1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: same-sex marriage now legal in all 50 states.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Was already morphing. Had nothing to do with Obama

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Considering he was against it publicly for a good portion of those 6-7 years I find it hard to give him much credit.

More credit belongs to Hollywood, the LGBT outreach efforts and the American people themselves who tend to be pretty willing to change their views as more exposure and information comes their way.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I looked through this and pinged page 8 of Scalia's dissent, which reads like a Seinfeld episode. It really looks like you're just skimming through the Scalia dissent or maybe picking up Twitter quotes from it instead of reading the actual legal opinion.

Justice Scalia, defender of all marriage/hippie(???) stereotypes and prudent legal/logical reasoning.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Sure, it had nothing to do with the two justices appointed by Obama or the fact that Obama's executive order changed the rules for same sex marriage on a federal level.

I find it HILARIOUS the mental and rhetoric contortions that conservatives will engage in to avoid giving credit to Obama for anything.

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Let give credit where it is due.

Our new earthly overlord - the world wide web of information freely flowing. It's spreading and there is no stopping it.

7. Major

Major Member

This simply isn't true. Going into the North Carolina vote in 2012, Obama had been ambivalent on gay marriage and it had never passed a single referendum vote. It often failed due to the black vote, which was fairly strongly aligned against gay marriage. Many blamed the NC failure on Obama's unwillingness to fight for it.

The day after that vote, Obama (pushed accidentally by Biden) came out strongly in favor of gay marriage. Within weeks, public opinion amongst African Americans and black churches swung dramatically, and shortly after, gay marriage won for the first time on the balllot. And then it has snowballed ever since.

How much his endorsement may have spurred this is unclear, but he definitely had an impact.

One of many articles from the time on it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...s-record-low/2012/05/22/gIQAlAYRjU_story.html

Public opinion continues to shift in favor of same-sex marriage, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll, which also finds initial signs that President Obama’s support for the idea may have changed a few minds.

Overall, 53 percent of Americans say gay marriage should be legal, hitting a high mark in support while showing a dramatic turnaround from just six years ago, when just 36 percent thought it should be legal. Thirty-nine percent, a new low, say gay marriage should be illegal.

The poll also finds that 59 percent of African Americans say they support same-sex marriage, up from an average of 41 percent in polls leading up to Obama’s announcement of his new position on the matter. Though statistically significant, it is a tentative result because of the relatively small sample of black voters in the poll.

The poll comes two weeks after Obama unexpectedly endorsed same-sex marriage after a year and a half of “evolving” on the subject. Gay rights groups predicted the president’s announcement would have a far-reaching impact on public opinion, in part because Obama described how he came to his own decision, referring to his gay friends and the influence of his young daughters, Sasha and Malia.

1 person likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

And as noted earlier, Obama's USSC appointees, his executives actions, and his fight against DADT all were critical pieces to get here.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

^ didn't know that. Good stuff. So Obama, the most ineffective president ever, have made two historic changes to the USA. I want more of this ineffective stuff down the pipe.

10. Mr. Clutch

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not religious, but if I were, I'd be shouting, "Thank you, God!" This ruling was so overdue. A tremendous day!

Oh, and Commodore? With all due respect, and I say that sincerely, you are a freakin' hypocrite. It's fine for the Supreme Court to "legislate" from the bench when it fits your political agenda, but when it doesn't, you have a meltdown. Get a grip, dude. The world is changing. You're like the little kid in grade school put in a corner for throwing a fit, still screaming with your face to the wall.

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And simple exposure on a human level. I'm part of this younger demographic that simply doesn't care about somebody's sexual orientation. One of my uncles is gay, we had a couple living next to us while growing up and I have gay friends. Because of their courage to live openly, they knocked down the biases that many older generations had from simply never knowing a gay person.

13. Mr. Clutch

I give him credit for TPP and appointing Bernanke

14. Mr. Clutch

He was instrumental in Citizens United

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know.

I do not doubt it was already morphing, as there was a strong grass roots effort prior to the election of Obama and during his presidency from the gay rights movement. However, do you really think this would have happened as quick with Mitt Romney or John McCain? I certainly do not.

Also, least we forget, it was not that long ago that the bastion of liberal diarrhea California voted against against a similar initiative.

Ultimately Obama will get a great deal of credit.... and I think he deserves some, but we will never know how much.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty big one, but that one have very little support from everywhere, all sides. It's going to get over turn. The ACA and Marriage is done. Those won't go back. Progress work in funny way.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I know the religious right want to inject fear along the lines of "War on Christianity", haven't the courts already ruled to protect religious hospitals to prevent them being required to perform abortions and prescribe birth control pills?

So why would the courts allow a ruling to require them to perform marriage ceremonies that are against their religious thinking?

18. Mr. Clutch

Yeah may have been slower with a different composition of justices, but I think it was inevitable

19. Mr. Clutch

I doubt it will get overturned because none of the bad predictions about it have come to pass

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2005: Our marriage won't affect your rights.

2014: Bake a cake or be destroyed.

2015: We won't touch your church. Promise. Tee hee.</p>&mdash; John Nolte (@NolteNC) <a href="https://twitter.com/NolteNC/status/614443865622343681">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>