1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring over V-Span now please !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Alston was "safe" with that ball. In other words he would push only to get it across half court and then set up a half court offense. He never tried to attack the defense EARLY in the set. I guess that's what I was getting at.

With Mike James (and I think Vspan) you see them not only getting the ball past half court quickly BUT ALSO attacking the basket early before the defense is set up. This is what Alston wouldn't do that I had a problem with.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Hasn't been increased to $500K? I thought I read somewhere that the NBA has increased the amount each team can contribute to a non-NBA player's buyout to $500k. I will try to find it.

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Way to tie your hands beforehand, Morey. And next time you do, at least get them to throw in their #24.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You know, adjusted for the NBA, Trajan's numbers are somewhat consistent with his Euro stats. I hope V-Span's tranlates well. Trajan can still be a good player in the NBA - at least better than Bowen Ryan (damn you JVG).

Tranjan's NBA numbers

On the NBA buyout clause, these are about all I can find now

http://raptors.fan.ca/index.php/archives/2006/03/07/splitting-hairs/

Sefolosha has a multiyear contract, but has a clear NBA buyout set at the end of each year for less than the maximum amount ($500000) NBA teams can pay.

5. terse

terse Member

I agree, DD, let's bring VSpan over. I think he's ready for the NBA.

How does the Euroleague compare with the NBDL? If the Euro is better, let's sign John Lucas 3 and send him to VSpan's old team. This would be a good way to develop the kid, and should also mollify Panathinaikos for creating a hole in their roster. We would be paying Panathinaikos to develop a player for us; I have no idea if the NBA would be OK with this move.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I, on general principal, don't want to see Alston attacking the basket unless it is purely a fastbreak or he has a full team in which to distribute the ball.

7. Ryan Bowen MVP

why would JL opt for Euro-ball when he has 5 diff teams offering him contracts?

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

you underestimate the euroleague

anyway, I would not send him anywhere, he needs to be on our bench

9. rserina

rserina Member

Um, so far as I understand, scouting and determining who you want and don't want is not a bad draft strategy: as a matter of fact, I thought that was the point of pre-draft workouts and such. But I am willing to be wrong here.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That is exactly what Sura did as well. He was aggressive as hell pushing the ball. I expect to see a lot of similarities between V-Span and Sura.

11. crash5179

I think you are underestimating JLIII's desire to play in the NBA.

12. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Shame about the timing of the Athens Final Four being Spring 2007. I wouldn't blame V-Span for wanting to stay.

This is the absolute perfect time for us to bring him over since the MLE candidates remaining are not worth spending the full amount on. If we have to wait until next year to bring him over, it will prevent us from signing a full MLE player for 07-08, meaning we'll then be signing bench fodder instead of a quality player.

With the way our offseason is our going, he will spurn us and we will start on Plan C in about two weeks.

The way things our going, this probably won't be our year anyway, so if V-Span is capable of contributing, get the usual rookie treatment with the refs out of the way now, so that 07-08 will be more promising.

13. Barak

Barak Member

I know it did but the only link I got is not in English... :\

by the way that doesn't matter at all for Antony Parker. He will pay his team in Europe the rest of his buyout out of his future salaries .

14. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The only thing I can say is speed kills. That's why I think V-span is going to be a disappointment.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

VSpan's the 6th man, offense off the bench. The starting point guard on his Euro team is Diamanditis or however it's spelt.

16. crash5179

Why :confused: Do you think he is too fast? :confused:

I've never heard that one before because he certainly is not slow by any stretch. One of V-Spans qualities is that he has very good athleticism and a great first step.

17. crash5179

Dimitris Diamantidis

Are you sure he is the starting point guard and not V-Spans back court mate? Him and V-Span average the 2nd and 3rd most minutes a game on that team respectively so they absolutely must spend a lot of time on the court together.

http://www.24sec.net/stats/team.asp?id=Panathinaikos

here is a comparison of the two players if you are interested. V-Span has some very impresive offensive stats including 3pt shooting which he hit at a rate of about 44%.

http://www.24sec.net/stats/compare.asp?compare=true&player1=22&player2=20

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I really wanted to Rocks to grab Parker. I don't know if they ever had a shot at getting him, but he's a Raptor, now. :(

19. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

im pro V Span at this point.

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

good point...

his desire to play for an NBA team is really high...watching the video it looks like he is giving 150%, he does look a little like might mouse back in the day

I still wanna see him play at least 30 min in a NBA game to throughly judge his plays