1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin... NOW!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Nov 3, 2005.

1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Actually Clyde color commentating the home games is a great marketing ploy to sell tickets at TC. Just the thought if his monotone voice repeating Bill Worrell over and over again gives me the urge to buy season tickets in order to avoid watching home games on FSN. :D

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Braintype wise Clyde won't ever be nearly as good as Calvin, Clyde's braintype is the same as quiet soft spoken guys like Juwon Howard, Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant. It's not in his nature to talk so much or talk loud, when he does talk he would rather think of what he's going to say before he says it, the only ISFP that I know of that is good at this is Kenny Smith. However, Kenny always has a little pause before he starts talking, and that's fine during a studio show, but in live action he wouldn't sound nearly as good.

On the other hand Calvin Murphy is the same braintype as most of the great announcers in sports, I don't remember them exactly but I'm pretty sure Chris Berman, Bob Costas, Greg Gumble, Ernie Johnson, Joe Buck, Al Michaels, and other like them are all ENTJs like Calvin. Bill Worrell might be an ENTJ too, Van Chanceller might be an ENTJ or ENTP with a heavy accent that nobody liked for some reason, but he was hardly ever silent like Clyde can be. So bring back Calvin! Or Van!

Remember when JVG was an announcer? He was pretty good, he's also an ENTJ.

3. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

We need Jon Barry badly. he is funny and a very inteligent BB player.

4. swu

swu Contributing Member

This sounds very interesting. Do you still have the website about braintypes?

5. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I'd take Cynthia Cooper for the job, at least she has some personality

6. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

I like Clyde and I like his basketball knowledge. If it takes a color commentator with a sugar rush to get you excited about this season, well... buy a boatload of chocolate and ice cream and stuff your face before the game... then and MAYBE then you'll get excited about the game itself, rather than the color commentator .... Geez.. 1-0 and you're already whining.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member

braintypes.com, but if you're really interested in it you should order the book sold there, that's what will either convince you that there is something to braintypes or that it's a bunch of BS. Obvisously I think there's something to it...

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clyde is terrible.
    I'd rather hear commentary from Hakeem or Carl Herrera.

You know what would be a good idea, is to get Rudy as the commentator.

else, we need Calvin back.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Damn, Jon Barry has the best game of his career last night and people are calling for him to retire! :confused: :D

10. swu

swu Contributing Member

Thanks!!

11. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Yep. He should pull a Costanza. Leave 'em wanting more.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN

I see a lot of people saying "Clyde is getting better." or "Clyde will improve."

How? He's going to grow a personality? He's just bland as hell. I mean, perhaps he can get better at commenting on what's going on in the game, instead of just repeating what Worrell says, but how is he going to actually become interesting? Because if you ask me, that's the problem. He is BORING. Oh, also he speaks in a really low voice that is almost mumbling. Maybe he can correct that, but the next question is this. Why should he get the chance when there is a guy infinitely more qualified who can come in and do a bang up job tomorrow?

BRING BACK CALVIN!

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Clyde has improved since the first time I heard him. Since I don't expect the return of Murphy, hopefully Clyde will continue to get better.

I think Bullard sucks bigtime.

14. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

and she got original ideas.

but still Calvin is the best.

15. twoface723

twoface723 Member

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy is a better analyst than Clyde:
    [​IMG]

17. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I agree that Drex is very poor. The pregame was the worst. Bill would ask him a question and he would just sit there trying to find something to say. At one point, Bill answered his own question and went on. Great players do not always make great announcers.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"Anyone with some inside knowledge know why the Rockets would do something so moronic as to not allow Calvin back?"

Something about going to court for banging your own kids makes people a little suspicious. Even if he didn't do it, that publicity is going to be BAD no matter how you spin it.

He had about a jillion kids with half a jillion different women. Think Sean Kemp.

He was accused of not supporting those jillion kids.

Les clearly never liked him from the start. He tried to fire him once before if I am not mistaken.

There are some major character concerns with Murph. I'm pretty sure you don't want that guy as the face of your organization based on all the horrible stuff that came out about him last year.

Didn't he also come under investigation by the city of Houston for some sort of fraud allegation while he worked there as well? Faking the hours on his time sheets or something like that?

The guy has a major cloud hanging over him right now. He'll never broadcast again in my opinion. It's a shame because he seems like a nice guy, but you never really know a person who you only hear and watch on TV I guess.

He might be the good guy everyone thinks he is, but when those sorts of things start to pile up on you it's hard to catch a break.

19. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I am willing to give Clyde more than a few games before I declare him as terrible. The thing that made Calvin and Bill great was the fact they were a team in every sense of the word. Clyde hasn't gotten that relationship with Bill yet and plus I am sure he is totally nervous and scared to say anything stupid, so he is saying as little as possible. I think that he will improve, develop an on-air personality as the season goes on.

Give the guy a freaking chance.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Someone who has been real good is Frank Wychek on radio for the Titans. Listen to him someday. I think he could make it to prime time. He's practically calling the Titan plays before they run 'em. Good analysis too. Course he knows the offense, but he's got got a good voice and lots of energy . Plus he looks good on tv. I think he'll have a shot at going big time.