1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: same-sex marriage now legal in all 50 states.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Commodore's meltdown is delicious.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You just contradicted yourself in your two bolded statements.

Nothing you say right now makes any sense in the American context of a constitutional republic. You do realize that this is the rule of law? Or are you going to look past seventy years + of legal precedent when it comes to fundamental rights?

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was literally just thinking: "Man this RedRedemption kid is immature as hell"

Then you do something mature like fess up to you own hypocrisy. Stop screwing with MY biases!

1 person likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do you disagree with this opinion as well:

5. Major

Major Member

All of these gay marriage decisions across the country are based on his own legal reasoning from 2013.

<a href=http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9861936&postcount=29>Do you, though?</a>

A few days ago, you wanted the court to get rid of it.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's the rule of 5 men, who ignored the law.

[​IMG]

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

The opposing counsel rested all of their eggs in four baskets: "same-sex marriage harms opposite-sex marriage", "same-sex marriage harms the procreative element of marriage", "marriage is not a fundamental right/dignity-conferring", and "let the democratic dialogue proceed."

Justice Alito added the "what about polygamy" canary.

Out of those four, #1 is non-sensical and assumes that the majority of people are prejudiced against same-sex couples, #2 was elegantly debunked by Ginsburg "what about the seventy year old couple", #3 and #4 is what the bulk of the argumentation deals with. #5 is Alito-nonsense, but it made sure the opinion was tailored to be very narrow in the sense that same-sex marriage between one man and one man or one woman and one woman and its obvious equivalencies between one man and one woman were enumerated.

If you're not going to argue #3 and #4 with any specific arguments and skirt around this issue, that's fine, but it betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of how the law works in your own nation and an utter lack of the same "legal reasoning" you decried without properly reading the opinion.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm glad the inevitable has finally come and put all the tortuous state-by-state fights to bed.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

We did express our policy preferences by electing Obama and Clinton, who in turn appointed judges as directed by the Constitution. These judges decided that bans on same sex marriage violated the Constitution and struck them down.

In other words, our democracy worked in exactly the way the Constitution directs.

10. Commodore

No, I wanted the court to enforce the text of the law, that subsidies/mandates applied to state exchanges only, as it clearly states.

11. Major

Major Member

What law did they ignore?

And where was this version of Commodore when the court was overruling the will of the people in Citizens United or other right-leaning decisions?

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not engaging in any partisan bickering today. I'm just so happy for my gay friends who were moved to tears by the freedom they were given today. What a great day.

13. Faust

Faust Member

unless you have a law degree i don't think you or anyone here can say what is good legal reasoning or which judge can write crap.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^I agree with all of this^^

15. Nook

Nook Member

Taking political positions out of the equation, I do not see how anyone can argue against this point.

Ultimately, the Presidency of Obama has resulted in MASSIVE changes in the legal and societal view of homosexuality. In only 6-7 years the attitudes and treatment of homosexuals has morphed greatly. I am not naive enough to believe that there is no longer issues or abuses. How much of it was Obama? I don't know, but there has been an enormous shift in a small period of time.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Unless of course you're a corporation. ;)

17. Major

Major Member

Or your interpretation of one sentence in the law, despite contradictions in other parts of the law.

18. Commodore

he's talking about essences and enduring bonds and intimacy, it's not a legal opinion

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Do you realize how idiotic this sounds?

Last time I looked, your cherished constitution spelled out three branches of government.

Maybe you should review the function of each of these three branches.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Amazing, god bless this country.