1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry vs. Von Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texas Stoke, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Rick Adelman is making a mistake by givng Von Wafer playing time over Brent Barry. The mistake may not seem obvious now but when the playoffs start I will be proven right. The Rockets rotation is being set by Adelman now that Landry is back and the only spot that seems up in the air is the question of who comes off the bench between Barry and Wafer. Now I know the answer to that question. It's Barry and the answer is balance. Barry's vet playoff experience will bring a balance to a lineup that has two young point guards who have never tasted the playoffs. Barry plays a controlled game that is going to benefit this group. On the other hand you got Wafer who plays very erraticly and out of control. basically the dude is a bonehead. I can't figure out why as a coach you would try to set your rotation, get everything set, get some continuity going into the playoffs, and choose to play a shot-happy bonehead over a vet who hase proven playoff experience, and even up until last year, has proven to produce in the playoffs.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think Adelman is playing the guys that will help win that night, and when there are games he can get away with resting Barry, like last night, he does.

SMART coaching.

DD

3. Texas Stoke

Why is there a need to rest Barry?

Shouldn't we be setting the playoff rotation now?

I think at this stage in the game you say 'this is who I want to go to war with
    in April'

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i think barry will be able to step up whenever his name is called. i think it's smart to give wafer the time to get comfortable in the rotation so that he's more ready come playoff time. dude's not used to getting big minutes in the nba and you don't want that to hurt you come playoff time.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree, Brent is not a young 20 something. Wafer brings Energy and Brent is here for Playoff experience and (hopefully) clutch shots.

6. 99bb

99bb Member

First, Wafer is so inconsistent.
    2nd, whenever he has the ball, he shoots it or takes it to the rim ===> end of the offense.
    I think Barry is much better than Wafer. ;)

7. Texas Stoke

Thats my point. Energy, Youth, and Inexperience - we have all that with Brooks and Lowry. When you throw Wafer in the mix it becomes discombulated. Thats my whole point, that youth, energy, and inexperience could really overflow in the wrong direction. This is why I say Brent Barry is a better option now and into the playoffs because he can level-out that youth and inexperience with his experience and veteran leadership. and for chrisakes its not like the guy can't shoot and spread the floor as well.

8. platinum

platinum Member

It seems that Barry is a better play maker. And Wafer is a better finisher.

In the 4th quarter lost to Bulls, it was Wafer on court. Barry might help out when offensing does not run.

9. mms

mms Member

Recently Wafer likes to settle with 3 or long 2. He should go to the rim more.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what has barry done this year to deserve playing time over wafer, barry is thirty seven years old, if you're relying on him to play major minutes in your rotation, well that's a problem

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

have you seen barry lately? he seems to be the one making bonehead decisions. the game's sped up and he's lost a step. the last time he played he turned it over practically every time he had the ball. adelman sat him the next 2 games after that Lol. i'm fine with Wafer playing now. he's got more upside in terms of being an x-factor in the playoffs. plus he's a streak shooter and he needs confidence. you can count on Barry to not play the whole game and still come in in the final minute to knock down a 3.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

every post I've seen from you in the past couple days is hating on wafer in some fashion. notice how you're the only one who has a problem with him? think about that for a minute.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Brent Barry is a more experienced and professional player.
    Von Wafer is just getting accustomed to being a contributor to success.
    Barry is a fill in for this season,
    Von Wafer is our future who needs experience and playing time. :p

Besides all of that Von Wafer brings excitement to the game and is loved by the fans! :p

14. Texas Stoke

If a player does not play the game the right way, I don't have to root against that because I am gifted with the ability to see things before they fully play out in the end. I know that short-term success, when acquired the wrong way, will inevitably add up to failure in the long run. so how about you chew on that for a minute, dipstick.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So what's your plan for when 'Bones' (this nick really fits now) gets injured?

Also, what the heck was Barry doing in that Chicago game? Looked like he was trying to throw the game.

OP, did you ever find out who Adelman's black assistant coaches who just 'sit there and do nothing' are? :rolleyes:

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Honestly, you probably could get Barry more minutes bringing him off the bench at the 3. He may not be the defensive player Battier or Artest would be but his offense and experience could easily help the younger bench players and Brooks then leaving Battier or Artest in there.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

so that's your entire argument and you follow it up by resorting to name calling? I'm glad you're not the gm or coach.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Von plays the game the right way, he hustles, and attacks the basket, it is HIS role.

Does he sometimes screw up and get over aggressive - sure, he is a young player.

Conversely, does Barry screw up and try to make fancy passes that turn into turnovers - Yes, he sure does.

So, neither is perfect, but I doubt Wafer gets much PT in the playoffs, unless he is hot.

Just relax, the Rockets know what they are doing, they are doing EXACTLY what the Spurs are doing getting everyone healthy for the playoffs.

DD

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

rationality? amazing! maybe you can rub off on this guy, DD.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Texas Stoke is usually a great poster, I think maybe he just doesn't like the way Wafer plays, I can understand that......but to me, he plays that way because he is asked to, it is his role.

DD