1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring over V-Span now please !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Im excited as hell bout V-Span... I would love to watch some of his 2006 FIBA Games in August i wonder if any of it will be aired here

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Thanks for the info jkg123.

As for V-span, more and more it seems like this is the perfect time to bring him over. There doesn't seem like there are any players left on the market worth a full MLE (aside from guys that will guarantee make more than that). So if we're going to split the MLE anyway then we might as well get V-Span over here now. Then we don't have to split it later when the free agent pickings could be a lot stronger.

3. jkg123

jkg123 Member

No problem. One other thing DM mentioned was they still had the MLE and 4.2m TE to use...even after the Snyder trade. They are very interested in bringing JL3 back. DM mentioned he's improved 100% since his short stint last year. Sounds like JL3 will be the 3rd point guard.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

TBS and NBATV will be airing games. Don't know the schedule but we might get to see him play. They are not in the same division as USA but they are in a relatively weak division so they should make it out of the first round. And then the sweet 16 where they could get a shot against the US.

5. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I don't understand why the Rockets draft players like Badiane and Spanoulis, and don't give them a shot to make the team......are they locked into European contracts?

6. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I don't understand why we sign players and then they rot on the bench or we give them away to other teams. I think Snyder will be another in a long line of guys in JVG's doghouse. Look what happened to Swift and DA.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think Badiane is just bad and Spanoulis turned out better than expected and played himself out of a minimum contract. Which means we have to use MLE money to get him. Well last year that money was tied up on Swift. And this year we almost lost it to James. But now we have money and it's just a matter of convincing him to go over. He has already expressed a strong desire to play in the NBA but this coming season the European championships are in Greece and he also would love to help his country win. So it might take a little coaxing to get him over. The problem is if we don't get him now we may never get him. Next year the free agent market looks very good and the MLE may get us a top tier player leaving no money for him.

8. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

From the limited video i seen, he is not very quick or explosive. Makes ok/good decisions though.

9. rednene

rednene Member

Could someone PLEASE post all the available videos of Vspan. There seems to be a lot of noise in here for someone who we have seen for 3 minutes.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

A. They often draft European players in the second round so they can continue to develop without having to pay them. The vast majority of second rounders don't make it in the NBA and this is a safe move.

B. It can be difficult to extricate guys from European contracts when they are rather large. As a result, I refer you back to A.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I do not think three is more video about this guy

but here is some other info

o yea, did anyone notice his tounge sticking out, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=10&id=1145

http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=JUO

http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=2&id=1431

http://www.beobasket.co.yu/eng/igrac.jsp?id=288

http://www.paobc.gr/en/player.asp?type=p&year_id=56&player_id=95

you can send him an email, haha

12. Hicklander

HAHA on his team his poistion like position on the court is called a playmaker... every one email him tell him to come play here

13. rserina

rserina Member

True, Swift tore it up in Memphis for four years and Derrick Anderson has always stayed healthy and he indeed contributed immensely to that championship team in Miami. Sometimes this stupid criticism gets so old.

14. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

Part A is pretty interesting from a Player's Union standpoint, and Im surprised that they have allowed teams to try and stow-away Europeans just because its cheaper rather than take a chance on an American college kid (though teams still take college kids at a good clip).

Also, Im not quite sure what people expect from our second round picks. It is not very likely that any team would start more than one second round pick they have made, simply because that is why they are second rounders...

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Actually you've got it completely backwards where the player's union is concerned. The player's union has absolutely no allegiance to college or international players. American kids aren't in the player's union until they sign some kind of contract to play in the NBA (even if it's summer league or camp invite etc). Until then the nba player's association doesn't really care about their well-being.

Not only that but it's actually in the player association's interest to have draft picks be european prospects that don't come over immediately. This provides less competition for jobs for current members of the PA.

This is the reason why the league was able to bargain for the age limit, because ultimately the player's association saw the benefit in preventing high school draft picks from taking roster spots, and didn't fight it.

16. Hicklander

JUST so every one knows they have every intention to sign V-Span if they do it or not is a different story

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/07/kevin_kolb_for.html

Tracy McGrady, Shane Battier and now Snyder can also play more than one position. GM Carroll Dawson hopes to sign Greek guard Vassilis Spanoulis. Bob Sura's return would be a bonus.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/07/post.html

He didn't seem to be excited about any of his backup options with one possible exception: Vassilis Spanoulis.

The Rockets probably will sign the Greek guard and hope he can play both positions. He's not a great shooter and is just 6-4. So much for the best laid plans.

17. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Notice that he like to stick out his tongue. Coming to NBA, I hope he don't do that 'cuz something will happen to his tongue. NBA players don't take kindly of tongue sticking. ;)

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Vasilis Spanolis is a good test for Morey. I bet he doesn't have the same benefits statistically with European ball. What is his approach in a case like that?

Here's an idea: Tell the Spurs that you are interested in trading the rights for Spanolis.... if they are interested then bring him over. If they disinterested, leave him be. They know European basketball post 2000 better than anyone.

19. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

yes yes, I would love to bring him here. He has more size than Banks, and is one of the best Europe players, I think he can adjust here easily. BUt it all really depends if he wants to come here, I bet he can avg atleast around 10 points and maybe around 3-5 assists per game. I think we'll get him beacuse CD is in love with him.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm sure everyone can remember the horrible tongue injury that Michael Jordan suffered.