1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Bring Back Calvin... NOW!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRaven, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

41 games with Drexler color commentary is barbaric. Bullard is OK for the road, but he's almost as white as Worrell.
    The only thing worse would be Coop.. Help us, God!

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Clyde has been getting better each game. He'll probably be decent by the end of the season.

But oh man, it takes a LOT to excite Clyde Drexler. Not only has he pretty much seen it all at this point, he's just a real mellow dude, has been since college. He's pretty much to polar opposite of Calvin Murphy.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah Clyde as a commentator is in the ranks of as Moochie in NBA. :eek:
    Give the innocent man job back!

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Clyde is getting better, but Calvin and Bill was the best combo in the league, hands down. Clyde have some pretty big shoes to fill.

5. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Clyde will never be able to replace Calvin or even come close.

a bull**** deal all around for calvin

6. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Calvin is not coming back. Get over it pal :cool: Besides, I don't know what's all these hate on Drexler. He is pretty good in my book. Not a flashy talker, but provides just as much inside about the game as anybody. You can tell he is excited about the team and is really into the game. He is as good as there is for a local team color commentator.

7. yobod

yobod Member

Clyde is by far the worst color commentator Ive ever heard. The only things he talks about is blatantly obvious and never gets excited about anything. Even his "Ooo's and Ahh's" sound dull, which then make me weep in the corner in the fetal position hoping Calvin will come back one day.

8. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I'm actually looking forward to John Barry retiring. He'll be a heck of a commentator, no?

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

BOORRRING...sorry Clyde..loved ya as a player but..man, it was hard to hear him. He does need some enthusiasm. Bill on the other hand was cracking us up with his comments. Living in DFW, I haven't had the pleasure of hearing a good broadcast team in about 8yrs. I saw the Charles Barkley quote post earlier..now I'm thinking there should be a Bill & Calvin quote list somewhere.

"Dikembe just scared Rahim to death" Bill Worrell last night..

"I'd hate to be behind him in the buffet line" Bill Worrell on an overweight Maverick back in about '95.

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Amen.

12. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Anyone with some inside knowledge know why the Rockets would do something so moronic as to not allow Calvin back?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Lance on 610 said it best: Clyde is Mr. Obvious when commenting on the game. Please don't tell us the shooting guard's job is to shoot...:eek:..., I could have sworn he said that last night. :rolleyes:

I think he will get better, but that guy has about as much color in his commentating as a wall that was painted gray. The guy would make a better golf commentator. This should be an easy job for him though, I don't think he'll quit on it. :eek:

As for an inside scoop as to why Calvin wasn't brought back, me thinks he was involved in this certain court case....

14. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

No one needs Calvin. We need Barry to retire now and sit in that booth!

15. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

My first time to hear Clyde's commentary. Not good, but not as bad as I was expecting. It didn't detract from the enjoyment of watching the game, but it didn't enhance it either.

If I stilled lived in Houston, I'd probably be listening to the radio while watching the games.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Agreed - Clyde is horrible. Not really a surprise since the media considered him a bland interviewee in his playing days.

Bill: Wow! How about that Jon Barry tonight?!?!
    Clyde: Yeah, he's having a good game.

Bill: What a move by Yao!
    Clyde: That was a nice bucket.

For the first time ever, Bil Worrell is the Kevin Harlan of the broadcast pair.

Evan

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Clyde is pretty bad...We need someone else, but Clyde will be there all year...

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Please bring Calvin and/or Van back now. Each of them brought insight to the telecast, really added something. I enjoyed how each of them could correctly call an inbound play or strategy. Clyde is... a male version of Cynthia Cooper. Make him an ambassodor for the team or something, for goodness' sake. We all love him, but sheesh!

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

my favorite was something like this.

Worell: "What an electrifying play by STROMILE SWIFT!"

Clyde: "That's a high percentage shot." WTF?!!! :eek: :eek:

he is quite boring indeed.

Jeff Hagedorn would have been better than Clyde.

#19 Uprising, Nov 3, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

You know, I've been on this site for 4+ years now and whenever there was a Calvin Murphy thread when I first became a member and for around 2 years after that, people were calling him annoying and things like that.

It's amazing how listening to some dull analysts can change one's mind, Calvin is an example of "you don't realize what you had until it was gone

Drexler is pretty dull, I agree. I will give him more than one game though.