1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao has stress fracture in left ankle (related to previous injury)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Feel terrible for Yao. He deserves better.

As a Rockets fan accepting the end of the Yao era, the most frustrating thing is the tantalizing unrealized potential. Cuttino and Francis were fun but it was hard to see them leading us to anything substantial. Tracy and Yao though...Everyone here knows Tracy was the best perimeter player on the planet when he his head was on straight and heart was working, and Yao could be absolutely unstoppable. Unfortunately, the glimpses of greatness were so few and far in between my non-rockets fans never believed me because they didn't watch like I did.

I hate to say goodbye to the era of Yao, but looks like its coming to a close. Well, it has been for a while but I've been in denial.

2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Umm, no not exactly. And the only entity we've heard from is Rockets management. And now the latest is that the Rockets have no further comment.

Yao said he feels fine and he's begging the coaches to let him back on the court. That's a little different the stress fracture during the LA series.

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Well you could kind of tell he broke something more serious by the way they announced he had a two week timetable (and just a lesser injury), and then announced there was no timetable later. Kind of like they wanted to let the fans down easy after the team had won some games and they had something to be excited about (like a trade).

His past history had shown him to never be injury free. He had two foot injuries in his youth with the Chinese basketball association before he was ever drafted, and simply didn't have the body for the long term NBA wear and tear.

He was a warrior, and became the most successful, famous and wealthiest player from China in the NBA ever. He became a hero in his home country, and brought millions to the game of basketball. He also made our bad Rockets teams before him into teams with winning records and a second round playoff appearance. I hope he retires for his long term health, and continues to inspire others in China to reach his level of play and continue to make the NBA even better.

I and other Clutchfans appreciate you Yao. And I'm glad you were a Rocket.

1 person likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Never once did i say he sucks. Don't put words in my mouth just because you are upset. Yes, we should have gotten rid of him when we had the chance because now we are stuck with 17 mil. on the mend for, IMO, the rest of the season.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Sad to hear, thanks to Yao for doing his best.

Time to put it aside and focus on what this team can do this year.

6. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

such a bummer. never reached the full potential and pretty much wasted the last decade for the rockets. fml.

7. tested911

tested911 Member

Yao thanks for the memories we will never forget you big fella... Peace and have a long life..

8. mazinger

mazinger Member

Sign him for the min next year so at least he can make us some money.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

To those of us who have followed the Rockets religiously the past decade, this isn't a tragedy; it's just closure (or at least I hope it is). The tragedies occurred in the playoffs of 2005, 2007, and 2008.

It might not yet be a closed book that Yao's career here is done; nevertheless, if he's got a stress fracture now, then I certainly hope it is. No more hoping on a franchise that put all its eggs into the basket of a 7'6 giant. It's time to move on. Or at least I hope it is. Again.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

great post. now i just wish yao can care for more his health than anything.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Like I've been saying all year.. Who is this Yao Ming you guys speak of ?

12. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nFXkqef3Njk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nFXkqef3Njk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. Mr. Space City

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKUwcCp7LPE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKUwcCp7LPE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think its finally time for the Rockets and the org to move on from the Yao/TMac era and start building a young talented team. I feel bad for Yao, honest, talented, a very nice guy, played with heart every game. Can't say that about TMac who was a constant cancer to this team, physically and mentally.

Yao needs to retire, his legs are messed up and I would not play with that.

Thanks Yaoza

See ya around :(

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

So sad.

You have guys who make it to the NBA and get lazy, don't practice hard, don't learn plays, cash checks and float around. And then you have guys like Yao who work their butt off and are sincere in improving themselves and their team.

Too bad we'll never see that unique combination of size, skill, and dedication reach fruition. It must be incredibly depressing for him right now.

It was fun while it lasted. Add me to the curious who wonder if we can get an exemption for this.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Wow... he's done. There's no way he can rehab again from this injury. I just hope the Rockets can get an injury exception again from his salary. At this point its time to trade Battier and possibly Hayes too.

I wish Yao would have retired last season for Yao mostly. Him rehabing hard to come back is most likely the reason for the related injury. Best of luck to you in the future Yao, I hope you stay in Houston and stay active in the community. Yao has been so important to Houston sports and I hope he get the recognition he deserves.

18. srrono

srrono Member

First of all I would like to say that this is horrible news I feel bad for Yao he has been a class act, a warrior, with great heart. Disastrously his body cant keep up with his drive to play NBA basketball. All I can think about is what could have been, If he could have stayed healthy. Yao is a man of his word so this is most likely the last time we will see Yao as a NBA big man. I Wish him the best in the future.

19. laoliang

laoliang Member

Feel so bad. I have been hoping that Yao can come back and spend another 5 years in NBA, but ...

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Feel bad for Yao, good luck to him going forward and the Rockets too :(

I do hope though that Yao keeps fighting and doesnt retire. After all these surgeries, he should try and salvage what career he has left. And I still hope we can resign him, for the minimum etc...