1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao has stress fracture in left ankle (related to previous injury)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Sad news, no doubt, but since it was inevitable, I'm grateful for the timing of it. So many other times the news has come when we had big contender hopes and dreams; a few weeks away from the playoffs. This time it's come early in the season when we're a .400 team. If it had come when we had gotten ourselves up to being a .500 team, our spirits would be crushed once again. Now we can just enjoy the rest of the season watching our young talents continue to develop, and hope for a brighter future. Good luck to Yao and to this great group of guys that's going to struggle to find its way for awhile.

2. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Although it's sad for Yao and the Rockets, I don't think anyone is really surprised by this. I'd be surprised if Yao doesn't retire now, but he's no quitter either.

How long before Yao states his intentions? Keep going or retire?

If he does retire, can the Rockets trade his contract? I mean that in terms of NBA rules as well as the effect it has on the Chinese fan base.

3. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

This is truly sad and heart breaking to fans and to Yao himself. I wish him the best

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Sad to see man.

Yao/Tmac era can be compared to a slow death. They just broke down in the end.

We can make a splash in free agency this upcoming summer...

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have two thoughts on this... Well three thoughts.

One... I don't think Morey will trade Martin for a guy like him.

Two... I wonder if Morey will go after Gorat from Orlando.

Three... I don't know if the Rockets will trade Yao's expiring contract out of respect for him and the Chinese fans. That's a lot of money they are worried about losing.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Actually crossed my mind during the baseball winter meetings, how the situations are similar. Hope the make better choices then the Stros continued to do.

7. HTownRockets#34

yeah, the timing at least is something we can take away as a positive. and honestly speaking, with brooks comin back, we still have a shot at that 8th seed without yao while still developing our young talent. we were playing better without him anyway (when he wasn't playing back to backs, and only 20 mins).

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well I oughtta b**** slap everyone that thought he was coming back or had value

9. mig0s

mig0s Member

He felt that he can play. Let him play hardcore this season and make it his last.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"TheRocketGuy" has never been right. It looked for a bit like he would luck out with his guess on Dampier, but he ended up failing there as well. Martin for Haywood is too ridiculous to even speculate about.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

12. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

1. I agree, and I hope you're right. Never liked Haywood's game.

2. Now you're talking.

3. What teams are looking for cap space anyway? No Lebron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes this year, so I doubt no teams are really looking to dump payroll. Maybe the Kings (Dalembert + Landry for Yao?), but even that is unrealistic.

This really bums me out.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Like every other Rocket soul, I feel badly for Yao Ming -- a great player, a great competitor, a great man in so many ways. Here's wishing a magic Boniva pill for you, Great Wall.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the Astros went all in on rebuilding. aside from the Barmes move, they've been pretty solid on just acquiring young assets.

more importantly, they realized it was broken..and that they had been fooling themselves.

i hope the rox get there soon. i hope they realize they're a lot further from being a contender than they have thought...i think being in a league where more teams make the playoffs than not allows more the delusion that you're really good...when you're really pretty mediocre.

15. KevinMartin12

KevinMartin12 Member

Its time to move on and build without yao. Im not surprised one bit

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Rocket Guy is hilarious.

Kevin Martin for Brandon Haywood? Haywood as a person and a player is a canker sore.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its was a farce the all in anyway, but it was expected. Team building doesn't requires a super star offensive player, but it can also happen with a superstar,game changing,defensive, big guy also.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but you just know that Morey would love to flip his contract, but won't because Les wants the ties into the Chinese market.

DD

19. rocketsmetalspd

Damn this is just not fair for Yao. The team needs to make a deal for a C and the only one out there is the Grizzlies want to get rid of Thabeet. JJ for Thabeet.

20. rox81

rox81 Member

Are you *****ing nuts? It's one of the happier days in Rox history. Now we can finally put this Kung Pao Chicken behind us and win a championship!

(Yes, I went there.)