1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What about a guy like Cuban? The Mavs have been a powerhouse for a while now, and Cuban is a strong supporter of Moneyball basketball. Remember one thing, for ever strong guy like a Kupcheck you occasionally get a guy like MJ. Kwame Brown? Seriously? You made that mistake TWICE? Instincts and statistics are checks and balances for each other. One has to temper the other. If you're all instinct you're rash, if you're all statistics you will treat your players like stocks. It takes a bit of both in my book.

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, lol. So let me clarify my point. I do believe the team has talent. I do think they overachieved offensively only. I don't think they overachieved as far as wins. They definitely did not overachieve on defense. They sucked horribly at that.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

As funny as that seems ... imagine this team with Demarcus Cousins... or to a lesser extent tyreke Evans on it... A much brighter future wouldnt you say. Yes Adelman is a great coach and no one could have done better given the circumstances. But what makes him great is also his achillies heel. He is gonna win every game possible. With how our the league is nowadays we need a legit star to contend. Not gonna get one in FA, and our current assets arent quite good enough to land one. The only way is through the draft .... we just desperately need a high pick and with Adelman coaching we are gonna be too good to land one... yet not good enough to contend either...so were stuck until we make a decisive move.. and Morey made one.

I am genuinely suprised by all the Morey hate going on. What has he not done for us. He has gotten great players late in the draft. Landry, Brooks, Bud ( Artest pretty much .. 2 late 1sts) .... sure he has a few misses in Taylor and Dorsey but those are second round picks and no GM has even been as good as him in those situations. He made Tmac turn into 2 picks and Jordan Hill and Kevin Martin.... My God he has done alot of things really well. His only mistake to me was signing Brad Miller... but hey that may have been more of Adelmans input.. even so Miller is a club option after this season.

I think alot of the Hate comes from realizing that the Rockets are gonna suck next year ... and i know how bad it is to watch a team suffer through a shi**y season but the pain will be well worth it. In 2012 hopefully we will know what we really have from our young players ( thabeet , Twill, Hill, Bud , Lee ) and end up with our 2011 1st (s) and our ( hopefully high 2012 1st) plus the knicks pick ( assuming they arent top 5) ... that bright future scenario doenst happen with Adelman here and it will a year of not winning many games but hopefully you find a true star and can contend for 10 years..we are losing the battle to win the war.

4. worzel gummidge

1 person likes this.
  5. worzel gummidge

The Bobcats have one of the top defensive frontcourts in the league. Kwame's also meant to be the best PnR defender in the league.

6. inishi

inishi Member

Again, do some research. Rick has always been a solid defensive coach ( Portland and sacramento and here when we had the players ). Your le making an assumption and its wrong. Not to mention those teams play at a snails pace. it Comes down to the roster. WE START A 6'6 CENTER AND LUIS SCOLA NEXT TO EACH OTHER. what do you expect

7. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I wish I am a Rockets owner, so I would have kept Adelman as long as he can. He has done an incredible job as a coach in Houston. He is the best Rockets coach I ever seen besides Rudy. Jeff Van Gundy came behind him. I really hope Rockets management feels bad about letting him go, so maybe they could change mind soon and renew his contract.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yeah, but I bet you anything MJ would want that pick back. Kwame as a number one draft pick is still completely laughable. He is a late first rounder, if not early second rounder. True, the second time around Kwame wasn't as bad of a pick up, but I still think it shows MJ's instincts are not always spot on. This guy was arguably the GOAT and even his instincts are suspect. It doesn't mean instincts are bad, like I said they need to be tempered by numbers.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am agreeing with you. Just sarcasm because I've been arguing that the team has talent for a while now in this thread. But some disagree saying the team doesn't have talent...pretty much at all. Which is new to me.

To say the team is mediocre (which I believe) is one thing. To say the team is devoid of any talent is entirely something else.

10. STR8Thugg

Exactly!!! When we have bigs on the bench that are 6'10'' plus and better defensively!!! I realize that Jordan Hill shouldn't get more mins than Scola, but maybe we shouldn't have played Scola, Martin, and Bud together so much!!! Maybe we should have played PPat early in the season, and maybe he should have gotten more mins later in the season!!! It was no coincidence that we played much better defense when he was in the game!!! I'm not saying we were gonna be the best defensive team in the league, but if we played just a little better defense (like giving up 100 ppg instead of 104) then we would be a 50 win team!!! How many times did you watch Scola, Martin, Bud, Hayes, etc, etc, give up a wide open layup instead of fouling and sending the other team to the line?!? It really is that simple. If they played harder on defense and didn't play so many ****ty defenders at once, they would have been a better defensive team!!! And yeah, RA has had good defensive teams when he has had LOTS of talented defenders. His teams USUALLY underachieve on defense, and the Rockets were no exception the last 2 seasons!!!

11. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

[Orlando Magic Blog] Stan VanGundy Considered to Replace Adelman

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/4/18/2118915/wojnarowski-after-parting-with-rick-adelman-houston-rockets-to

12. STR8Thugg

Finally a voice of reason on this ridiculous thread.

13. Asian Sensation

Beats the hell out of Mike Brown.

Still not sure if he's the answer though. Losing Rick really sucks. :(

1 person likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Players react to Adelman departure

Link

sam_amick Sam Amick
    Battier via e-mail: "I don't think there was ever a player that played for Coach Adelman that had a negative experience. He is one of the few coaches that gives you ownership of the team, a rare trait in today's coaches. He did an amazing job w/ an often understaffed team during my years in Hou. & continued 2 prove that he was a hall of fame coach."

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

To be fair, a lot of guys said the same thing after Gundy left too...

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

LOL of course Miller loves Adelman..Adelman is the main reason Miller has a contract.

What player wouldnt want to play for him..a great coach... a fun, flowing offense that birng up stats, and in the rockets case ( recently) a lack of accountability on D. He is a great coach and will be missed. But it is time for the rockets to rebuild and look to the future ... I already explained why that cant happen with Adelman here.

17. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Obviously, a lot of people here including me wants Rick to stay. Why would Rockets let him go after having all winning record seasons with Houston? I know we missed last two playoff seasons but so what? Are you expecting Rockets to make playoff with this roster without Yao Ming? I don't think so. Rockets owner and gm have to remember that Rick is able to win a lot of games with at least a super star. Come on, Rockets management. Think, man!

18. houseofglass21

Well, it looks like next season will be an even bigger BUST. And I'm sure the players will resent the decision to let Adelman go and not play as well

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thank you God. Thank you Les. Good riddance.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The question is not whether you can find another good coach-- you can and I trust Morey and Les will work diligently to get a good coach in the fold. After all, they got an excellent coach to replace JVG.

What bothers me is that this team may be developing a reputation as one that forces coaches out even when they are doing a good job. Adelman is the third straight Rockets coach replaced after a winning season and exiting on bad terms with management (the JVG situation was a bigger PR disaster than this one because Jeff refused to shut up about it). It's becoming a pattern. I don't think it benefits a team to have that sort of reputation.