll have him for alot longer.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So you want to bring over a player you know nothing about....kinda weird if you ask me

20. Nero

Nero Member

Actually that was Ahmad Rashad's tongue.