1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Trump's Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the border wall thing is so popular, why does Trump has to hold the rest of government functions hostage to get it? He should be able to either convince a majority of both chambers of Congress to vote for it on the merits, or to get pro-Wall candidates elected to a majority of both chambers.

edwardc likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. NewRoxFan

Seriously... quoting noted political scientist bigtexx... trump is too lazy to put in the hard work to bring Democrats and republicans together on this. Hence, he has a temper tantrump and shuts down the government. #sad.

Deckard and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

How is a wall a nuanced approach?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why is a wall a problem?

I don't buy the cost issue because the same people who complain about that relatively small cost push for absolutely ridiculously expensive programs.

I don't care about the "it'll hurt animal migration" nonsense.

I don't believe that a physical border is ethnic cleansing.

So without going those routes, why do you think it's worth shutting down the government to prevent it from being built?

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Temper tantrump? I like.

Deckard likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because you don't buy into those reasons, doesn't mean they aren't legitimate reasons. Animal migration is certainly a real reason to be against it whether you believe it or not. There are so many reasons why we should be against it, and I can't think of one reason to be in favor of it.

edwardc likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So essentially those BS reasons are the best you have then? Exactly as I thought.

As to one reason to be in favor of it, how about 89% of Border Patrol saying that it was absolutely necessary for them to properly do their job?

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again, what you believe is BS isn't necessarily BS.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Again, what you believe is BS isn't necessarily BS.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL that's fine, I just wanted to make sure we were on the page, that those were the best you could come up with when it comes to reasons to shut the government down in order to prevent the wall from being built.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Some of them are valid. There are countless others that have been posted here many times. There is no reason for me to go into them all again. You are familiar with them. Of course, the fact that it isn't really effective is number one.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You not thinking that it would be effective is no reason not to do it, especially when we're only talking about 70 billion tops, the US wastes many times that all the time. I mean, filibustering causing the shutdown is likely to cost the government more than the 5 billion they were asking for.

I'm not saying that building a wall wouldn't possibly stop some animal migration, I just don't think it's a good enough reason to not secure the border. For the most part IMO people freak out about the idea of a wall for one of two reasons, either they support illegal immigration or they simply are an "orange man bad" type.

People can be against it, but to be so against it that you'd be willing to shut down the government over it....that's just kind of crazy.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

People can be for it, but to be so for it that you'd be willing to shut down the government over it....that's just kind of crazy.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I disagree since the US has the worst illegal immigration problem in the world, it makes sense wanting to do something about it and stop putting it off. That said, I would agree that it would have been better if the Democrats hadn't filibustered and shut down the government.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'll take...

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

....the mantle.

19. NewRoxFan

20. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Next he will tweet out, "We never wanted Mexico's money anyway. We just wanted them to know we are really mad at them"