1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin... NOW!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Nov 3, 2005.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sent you an e-mail.

EDIT: I was WAY off on Calvin Murphy, I thought for sure that I read about him being an ENTJ and was surprised about it, but what he really is is an ESFP. Other ESFPs in broadcasting include John Madden, Chris Collinsworth, Charles Barkley, Don Merridith, Lee Trevino, Isiah Thomas, and some others, not bad I guess.

My other points stay the same though, Clyde will have a very hard time and ENTJs and ENTPs make for excellent broadcasters.

#61 JumpMan, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I haven't seen Clyde in action yet but I see him in a ton of NBA league commercials and events and he is smooth as Chinese silk. Saw him in a press conference for the new NBA/SouthWest Air venture and if he ran for president I would vote for him. He said something like "This is an unprecendented joint venture that has the potential to revolutionize the marketing synergies between two of the biggest brand names in America."

Guess he would make a better Secretary of State than NBA color analyst.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I can never get tired of backing in backing in backing in

When the word got out about Calvin's breeding practices, he was a gonner. there is a reason you didn't know that info before. even if he was innocent (and I do believe he is) the fact that he has so many kids that he obviously couldn't be a father to hurt his stock.

Marv Albert's situation is a little different. When you start talking about family issues people care a little more. In the end, no one cares about some woman sleeping with Marv Albert. But people are always gonna have in the back of their minds Calvin's kids whom he paid no attention to.

#63 pgabriel, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  4. Curly

Curly Member

I have to chime in and say that I didn't mind Clydes comments and it was actually nice to not have to weed my way through all of Bill and Calvin's non basketball chit chat. Last year terrible. Listening to Van was worse then slamming my head with the car door for 3 hours. When I'm watching the game, I don't need to know who brought you brownies, or what color of the neon rainbow your suit is, I want to hear about the game...and to be honest, with me less is more, so Clyde works for me. I don't need announcers that talk just to hear themselves talk. Which is strange, because I love listening to Gene call a game. I wish I could pick up the radio feed here in Round Rock as I would switch it over. Nobody calls a game like Gene. Just my .02 worth...you can have change if you need it.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

That's what made Calvin, Calvin. lol

Everyone that was pissed about calvin's antics or whatever is sippin on hatorade plain and simple.

I tuned it just for Calvin's antics and they were damn funny as well.

Bring back calvin and a cooler of hatorade for all these cats here.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

That may be true. It's widely known that Calvin is Worrell's guy. Still, looking back, he did a great job compared to the door knobs we've had lately.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Also, the thing we have to remember is, until the last couple of years, the Rockets really and truly SUCKED, and Calvin was one of the only things that allowed us to keep our sanity.

Now the organization thinks that because we have TMac and Yao and Swift and everybody, and that we should be a very good team, that they don't need to let us keep our Calvin.

They are wrong, and hopefully someday that will realize it. We may have a pretty strong devotion to 'family values' in Houston, but we ALSO have just as strong an empathy for 'an innocent man wrongly accused'.

Plus, we're not stupid. We know what kind of culture the NBA was in 20+ years ago, and Calvin is in no way, shape, or form, atypical of the players of the day.

Just ask Wilt's voluminous offspring.

LES!!! BRING BACK CALVIN NOW!!!

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Bring back Calvin until Deke retires, then sign Mutombo to do road and home games. :cool:

9. Curly

Curly Member

10. zong

zong Member

Van is the worst one if you can get the votes from outside Houston.