1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Let's hope so.... Sorry to say this but he makes Francis look like Rhode Scholar with his B-Ball IQ.

2. T_Man

Actually Artest reminds of T.O in the NBA....

If you don't keep him involved he will MAKE sure you remember it; basically you know when he's going to shoot no matter what....

Watch when he comes down and starts clapping his hands for the ball... if he doesn't get he gets pissed... The next time he comes down and gets the ball... He's not giving it up, can be 5 on 1 and he's going to shoot..

Reminds me of Major Jones at Fonde when know would pick him to be on their team... Would take his ball and leave the gym.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I agree with you that Wafer is a blackhole. There have been 3-1 or 2-1 fastbreaks, and instead of passing the ball to the open man, he tries to score and misses.

It is as if he wants/needs to pad his stats, come hell or high water.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm beginning to see why Wafer bounced around the league since he was drafted. Unless he is catching and shooting, alot of his decision making is questionable.

I see him going 1 on 3 or 4 alot. I don't know who he thinks he is, but average rotation players don't go 1 on 4, he simply overrates his ability and thinks he is Dwyane Wade or someone like that. I also see him dribble and drive right into a waiting double team. WTF. For all of his athletic ability and being young, no defensive instincts, not much steals, just not alot of dedication to D when he has the athletic ability.

5. T_Man

I really don't think he knows any better.....

he reminds me a lot of Vinnie "the microwave" Johnson....

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Because Barry is old and gets injured

7. T_Man

Actually, Mike Fratello stated that his decision making was the reason he's bounced around the league so much.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

yeah I heard him say that too. I agree with Mike, who was an underrated coach.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, let me just say I like Wafer and has come trough for us a few times this year. That is undeniable.

If he could just undertand the team concept, his game would immensely improve, making himself and his teammates better. Is there someone that can teach him in the offseason?

Wafer, bb is not a 1 on 5 kind of game.

10. rage

rage Member

I like both Barry and Wafer. Each has his pluses and minuses. They give Aldelman 2 good choices to use, depending on the match-up and the situation. It's much better than a one-legged Tmac and Head.

11. Art7

Art7 Member

I disagree
    When barry gets hot he scores 9 points
    when wafer gets hot he scored 20

There were a lot of games this season that we won because of wafer. Vs Clevland was one of it. Yes yao did great and artest and other rockets but if barry played instead of wafer might of lost

12. T_Man

Well stated....

The preacher can preach to the congregation... Doesn't mean they are listening....

13. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

It's hard to believe the Wafer hate. And if Brent Barry was so good then San Antonio wouldn't have let him go?

Wafer has really helped make this team exciting to watch, along with Scola, and Brooks, it's great to have an up-tempo and athletic team.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No one can deny Barry's limitations, but Wafer needs to play a lot smarter too. There is a reason why he went scoreless last night,and that is worrisome on a team that doesn't have many scoring options.

15. T_Man

So just because we are ALL saying the same thing.. then we are HATING on Wafer.....

CLASSIC

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

RA needs to tell Wafer to stop shooting the 3s as much. He has hit a couple big shots, and had a couple good 3pt games, but if we need 3s I'd rather have Barry in. Wafer looks great when he penetrates. The opponents D should determine who plays... teams with great presence at the rim would have Barry in shooting the 3, teams that are allowing us to penetrate put in Wafer.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Don't know if you're talking about the Brent Barry, I've been watching all year. The guy gave us nothing in the beginning of the year and has a penchant for making hot dog passes that result in TOs. He can't dribble penetrate anymore because of his age. His only value is his erratic 3 pt shot.

Von is young, athletic and made big shots in the Boston and Cleveland games. I'll take him over Barry on long term planning purposes unless Barry starts hitting his threes at like a 45-50% clip.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Adelman didn't play him many minutes so thats a reason he didn't score. He had the Brooks/Lowry combination out there for much of the game. He does make mistakes but he's made some big shots in some big games. Our record would be far worse if Barry had played rather than Wafer.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Vanilla Wafer has been the highlight of the season for me. Brent Barry didn't make a shot for the first month or two of the season, or at least it seemed like it. Trust me, Rocket's fans are blown away by the least little demonstration of athleticism. We have seen so little of it.

20. trifecta333

trifecta333 Member

The thing that gets on my nerves in regards to Brent is the moronic and overly complicated passes he attempts to make. Sure, he'll hang out at the 3pt line and knock down a few 3s, but when he rarely try's to take the ball to the rack he never finishes. While on the other hand Von on occasions does become to complacent with shooting threes, but after missing a few threes, he'll penetrate and finish strong at the rim or hang it on the rim where Yao is able to get the put back. His penetration also gets other guys open shots, but he doesn't try to make some stupid behind the back pass that almost always turns into a turnover and a fast break for the opposing team.