1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Against a team like utah, there isn't a player he can guard. La is the same way. There is a reason why pop only played him situationally.

2. scalper

scalper Member

I think with a player like Wafer... you put him into the game... because he will bring energy... regardless of what his numbers are....

we all know sometimes this team needs it...

I to think he should play smarter... but I doubt will see that... and I suspect his numbers will go down... just because he will tighten up in the playoffs and if teams decide to key in on him... (like were seeing what some are teams doing with Scola right now)

depending on how well he plays in each playoff game it should dictate his minutes...

come playoffs....

pull Wafer out quick if his production or play warrants it during crunch time... and give Barry a few more minutes....

3. OlajuwonShake34

Von Wafer is clearly the better player at this point. Barry is the better shooter and has higher basketball IQ. I would say that's about it. Neither of them really play defense, I think Barry is capable but he doesn't.

Von Wafer brings a lot of energy off the bench and that's good. Von Wafer always attacks the rim as well, which is what I like. Barry tries to thread the needle way too much, it hurts the team sometimes too.

Bottom line is Wafer is the better player than Barry. Barry has more experience, but Wafer is still better.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Von, as I expected, struggled against the Jazz. The guy's ceiling isn't as high as everyone thinks it is. He's a situational role player at best. Adelman needs to keep a tight leash on him and yank him if he starts making bonehead mistakes. He doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Barry is a 37 year old backup playing his last years in the NBA. I don't get why people are comparing him to a 23 year old Von Wafer, they're roles on the team are different even if they are used in the 2 guard slot alot.