1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Rocketeer4Life

Corey Brewer's performance last season was so bad considering how much minutes he played.

2. Rocketeer4Life

The only person that needs to be blamed for Brewer's horrible play is JB Bickerstaff for continuously playing Brewer.

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

More like the coaching staff encouraging it. Brewer was outstanding his first season in Houston, everyone was awful last season

4. awc713

awc713 Member

is this CF's first and only BOF?

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hi Corey!

6. dwhite

dwhite Member

I am not an apologist....just a realist. Yes, he sucked more than any other player last year but that is not just on him. When a player is known as a driver and a career subpar 3 pt shooter, why would a coach (Bickerstaff) use him primarily as a 3 pt shooter. He went several months without making one, so coaches should have had him focus on his strength which is playing like the greyhound and outrunning the other players for layups and dunks. Bad system last year and how quickly forget that he basically single handedly took us to the conference finals. He proved he was the most clutch player on the team when the games really counted.

7. awc713

awc713 Member

also, OP, have you seen him shoot tho? Or dribble? Or play half court offense? Or play half court defense?

8. dwhite

dwhite Member

[QUOTE=awc713;10605039]also, OP, have you seen him shoot tho? Or dribble? Or play half court offense? Or play half court defense?[/QUOTE]

Once again, I agree tha he sucked last year. All that I know is that since he was so good the year before and we all know something was wrong with the whole team last season, why not give him the opportunity to show that he is still clutch and last year was an abnormality. He does have talent and may thrive in the MD fast paced system. Also, go look back at the thread last year on the day we re-signed Brewer. Everyone loved the signing and felt he was the integral piece to our bench success. His playoff performance earns him a another chance. He needed decent coaching to fix his flaws and Bickerstaff was definitely not that!

9. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

The man is getting paid 9m a year shooting worst than a high school kid. Are you seriously defending him?

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Is that you Dana? Shouldn't you be busy with UFC 200???

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Don't throw bottles at me, but I'm gonna defend Brewer. He had a bad year. A bad year does not necessarily make a bad player. In this case, the player has provided lots of evidence, prior to the bad year, that he can be a good player.

Give D'Antoni some time to find the right situations and roles for Brewer. My gut says Brewer is one of the guys who will benefit most from this coach.

OK, now I've defended both Brewer and D'Antoni in the same sentence, so you can throw those bottles.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Brewer deserves to be gone.

13. lionaire

lionaire Member

If we don't get rid of him send him down the D league for half the season. Matter fact, he should be in summer league right now with Beasley.

14. opticon

opticon Member

I think Corey biggest issue last year is that he was to comfortable with the coaching staff. Some times you can give some one to much leash.

If he is not traded I think MDA will be able to help him play within him self. Hopefully the shot DR. we just hired can help him fix his shot.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you really believed the bolded part, this thread would be non-existent.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Throw me in there with OP and Will. I won't defend Brewer's performance last year, because -- well, because it's impossible. He sucked. But Josh Smith, D-Mo, Ariza, Howard, TJ, Terry, and Bev's defense had off years compared to the previous one. TJ gets the trophy for sucking the most, and Corey was right behind him, but nothing went right last year.

If he's not traded, I expect Corey to bounce back to his usual level under D'Antoni's sytem, meaning he won't be great, but he'll earn his money.

Laugh all you want, but I'll be the one necrobumping this thread about a month or two into the season.
    <BR>

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree.
    This year will be so much better than these negative nellys thing

I am on record as saying the Rockets will win 50 games

Rocket River

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll make that same claim as well. At least 50.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Corey Brewer is anything more than a 10th man your team sucks.

DD

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Brewer's biggest problem last year was our offense was a total trainwreck with him on the floor. -6.1 points per 100 possessions, to be exact. That's grotesque.

That said, we were bad offensively with him on the floor...but we just hired an offensive-minded coach. If there's any type of coach or system that could boost a player's weaknesses in that area it's Coach Pringles. Let's see what happens if he does, indeed, crack the new rotation.

....and in the meantime, remember he's a class act and a very likable guy that helped us reach the WC Finals. If you literally hate this guy (like some posts seem to imply), you should probably check your meds.