1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

He will probably never post again out of embarrassment. Wafer is the real deal.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Or he will just bring up the missed layup and air balled 3 pointer.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Honestly, I still don't feel Wafer is that great of a player. He is still inconsistent and often gets down on himself too much.

When he's on, he's an unbelievable player to have coming off the bench. When he is not on, he's scary to have in the game. With that said, if I HAD to choose between Barry and Wafer, I would go with Wafer in a heartbeat. The only thing Brent brings to this team is experience. Wafer brings talent and athleticism. I'll take those two over experience by itself any day of the week.

4. Art7

Art7 Member

Barry will be zero factor in the playoffs. You all will see.
    And we talkign about wafer getting killed in the playoffs. But what about brooks,scola,lowry? We all agree that they will play good and other teams will not shot them down? they only will come for wafer?

and yes i CAn tell utah that there is no homecourt adv.
    but I can also ask wade who won vs Dallas in 2006?
    Art7:wade how did u win in 2006 without homecourt adv.?
    Wade: Na art, homecourt adv. is overrated.

or I can also ask pistons who defeated Lakers in 2004
    Art7: WTF kobe how did u lose with a homecourt
    Kobe: mannn some BS huh

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wafer is shooting 44% overall and nearly 42% from 3pt range, and is averaging 10ppg.

DD

6. Soapdish

Soapdish Member

Wafer always seems to light it up in the 4th quarter, its good to have a closer like that. Ever since Wafer has gotten more playing time, we're not seeing nearly as many 4th quarter embarrassments like we've grown so accustomed to. (minus the Baby Bulls game :eek: )

Wafer is money.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He has definitely developed a little twinkle-toes floater from about 6-8 feet. I love what Wafer adds to the Rockets. I remember back in training camp when there was a 50-50 spread on Strawberry/Wafer supporters. We don't know how Strawberry would've done, but I think Lowry probably would've made him pretty redundant.

All of these Scola/Landry/Wafer support threads are awesome. Bring on the j*zz.

8. JLovePG

JLovePG Rookie

The most suitable is the best

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wafer has proven time and time again that he deserves more PT than Barry. Although, I can see Barry being more useful than Wafer in certain situations. Leave it to Rick. I wonder how much hair "Coach" has lost this year because of Von?

10. rhinology

rhinology Member

0 pts in 9 minutes is a problem? At least he had 1 assists.

Look at Barry's stat in this game: 11/17 @ Okc, 18 minutes, 0 pts, 0 assists.

11. right1

right1 Member

Rockets record when Mcgrady was out the first time?
    Rockets record when Mcgrady is out this time?
    Rockets record since Von Wafer gets major pt?

A friend in Austin already agreed to get a "frohawk" if the Rockets make it out of the first round. :cool: I might get one, too.

12. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Wafer is our future. More playing time would improve his ability to read the defense and make a better decision on whether he should dribble-penetrateion, shoot a jumper or pass the rock. It's inevitable that young players would make silly mistakes and the best solution is to train them to learn from their mistakes during game plays.

I like Coach Adelman giving time for Wafer to grow. The important thing is to remember when to pull him out when he's out of control and affect the flow of the game.

Brent is a very experienced vet and he can sub Wafter at any time. He is 37 years of age and playing him too much would affect his performance come playoff time.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He had a good game against the Raptors. Not alot of bonehead mistakes that I remember. He's still a work in progress, and I still have my doubts about him.

A better test is tomorrow against Utah on the road who have alot of good wing players.

14. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

edit: dribble-penetrate. Sorry.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

A very good point, this will be an intersting test.

DD

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Exactly....

Last night he played team ball and within the system, as long as he does that night-in and night-out he will be perfect.

It's when he goes into his dream world of thinking he's Jordan, that's where the problem starts.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He does attack too often, but I think it is more a matter of him being in a contract year and thinking he needs to make his mark, and not having consistent minutes.

Because when he was starting, he was much more under control....

As the rotation gets settled and he KNOWS he is going to get his 20+ minutes every game, I expect him to get more comfortable creating for others...he can pass the ball fairly well, and had an EXCELLENT entry pass last night to Yao.

DD

18. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

We finally have a wing who can actually attack the basket and people are complaining? I'm sure some of you would want a starting lineup with about 2 feet of combined verticals but then so would the other team. I kind of like it when the other team has to make sure they know one of our players is more than just a three point threat because that kind of stuff helps out interior game too.

With Barry, you know what you're gonna get come playoff time. With Wafer, you still have a chance for him to develop into something special. Hes obviously still learning and I've seen a huge improvement in his defence in the last few games. Your team doesn't get better by playing your 36 year old and benching your 20 year olds.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Like I said... Vinnie Johnson part deaux.....

20. harryrms

harryrms Member

We are in big trouble if Wafer is our future. He is a very good bench
    player for us. Mostly because we lack of player with penetration
    ability. If you put him in Denver, I don't think he can get as many
    pt there.
    But I agree to play Wafer ahead of Barry. He makes a little more mistake
    but also score more points, especially when Rockets go into offensive drought
    mode.