1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

His all-out-effort is nice, but I'd like to see improvement in his individual and team game.
    You see players working on their bodies over the summer but few actually try to improve their skill. Some may not know what to improve on. Brewer does a lot of things well, but has areas that leave much to be desired.

2. dwhite

dwhite Member

It's nice to see that not everybody hates him. He has had one great year and one bad year. There is no reason to not pull for the guy to regain his shot and once again be a valuable force off the bench. Management is aware of his drop in performance last year, so his play this year will determine whether or not he remains on the team.

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He doesn't do much well at all. Regain his shot? He never has a shot to begin with my friend, look into the numbers. This scrub was blowing open layups on the break.

Trade him for nothing for all I care he needs to go.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Mental Image Police: arrest this man!

5. vick

vick Member

If Anderson shoots Threes and misses layups like Brewer did I can assure you that all of Houston will be calling for his tar and feathers party.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I would hate him a lot less if he would make his damn layups.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Brewer just couldn't get it together and the coaches still kept playing him. Nothing was done to correct his ways of going 1-on-4 and camping out on the 3pt line is not his game. With us losing Dwight and no real rebounder to speak of, I don't think Brewer will do much better. He could do worse actually and fall out of the rotation if our 3 wing rotation and Beasley works out. There is hope of course, because MDA's system is better suited for Brew's game. I hope he bounces back, because he was one of my favorites of that 14-15 team and seems like a genuinely good dude.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That's the thing.
    JB yanks his *** instant he does something detrimental to the team
    he would have learned and not been so bad
    or been on the bench . . . either way the hatred people have for him would be so much lessened

Rocket River

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree. He probable does really well under MDAs system.

10. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I'm with you man. The Brewer bashing on the board has been ridiculous. I agree he was HORRIBLE last year. I mean really bad and I'm not making excuses for that. But in his basketball he's been a decent role player in college and the nba up until last season. Don't judge him solely on last season. He will bounce back to what he was. Nothing special but a decent role player. But everybody on the board still acts like if rockets just cut him the team would be better for it...that's ridiculous especially with the contracts being given out these days.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

the year before last, Brew did a couple of really important things for us very well: defense, and finishing at the rim in transition. His speed was a weapon on both sides of the ball.

But last year, he couldn't finish and is defense was poor. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but when a player with a limited skill-set stops being good at the few things he is actually good at, it's hard to roster him.

I don't think you can give away anything more valuable than a 2nd rounder to get him off your cap. But I don't think any team takes him without getting a 1st in return. Even more frustrating is that he's not a good fit for what Pringles is trying to go as far as shooting, though if he could remember how to finish, his speed could help push the pace. And if he could stop gambling and just stick with his man on defense, that would certainly be useful as well. We may just have to make the best of it unfortunately.

I'm really hoping some trades are coming because I think the roster still needs s lot of work.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agree with Will and TopFive. Brewer will bounce back.

13. pass_to_Hakeem

Corey Brewer = . I'd bring him off the bench once the game is out of hand , nothing more

14. Remlap

Remlap Member

I wouldn't be surprised if CB thrives in MDA's run-and-gun system.

I'm not saying he's going to shoot 40% from the arc.
    But he LOVES to run on the break. Now if he can only finish. . .

15. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

I can understand that some of you may be defending him because he's a nice guy with that never ending grin. But in this BUSINESS, if you are not producing, you need to be replaced.

At some point, every player will be out of the league due to his performance or health. Some exit gradually and some exit overnight. TJ is an overnighter. Brewer will be out in a few years if he doesn't turn it around. And that's ok because he made Millions and had a good career.

But please don't defend his performance. You ever read those stock disclaimers? Historical performance does not dictate future results.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we get back to running a lot then he will be useful.

He is really bad in the halfcourt being asked to shoot or create.

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I agree that it's silly to say that all of the players who fell off a cliff last season will continue that descent..because let's face it, lots of our decent guys stunk it up last year. Brewer was the worst and I posted several times about how awful he was. That being said, he has little trade value and maybe if he magically improves for a stretch of games we can trade him early in the season. Who knows. Management's hands are tied by the market at this point, I'm sure they've considered all angles

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Brewer plays basketball like a high school football player.

19. RoxxxPhan

RoxxxPhan Member

Brewer is that you?:cool:

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'll say I believe Brewer is a better player than he was last year. To that, I'll add that his game needs a dose of veteran to cover up that rookie mentality. Wild shots, terrible selection most of the time....like, with that wonky little kid shot....if you get the swing and it frees you up to where the defense doesn't even react to contest a shot, let it fly. But if they're anywhere near you, pass, drive/kick. I can't have another season of 1/5 from the arc every night.

That said, I do think a run gun system suits him well. He's still very adept at getting out on the break and maybe a few teammates will be running with him this year so he can pick up assists instead of those wild, corkscrewing layup clangs.

I know this is almost knee jerk territory but I think Dekker is going to spell Ariza and Brewer, maybe not drain them so hard mentally and physically to play good ball.