1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Calvin Murphy!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nabil474, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Hopefully Les can no longer ignore the fans' demands on this.

Clyde can do halftimes, or occasional games, whatever. But Calvin MUST come back, for good! Bull is fine too, no problem with Bull working with Bill and Calvin.

It is as I have had in my sig for years - and now there is no stopping this juggernaut!

Les, you brought Calvin back, now KEEP HIM BACK!

2. bmd

bmd Member

Calvin is better in small doses in my opinion. Listening to him over the course of a whole game gets exhausting. He's always going a hundred miles per hour and there is no other speed.

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Should there be any other speed. It goes with the game. It should be up and down, back and forth. Add that to the fact that when we have our usually offensive lulls Murph can fill in that time.

I would take that over Clyde's dry one-liner laugh-at-my-own-jokes comments ("clubbing baby seals").

Calvin and Bill have a chemistry that Clyde doesn't have with anyone, and Bull only has with Bill when it comes to food.

4. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Sign me up and tweet to Morey to get les attention

5. bmd

bmd Member

Yes there should be other speeds. You gotta know when to bring the energy and when to tone it down a bit. Otherwise it just seems like a guy is yelling the entire time while on amphetamines.

6. thiefery

thiefery Member

I'm watching the game right now..yes, Calvin is awesome. Wish he could just tell us who Mad Max was on the phone with on the air..

He brings so much more energy to the game. Since I live on the east coast, this is much needed for those late PST tip offs...plus he reminds me of my drunk uncle.

7. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I think I'm in the minority but I like Matt and Clyde. Matt is actually quite good giving insights here in there. Clyde on the other hand seems to only cheer for the team. I don't understand all the hate that he's getting. He's definitely a homer but I really don't care. I don't want a debby downer. And we have Bill and Matt to balance it out.

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Last night was the first time Bill actually did Play-by-play analysis in a while. Calvin truly makes Bill better. Put Bull and Clyde at the halftime show. Or just Clyde at the halftime show. Bullard can be dumb sometimes but he's decent most of the time.

9. Textroets

Textroets Member

I agree with bringing Calvin back but am I the only person who thinks Bull is insightful & pretty funny?

10. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Calvin didn't miss a beat! I understand that he loves his role with Root, but man, that was solid gold last night. I'm going to watch this game over and over again.

They love him on Root because he doesn't sugar coat on positives vs negatives. Clyde doesn't naturally do that as well.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

thread title is harsh, no one needs to get fired. they're all part of the broadcast team, we just have to rearrange positions a little bit.

12. bmd

bmd Member

No, I like Bull too. I like his corny jokes.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You could tell how energized Bill was to have Calvin back at his side again. He could barely contain his giddyness during the pregame. And I definitely got the feeling it was 100% genuine.

Bull is a good X's and O's guy, so no need to fire him.

I like the idea of having Calvin do home games and Bull do road games.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

last night was reunion night and james went for 50 in a somewhat tight game. of course he had super high energy all night!!!

you're not giving murph enough credit, i've watched him for years and he can be happy, goofy, high energy but i've also seen him serious, informative, tactful, and low key. i've seen him do it all.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Leave Kevin Harlan out of this.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With you. Bull is fine. Clyde is a space filler; liked it better when he was a lane filler...

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

He does tend to go 100mph sometimes but I think last night he was probably super excited to be back broadcasting next to Bill again. But as others pointed out, I wouldn't mind Calvin doing home games and Bull doing away games. Come playoff time I wouldn't mind seeing all 3 of them at once.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Calvin is only good for a few minutes each quarter before he starts to irritate.

He's like this hyper kid at the playground who other kids want to play with at first, but then after 5 minutes or so, they just can't keep up with him.

Not saying I want Bull and Clyde over him, but I don't exactly want 100% Murph if it meant the subdued nature of Bull and Clyde.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hear Worrell on ESPN/radio clips about 3 times every 2 months at most. Used to be, with Calvin on the broadcast, we'd get airtime twice a week on national highlights. People want to see and hear Calvin.