1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin... NOW!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Nov 3, 2005.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Calvin Murphy is not walking through that door.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Indication of how bad Clyde is? :cool:

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I love Clyde as a hometown hero, but I would admit he is no Calvin as an announcer. But don't fret, he probably won't be here after this season, as it will be to much work for him, just like the Cougar gig. He's got too much money in the bank to hold a regular job. Didn't he even show up late last night?

4. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

You're right on the money. It's all about the image of the Rockets and that's why Murph is gone. It sucks because Murph and Bill had a special chemistry that went beyond the entertainment of just watching the games. Still wish they'd bring Murph back or the old country boy from Missippi.

5. rocket3forlife2

calvin was great...I kinda like van also

6. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I really hate the fact that I'm even admitting this

but BRING BACK VAN for ****s sake lol

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

One thing's for sure. He can only get better.

Because he is the absolute worst. Bring back Cindy Cooper. I'd rather listen to Dick Cheney.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Have our standards lowered to the point that we miss Calvin "That's another $50 for the Cavin Murphy Youth Basketball Program" Murphy?! He was horrible. The only thing that self-aggrandizing homunculus brought to the broadcasts was some fly threads and his Eddie Munster widow's peak. That was cool. His act was not. Don't get me wrong- Clyde Drexler is the most boring announcer I've ever heard. He makes Mike Newlin seem like he deserved a Peabody Award. I just think it would be cool to have a color commentator who could a) add insight into the game *and* b) be a professional broadcaster. Does the color guy have to be a former Rocket, or Comet? If they aren't going to do either, I say we let drunken fans have a turn.

9. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

If they can bring Marv Albert back, they can definately bring back Calvin..

Calvin and Bill were great.. now we're not even mediocre.

10. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Bill: "He jumps pretty quick."

Clyde: "He is a quick jumper. He jumps up very quickly."

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

They said I am an "INFP".

Hmmmm.......

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

You've got to be kidding. Clyde sits there and agrees repeatedly with Bill. Bill is trying to help him by inciting responses from him. Just count how many times during the game he says 'yes, bill I did that on occasion on the court'. It's ridiculous.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Just once I'd like to hear Clyde say something exciting.

Like... He gon' found him a yummy bear!

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Bingo.

So many get all upset because of the situation, without realizing there is a good posibility that Calvin was put in "time out" by the Rockets for all of his morality issues.

I think there is a good chance he will be back in a few years, after "serving his time", just like Albert.

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this is my impression of Drexler after Worrel's comments:

Bill Worrell: "The King's are gonna have a rough beginning to November if they go down 0-2 tonight. They travel to Denver, Seattle, then at home for the Lakers."

Clyde Drexler: "Yes, Bill. It's gonna trouble. They have to go to Denver, then go to Seattle, which is a tough team, and have to face the Lakers. Hahahaha."

Bill Worrell: "Wow!!! What an incredible move by the rookie."

Clyde: "Yes, Bill. That was absolutely incredible. hahahha."

Bill: "You know, this Brad Miller has a great eye and can pass the ball. Did you see how he easily passed it through that seam? He's probably the best passing big man in the league."

Clyde: "Yes, Bill. No doubt. His court vision is incredible. He's able to get it through the seams easily. Hhahahahah."

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We will never get Calvin Murphy back. It's a cryin' shame but that's a fact. So, let's lobby for moving Gene Peterson from radio to television. That would match a laid-back Bill Worrell with Mr. Rocket Excitement. Afterall, Peterson is as much of a Rocket institution as Calvin himself.

17. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

If they really won't bring Calvin back, let's start the petition right now to get Barry when he retires.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Rasselas post made it's way to the paper today.

uDrexler debuts
    Clyde Drexler made his regular-season debut Wednesday night as Bill Worrell's broadcast partner for Rockets home games on FSN Houston. Drexler is, of course, a work in progress, which didn't stop posters on a Rockets fan site from pining for the day that Jon Barry retires so he can take over the analyst's chair.

Technique and style are among Drexler's challenges. He must learn to crank up the volume, and he probably should speak in shorter sentences so the ebb and flow of normal conversation doesn't get drowned out by crowd chatter. He's probably too well-spoken for his own good.

The primary challenge is being critical of players and coaches when warranted. He'll likely take his cues from Worrell until he becomes more comfortable with the medium and more comfortable with the idea of being a critic.

That will keep Barry on the roster for at least a few more weeks.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3438020

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Sums it up perfectly. Hell, Clyde couldn't even make it to the pregame show on time. Priorities not in line much?

20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I don't like Clyde as color commentator either.

I am going to start turning 610 on to listen Gene. I can never get tired of "2 and foul!", "yeaahhhhhhh!", "How Sweet it is!"