1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Barry: Can he produce..really?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ready, Sep 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ready

Ready Member

I need some kind of calming words or stats to help me see clearly how effective BB can be for us this season.

-Is he really our answer for increased shooting percentage?
    -Isn't he old now?
    -How many good solid years does he have left in the tank?
    -How good do you think his numbers will be this season?

I'm not trying to judge BB or slam him or the Rockets by saying he can't do anything
    ...it's just that I haven't been able to follow his play at all for years. It's just a gut instinct of mine to feel that the signing seems overrated?

ClutchFans help me see the light.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'll do better than Steve Novack - that's for sure.

3. Trojan

Trojan Member

He is for the playoff gmaes, so don't care too much about his performance in regular season.

4. Shay

Shay Member

He played last year only 31 games because of an injury and because he was traded.
    3 years prior that he was pretty durable.

If he is healthy he will be great for 15-20 minutes off the bench , he is the best shooter on the team and he will know how to run the offense and get the ball to Yao.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to suck though , he is old and had an injury last year.

Every year at least one off season acquisition turns out to suck , lets hope it's Barry and not Artest.

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

He is old, but Brent Barry is not the kind of high risk/reward signing. If we want him to start and play 30 minutes a game, then no, he will not be effective at all. But for 15 to 20 minutes, he can definitely bring the shooting and leadership on the table. We knew what we were getting when we got him, and barring injury, he's probably going to do just that.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

If he can bring what brother Jon brought to the Rockets 3-4 years ago, then I'd be ecstatic. I hope he's as entertaining as Jon because I still remember that year fondly.

7. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

He will probably be more effective than Head, at least in the playoffs. He can also play backup PG allowing us to play Battier,Mac, Artest at the same time.

8. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

If he was a starter, then I might be worried more about his health. But, I think he'll be a great locker room presence - he's dang funny - will be some instant offense off the bench, can step in at PG, can cover a few positions for depth, and great at hitting the three to spread things out.

9. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

He replaces Luther Head in the rotation.

You will start to notice a slight positive difference in the regular season, but when playoff time comes, it will pay massive dividends to not have Head on the court.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I don't see why you think this signing was overrated. People have barely mentioned Brent Barry's name since Artest was signed. At times, I tend to forget we even signed him because of all the attention on Artest. Plus, we didn't pay him much at all. This move falls under the category of low risk/medium-high reward as far as I'm concerned.

Basically, what is your basis for saying this acquistion was overrated? Who is overrating it? Where is it being overrated?

11. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

something like 15 - 20 minutes off the bench for 60 games while averaging about 7-2-2 with around 40 % on 3ps would be a success and a very valuable addition.

the thing is, if there's any player where age really doesn't matter it's brent barry. in his years with the spurs he wasn't a valuable bench player because of his athleticism or his defense. no, he contributed with smarts, sound basketball basics and a great shooting touch. all of this can't be taken away by father time. ;)

12. Dinki

Dinki New Member

He is a qualified combo guard and should shot better than Head in playoff.

13. stephen94

stephen94 Member

Considering he can play defense and has better handles. Sure!

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's better than Luther Head in every facet of the game.

Better shooter? Check
    Higher basketball IQ? Check
    Versatility? Check
    Experience/intangibles? Check
    Ability to handle the rock? Check

Even if he's only here to essentially replace Luther it's still a worthwhile and cost effective move. How can a move like this be overrated whenever the guy signs for what....$1.9M for the season?

15. stephen94

stephen94 Member

Luther does have one thing.

He's a hell of a lot better in the regular season. I say play Luther in the reg. season and play Brent in the playoffs.

16. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Barry is an exceptional 3 point shooter at 40% career; he will be able to replace Novak's 42%. Barry's age will have its advantages and disadvantages; he has the experience over Novak, however, he will not have the energy of Novak. All in all, he is mostly a Novak replacement.

Off topic: If Francis is going to be at least half of what he used to be, I wouldn't even consider Head being part of the rotation in critical games such as the playoffs. (7.1% FG for .8 PPG anyone?)

PG Rotation (Playoffs):
    Rafer Alston > Steve Francis > Aaron Brooks

PG Rotation (Regular Season):
    Rafer Alston > Steve Francis > Luther Head

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

:confused:

18. Asian Sensation

Maybe
    Yes
    1 maybe 2
    5 points, 2 assists, 2 rebounds

His biggest impact will be made when close games are on the line and he will be pivotal to our championship run in the playoffs.

19. Tmac-is-numero1

Yes.
    He will be our leading scorer
    :D

20. R0cketC1ty123

R0cketC1ty123 Member

he can knock down those threes at crunch time and provide an extra boost on the bench andddd he is an upgrad over luther