1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao has stress fracture in left ankle (related to previous injury)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Ashes

Ashes Member

Goodbye Yao. Sorry it didn't work out. Move on from basketball.

Time for him to retire and the Rockets to build a team without him.

2. srrono

srrono Member

lol teach miller to run slower

3. Landlord Landry

man. couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

he tried his ass off. I'll always luv the big fella's heart.

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

I am just heartsick right now. For Yao, for his teammates, for the organization and the fans. What in the heck did we do for the Rockets to have this kind of bad luck? Is the Toyota Center built over a graveyard or something?

Yao was one of a kind, gifted, humble and hard working. Proud that he was and will always be a Rocket.

glad to get in on the first 11 pages of what is likely to be a REALLY long thread...

5. conquistador#11

After the olajuwon era, Yao and Manu have been my favorite players to follow in the entire NBA. It's sad when you see such a talented individual not live up to his own expectations. He was always loyal to team. I believe he would want us to move on.
    One day, maybe ten years from now, Tinman will start threads about Rockets heroes and remind us of the day Yao, on his way to the locker room, yelled at the trainer and asked to rejoin his fellow brothers against the lakers.

Godspeed yao.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Should have traded for Odom and the #8... :(

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What I heard:

it's a fracture on a bone that RARELY has a stress fracture

grant had it...and needed to have multiple surgeries because surgeries kept failing to work...(because it's so rare)

MRI done likely because of new pain

it's treatable...but when you change mechanics of one foot and other one is different....you fix one problem and it causes another as you displace stress to different bones

treatment options - immobilization (cast/boot and everytime you do that you weaken muscles all through legs and foot). fix stress fracture through surgery, but it doesn't always heal. they learned a lot from hill's injury though and why initial surgery didn't work for him....but complex because they've already restructured his foot once and given his size. you can't just keep cracking his foot open and realigning it.

nightmare for franchise and for yao

take away all previous injuries he had and recovery time would be 6-8 weeks before rehab...so this season is over for yao. shocked if yao played again this year, regardless of treatment. but if he has surgery, no way he comes back.

start clock over again with this injury....he won't be working on this ankle for another 6-12 months

yao will go to vail and see tom clanton and other surgeons

hard to imagine yao able to ever do again what he did when he first started his career

long term health after hoops - this will heal and walking around he'll be fine. teaching/clinics will be fine. likely to have arthritis in foot and ankle causing him to limp. but if keep opening foot up you expose to infection like hill had....but hill isn't a 300 lb guy either.

look at "super-bigs" who've played the game before. incredible how early they break down. due to super size and the pounding on the court. exceed body limits at that height and size. bodies not designed to do this at this force...hoops not designed for guys at this size under the number of games and minutes they play. body engineering issue.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

Thanks for the memories big fella. Now is the time to move into the front office as Director of International Relations whereby we can supply you with a few million $ per year until you are ready to purchase minority ownership of the franchise. As stellar as Yao Ming the player was, Yao Ming the man was and is even better. It will be our honor to continue having you as part of our organization.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i love yao as much as the next guy, the guy is all class, so i dont mean to sound like an ass when i ask....can we trade him as an expiring? i mean 17 mill will get you something from a team trying to rebuild and clear cap space

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

"I told you so"

-Cuttino Mobley

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thunder. Trail Blazers. Hawks (turned into veteran assets). Magic. Jazz.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

At the end of the day, the team still needs a superstar (or two), and have more or less the same assets to use to acquire them.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, this sucks.

Do what's best for yourself big guy... you've already done more than enough for us.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheRocketGuy Houston in town looking at Haywood last night...Kevin Martin headed to Dallas for Haywood, in light of Yao's new injury?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Pretty much and I've been on that boat a long time ago. This dream or fantasy or farce was the "if" or "when" which was never was. I like Yao, I really,really, rescpect a player like Yao. He came over here as a young guy with so much pressure of an entire country and did all he can do, but the nba is not about the was, its about the is. He was durable, he is fragile and eating up cap space. Thats why for the life of me I didn't understand the miller signing and the 24 minute thing. They shouldve just played him till something happened one way or the other. Great having the guy,good player,move on.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Very depressing stuff.

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It is fixable but he WON'T BE ABLE to play again. His carrer is 99.99% done.

17. htown11

htown11 Member

Extremely sad news. For a guy who clearly worked his tail off to be the best he could be it's unbelievably depressing.

Puts his injuries into perspective. :eek:

[​IMG]

Gonna miss the big man big time.

18. MadMax

honestly, it's some of the EXACT same stuff this very doctor said on the exact same station right after Yao's injury against the Lakers. he said then that Yao would never be the same again...that he'd be playing on borrowed time with limited minutes, at best.

19. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I don't see Dallas helping us with a center. Problem with trading for one now is that the whole league can hold them for ransom with us. Morey's not one to overpay in trades, so I doubt if he does anything. Not till the trade deadline anyway.

Ugh.

20. MadMax

I agree with you, and then some. A lot of moves made pretending...holding on. Similar to the Astros before they finally nuked it last season.