1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Yeah one day I hope to ascend to great platitudes and have a weekly video of ME talking about the Rockets but first I have to figure out why TheFreak would call Adelman's assisstants black. Thats just racist!

2. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Wafer > Barry

3. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Minnesota is young and inexperienced as well, so he probably wasn't needed, and it was a back to back to boot.

4. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I am not as concerned about Barry's playing time for the regular season as much as in the playoffs. If he is hitting his 3's he will give us so much more inthe playoff race. He thinks way ahead of most everyone on the team, and that will come in handy later on. Wafer can win games for us here in the regular season. If he hadn't pured in his 19 points the other noght it would have been a preamble to the Chicago meltdown.

But, Barry needs to get more going this month for usre, and I agree with TS on that.

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

My only problem with Wafer is that he's looking to score too much and doesn't see when he can go the hole and when he can't. He's a bit like Artest, trying to force something instead of reading the defense and react accordingly but that will come with experience. Besides, whenever he tries to force something he makes more than 50% of the shots on one of his fade aways, hop-step shots or floaters.
    The guy is young, bring energy, hustles, wants to become better and can play alongside Barry for that much. I hope he will stay a Rocket for many years and develops into a good team player because he has the potential to become a starter a SG for any team in this league, no doubt.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

haven't watched his video, but uh -- his post actually made sense. yours didn't and made you sound like a tool. see how that works?

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barry has been particularly unimpressive since he came to the Rockets. Hopefully, he gets it together before the play offs.

8. Texas Stoke

You are the nimrod here buddy. I am willing to take on the Judas role because
    it's not about getting a punk like you and TheFreak and the 'false Rocket prophet' Dakota to agree with me so I can say what people want to hear day to day which will make me become a good poster. About Wafer, I am right. The way Wafer plays the game will add up eventually and it's going to bite us when the game tightens up and every possession counts in the playoffs. But go ahead, be a distick, whatever.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I was about to say great post and then read that you actually prefer no D whatsoever Barry. Barry is the new Luther Head (DNP-CD or Injured Reserved along with Dorsey and Tmac)

My reasons for Von.
    * Can get to bucket at will and finish (Barry gets there but doesn't finish)
    * Team see Barry and immediately post him up and score (Wally)
    * Barry, because of his age and diminished athletic skills, gets caught in screens all day long like the clock on the wall
    * Barry and Von take some crazy shots, however, we've seen Von put in more 3's than Barry
    * Von has more impact on the game and energy
    * Barry is always trying to coach someone instead of playing his game
    * No doubt Von's D is better than no D Barry. (Learning from Shane/Ron)
    * Von also rebounds at a higher clip than Barry.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

why don't you cry about it? the sad part is I partially agree with you, his mistakes will be magnified times 100 come playoff time. your points are completely thrown out the window because you're such a dickweed. maybe if you would learn how to present an argument without showing clear bias and acting like a spoiled 5 year old perhaps someone would acknowledge you. as is, right or wrong -- you're still an idiot. thanks for playing.

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Guys we don't get down like that on this site. Take it somewhere else. We seek intelligent points that may differ and we leave it at that.

12. Texas Stoke

I am and ******* and I make no apoligies about. My points are either wrong or right, irregardless of how they affect your sensitivites. And you can't partially agree with me. you are either 100 percent in agreement or on the wrong side of the fence. Wafer's selfish erratic play will end up hurting this team in the long term, theres no partial agreeing about it. I won't let him destroy the Rockets. now either get to fighting or get the hell out of the way.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

you're right, and for that reason I won't bother with this thread again. I won't even bother with the post he just made either. complete exercise in futility.

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

I think it's not too bad. Last game against the grizz...

Rox put in Von Wafer for about 9 mins.

Made 0 points, so he came out of the rotation.

Hell, Kyle Lowry got more minutes than Wafer. Doesn't that mean anything to you?

Rick Adelman didn't do such a bad job of rotating his players.

15. Texas Stoke

You are right. I noticed that. It also makes me glad Landry is back. Landry knows how to play the game.

16. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Texas Stroke.. I completely agree with your points.. but I would say we need to play Wafer as much as possible in the regular season.. just to make him gel with the team and learn how to play properly.. Barry is a smart ass and I am pretty sure he will step it up during playoffs.. just like he did last year.. That guy is just like any other playoff veteran and knows what needs to be done..

and I think you won't be seeing Wafer too much during the playoffs.. unless he gets hot on court Rick wont keep him ...

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I see and agree with the different points on this thread. I am leaning more on the side of go with the experienced player. We have enough players trying to learn on the job (Brooks and Lowry).

I like Wafer's energy and jumping ability a lot. I whole lot. I worry about his decision making if he doesn't have a wide open 3. His career numbers aren't great. Perhaps he's having a breakout season, but I think you use him in moderation. Barry should be playing as he is who I would trust more in the playoffs and ultimately who I would be playing.

Tough call, but I'd go with Barry.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Heed my words on this....

Unless someone takes control of Wafer he's going to kill this team come playoff time..

I luv his energy and aggression, but his B-Ball IQ STINKS.....

The dude is like a BLACK HOLE when he gets the ball and that's not good, so I understand where TexasStroke is coming from.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - he won't make that much of an impact in the playoffs unless he is scoring.

Texas Stoke just doesn't like the way he plays....it's cool, he is just wrong.

Not everyone can understand the game and put out excellent videos about ME understanding the game, like...ME...

LOL - come on dude, I make the videos for fun....SHEESH.

:D

DD

20. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Unfortunately the same thing can be said of Artest. If we have to depend on his decision making in the playoffs, we are left to the chance of his shots falling or not. Sometimes Artest makes the right play. Most recently, with the game going into crunch time, he's been less than stellar. I hope that's the exception, but I'm afraid it is not.