1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin Murphy!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nabil474, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Ismail

Ismail Member

Bill + Calvin + Bull is the ideal situation. It allows Bullard to focus more on the Xs and Os (even though Calvin in his prime was really good at breaking that down), and Calvin can clown around making things funny. He also has an endless amount of stories and insights about the game.

I would religiously watch the days of ISO ball, Calvin was a huge part of that.

2. Indaface

Indaface Member

I was hearing Tad Brown's interview this morning and he was the one who had the idea of bringing Calvin into the booth for one game.

He also made a point to say how great he is as a halftime/postgame analyst as well so it's definitely going to be a one time thing.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I definitely get that, but I think he was just so pumped up last night because of everything going on that he was over the top. If he went back to doing it full time (or I guess just doing home games would be half time, technically) I think he would settle down a bit.

Believe it or not, he was actually a pretty good analyst back in the day. Sure, it was more style over substance...but the substance was definitely there. He wasn't afraid to call out the home team if they weren't playing well, either. By name, a lot of the time.

"See, that's unacceptable!" was a phrase he used all the time.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I think a permanent reinstatement of the the ol' Calvin & Bill duo, as a known entertainment product that works, would really help drive a return of Houston sport fans back to the Rockets. We need this city to catch Rockets fever, especially after the CSN-cable dark days really hurt our fandom numbers. It makes me so sick & envious that people everywhere like to wear Texans attire as casual as a throw-on "GAP" t-shirt, like a default, but people seem to forget there is a local sports organization 1000 times more productive with winning and give the fans a real contending product. There was some Bubba 4 rows behind McHale last night with a Texans golf shirt and Texans hat...AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP REUNION ROCKETS GAME! What kind of **** is that? You can afford a $400 seat, but not a $10 Rockets shirt from Academy? Bring Calvin back, win back the hearts of those that actually can be saved.

Listening to Calvin last night, it was like I was playing NBA jam, or at a blacktop event or at the Fonde Center. The Bill & Calvin Duo chemistry cannot be duplicated, replaced, or improved on. Those guys know what's in the other's head. It is effortless and so fun to listen to.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Way better than Clyde and Bull

6. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

it's sad...you have new people here that has only listened to Bill, Bull and Clyde for so long, they don't even know what good broadcasting is. Bill and Murphy are gold......they entertain you through the good and bad of a season. You get complete honesty from Murph; straight from the heart and it makes Bill better. Bill doesn't have to carry the broadcast like he does half the time. I like Bull, i don't think he is bad, but he is boring and corny. I would never want him to lose his job, but Calvin never should have lost his. I think it's universal that Clyde is horrible lol. I think after Tad Brown watches the broadcast today they will probably consider a change for next season. I hope they can find a way to have murphy back with bill where they belong. *sigh* Saturday night we go back to lame jokes and Clyde stating the obvious like it's analysis gold.

1 person likes this.
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Bill and Calvin was just awesome, wouldn't mind if they brought back the dynamic duo but have a feeling it won't happen.

8. stab

stab Member

Let's 'milk the situation' as Calvin would always say!!

Murphy's Law!!!!

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Keep going back to it until they find a way to stop it.

Man that was great last night. Clyde and Bull are true Rockets legends and I know we all love them for that -- but compared to Calvin they have no business in the booth. I've been thinking that Bill should hang them up recently, but he was gold next to Calvin last night -- just like they always were together.

10. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I told you guys this would happen!

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yes please bring Calvin back! He and Bill have such good chemistry. Clyde can go do something else and Bull can still be the third man or just handle the away games.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd rather see Bullard doing halftime and stuff. Calvin should be calling the game with bill.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I liked Calvin more than I remembered last night. I still don't know if I could handle him every game to be honest.

I wouldn't mind him replacing Drexler, but I don't see it happening.

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

FIRE two former Rocket players - :eek::confused:

Calvin is on the post game show - why no switch

1 star for being an a$$ hole

15. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Calvin is a consummate professional.

16. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

They are not going to do it, Leslie is very passionate about keeping certain things in the past and he fired Calvin twice already. I don't think he likes how outspoken and honest Calvin is either.

Bill Worrell did say before Calvin was announced to be back with the Rockets organisation, that they would gradually bring him in and he would end up back in the booth. Or am I wrong about that one? It was a member on here who talked to Bill prior to our 1st season with CSN and he said it when there were rumours about Calvin's return.

17. Kash

Kash Member

Worrell: Wow, James sure does have it going tonight.
    Drexler: Bill, he sure does. It's like clubbing baby seals.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy was just outstanding last night. Bill and Calvin were a perfect match for the occasion and i would love to see them together again on a permanent basis.

By the way, did anyone else notice in the flashback picture of Bill and Calvin that Calvin looks the same now as he did then but Bill looks 20 years older?

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Drexler is garbage, absolute putrid as a commentator

Not even funny

Bull while boring offers some basketball insight. Clyde knows nothing.

Fire Clyde along with McHale

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Calvin was great. Clyde is OK but once you get to go back and listen to how good Calvin is.... it's going to be hard going back to Clyde.