1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: same-sex marriage now legal in all 50 states.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Exactly. Dubious is trying to pile on the Christian-hating, but doesn't have his logic or fact base set, as is frequently the case with his posts.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Christianity was once a tool used to torture blasphemers, apostates, adulterers etc. Luckily the formation of secular governments suppressed this notion in Christianity.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Are you trying to establish equivalency with Islam's problems? Not even close to being on the same scale.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So at Church service yesterday I had to listen to the pastor's wife talk about Christianity being under attack and that

"The Mayor of Houston announced she has the authority and will arrest ministers who publicly disapprove The new LAW that makes gay marriage legal."

My Mom good friends with her is no sucker and almost laughed in front of me. I love that women.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Today? No, it would be a false equivalency but the reason for this is formations of secular nation-states.

Much of the rhetoric is still similar.

Both invoke a similar notion of 'objective morality' from the Abrahamic God.

#265 fchowd0311, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Love don't hate, brotha

I love the Christian sentiment Mr. Obama expressed in his eulogy last week.
    Christ's message is about what you do yourself, not what other people do. It's so clear to be so misrepresented by Christian Conservatives.

I'm 100% all for people living His message. I'm all for people finding peace of mind in whatever philosophy they can.

#266 Dubious, Jun 29, 2015
  7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

how did a comparision to Turkey and ISIS come up? :confused::confused::confused:

Both are very much on the wrong side of history--so is everybody else against this ruling now. arguing that one group is slightly more retrograde than another on this seems a moot point.

As for the legacy of LGBT rights in America and the moderating influences of religion X over religion Y, America is only 70 years or so removed from castrations, torture, and lobotomies of homosexuals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie...-gay-aversion-therapy-revealed_b_3497435.html

And only 40 years or so removed from widespread electrical shock treatment--and 0 years removed from conversion treatment and workplace discrimination.

This ruling is one of the definitive beginnings of the end to a sad, sordid tale that has been told throughout many nations in varying times. That's something to be celebrated as much as every instance of wrongful history should be condemned.

It is also a reminder that the rule of law, democratic process and the seperation of church and state often remain important bulwarks for substantiative civil rights issues and that trivializing cases like this ignores the history and evolution of important rights--and why they matter.

"Outlaw to outcast may be a step forward, but it does not achieve the full promise of liberty."

#267 Northside Storm, Jun 29, 2015
  8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are plenty of people that would prefer it that way.