1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Jul 9, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Can't shoot threes, can't shoot mid-range, can't make layups, can't dribble, gambles way too much on defense, doesn't do anything else on the court. The only thing he excels at is running around like a headless chicken

2. skoo9382

skoo9382 Member

I believe Brewer will be a better player under MDA's system, but the man can't shoot a 3 to save his life. When i watch him play, he seems so out of control at times and goes off script way too much. Hopefully the shot-doctor can fix his broken j.

3. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

My problem is not with Brewer.

It's with the coach that plays the guy big minutes when he clearly doesn't deserve minutes at all.

I know there's more to basketball than just shooting threes (which he sucks at) but also passing, dribbling , oh an making easy freakin lay ups are all part of it as well.

Uhh Brewer is subpar at all the above.

So instead of telling fans to get off of Brewers ass .....
    How about Brewer get up off of his own ass and go to the gym and work on his game.

As of right now he is hot garbage.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It is not true that Corey Brewer is bad at "layups" or "everything." Historically he has been a high percentage finisher. The year before last he was killing teams with his finishing skills for the Rockets.

He is NOT a good 3 point shooter. He's awful at it in fact. However, his 2% this year was lower than it has been since 2010. Significantly lower in fact. 40 points lower than his first year with the Rockets and 50 points lower than his year with Minnesota before that. I'd call this past year a fluke in that way.

Still, there's just no reason to let him shoot 200+ 3 pointers and if your offense requires him to or he won't be able to resist in spite of the offense, he has to go.

5. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

One of the mysteries of the 2015-16 season. How the heck did Brewer get to play 20 minutes a game.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"We were coached by JB Bickerstaff"

That is the answer for every Brewer-related question.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Q&A: Houston Rocket Corey Brewer returns to Portland

PORTLAND — A McDonald's High School All-American, two-time NCAA Champion at the University of Florida, and 2011 NBA Champion with the Dallas Mavericks.That is Corey Brewer's resume as an NBA veteran playing with the Houston Rockets.

NBA status and past accomplishments aside, Brewer often returns to the place where it all started – Portland High School. On July 16, he was back at his old stomping grounds to hold his eighth annual Corey Brewer Portland, TN Basketball Camp.

The former Panther took time between the camp's morning and afternoon session to talk about being back home, NBA free agency, and where he fits in with the Houston Rockets.

What is the feeling like coming home?

I just love coming home. When I come to Portland and see everybody, it's fun. It's fun to come and do this camp, but, anytime I come home. it's always good.

Is there a difference between this camp and the one you host in Gainesville, Fla.?

It’s a big difference. The one in Gainesville, I love doing that camp, it’s been eight years now, we raise money for diabetes, it’s a good camp. But there is nothing like coming home and doing this camp. This is fun, just seeing the kids grow up and seeing some kids that have been coming since they were five or six years old and now they’re in the fifth grade, it’s cool to see. This is home.

What do you emphasize at this camp?

It’s more about the fundamentals and I tell them to have fun. If you’re having fun playing basketball, that’s what it’s all about. You can’t always be serious.

The camp has grown over the years. This year, there were more than 250 campers, what does that mean to you?

It means a lot. It’s always good to see a bunch of faces, then I see faces of kids I went to school with, and now their kids are now seven, eight years old (attending my camp). Man, I’m getting old! But it’s good just to see the faces and see the kids.

Did you go to any camps run by NBA players when you were a kid?

I never met an NBA player until I got to my senior year in high school. I used to come to the Portland High School camp, so those were my days attending the PHS Camps. It’s cool now to come back and do my own camp.

Next year will be your 10th season in the NBA. Can you believe it’s about to be your 10th season in the NBA already?

It seems like I was in high school yesterday. I’m just blessed to be in the NBA for 10 years and hopefully I can make it a few more years. It’s been a good journey. Coming from Portland, a small town…now I’m in Houston. I’ve been in quite a few places, but it’s been a great journey.

On a scale of 1-to-10 how shocking was the free agency period with all of those huge contracts?

It was 10 shocking! It was shocking, some guys got contracts that you wouldn’t expect, but I’m happy for those guys. That’s what it’s all about, business is good so the money is good.

Your teammates at the University of Florida, Al Horford, and Joakim Noah were in the news a lot during free agency. They both left their respective teams, Atlanta and Chicago after spending their whole career there. How much contact did you have with them during that time?

I actually met with Al (Horford) during his free agency period because we were trying to get him (to come to Houston). I talked to Jo through the whole thing, I knew he was going to New York before the whole thing happened just because he loves home, he’s from New York so he couldn’t wait to go back home and it worked out perfectly because Derrick Rose got traded there and that’s one of his good friends.

Was it weird watching your former college coach Billy Donovan coach in the NBA this season?

Yeah that was weird seeing coach on the NBA sideline, not being the Gator coach. I was happy for him, they had a good year. They should have actually won (against Golden State) and gotten to the Finals, but it’s tough now that they lost Kevin Durant.

How would you describe last season for you personally and the team?

It was a bad year. I had a bad year this last season. There was a lot going on, we had a lot of changes; coach (Kevin McHale) got fired 11 games into the season, a different system (under Bernie Bickerstaff Jr.), so it was a crazy year. It was not too good, but, for me, there is another season to get better, so this next season I got to get a lot better.

The Rockets picked up quality 3-point shooters in free agency with the acquisitions of Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson. How do you think this group will fit into the Mike D’Antoni offense? Will we see an improved Houston team this year?

It’s going to be good. We’re going to play a lot faster, a lot of threes and layups. That’s the system basically. So I think we are going to be pretty good, especially with Ryan (Anderson) coming in with the way he spreads the floor, and Eric (Gordon) if he’s healthy he’s one of the best players in the league. I think they’re really going to help us.[/rquoter]

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Quick trade him to Portland.

DD

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So I definitely want out of the brew contract, but there is no way he doesn't play better this season. You can't fake your way through 10 years in the NBA. I expect to see great transition basketball finishing around the rim and great perimeter D!

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I would most certainly not count on the great perimeter defense part, but yeah...it's almost physically impossible for Brewer to be worse than last season. I think he'll bounce back in a decent way.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Wow, this site has deteriorated into cussing each other out and ripping on each other. Where is the intelligent and knowledgeable views on basketball. DD is slipping into the foolishness

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Every time I see Brew running around the court, I worry he'll break a bone. Breh is so skinny.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Brewer will be much much better this time around..

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nowhere to go but up from last season. He's actually a wildcard. If he's even looks like a decent role player, his contract and value isn't bad anymore.

15. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Clutch player? Dude shut the **** up

Brewer ****ed up the fast break more than he helped and missed more layups than he made

Him and jbb sucked each other off before every game too

The fact that you don't realize brewer & jbb single handily costed us this season makes you a dumb ****

I have literally never hated a person as much as I hate brewer and jbb, **** you

16. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

When you say dumb **** on the internet be ready for the consequences

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

take a break.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I don't care if we get anything for him he just needs to be cut.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brew had a bad season, it happens. JBB did not use him properly, heck John Blair mismanaged the entire season never mind the rotations. It's interesting that Brewer said that the system was different from McHale to JBB.

Never heard that one.

In any event, I expect Brewer to have a bounce back season and many of his detractors to post his Planters Peanuts or Monopoly Man gif again. Brew plays with passion and joy, but most importantly at a breakneck pace. MDA is all about scoring FAST. That's Brewer to a "T". He will do much better next season.

20. Lightsnowaction

I'm not sure how much better Brew can be if the only things he does well are play the passing lanes and finish in the paint and transition, but has lost some athleticism as early as last year.