1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

With RA we consistently played above our talent level. We were 'in' virtually every game even while missing a lot of starters. To coach to winning records with $40M sitting on the sidelines for 2.5 years is truly excellence.

Also in the past we often got owned by the opposing coach due to obvious late game mistakes but not with RA. I don't get this.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yup. Numbers didnt make Jerry West a good GM.

It has a lot to do with basketball instincts and Rick Adelman will always be better at that than Morey, Les, and all their TI-82 calculators combined.

Welcome to NBA Mr. Morey. Let's see what you can do now that Adelman's system wont be here to mask your deficiencies.

1 person likes this.
  3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Who on that Rockets team could you surround a team around? Since we were spook talented

4. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Wow what amazing ignorance. $40M sitting on the bench 80% of those two seasons... Key injuries among the players remaining as well. Are you kidding me!!!$#@$#@ Was an incredible feat to avoid being the Kings in that scenario.

5. inishi

inishi Member

LOL dude. The year they improved was the year they drafted derrick rose, brought in John salmons and brad Miller, all of whom made pretty hig contributions. No ***** they improved. The rockets made a slight improvent with basically the same team with the same glaring weaknesses. How are seriously still making the comparison. Cool, now we are team of solid role players, starting buddinger ad a 6'6 center, minus a hof coach. Good situation.

6. inishi

inishi Member

I assumed that when you said everyone here was going on about how stacked re team was before the season, you meant this year. It was stacked, as long as they were playing WITH YAO MING.

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I never understood this. I'm not so sure why "rockets fans" are so quick to label the roster as "not very talented" and that under Adelman we "played above our talent level". AB played way, way below his talent level this season. For that matter, so did Jordan Hill, TWill, and Miller. Okay, so maybe the last two were poor examples but just because some of the players succeeded (offensively) in RA's system, doesn't mean the team overachieved. We consistently played garbage defense (if any at all), and I witnessed on many occasions RA's offense struggling mightily towards the end of close games. Sure, many of those situations can be attributed to un-clutch players and/or poor shot selection, but I also noticed a lot of unsuccessful play calls and disorganized offense in crucial moments when RA was supposed to be at his best. If he is so good at breaking down the other teams defense with his superb play calling, this just wouldn't have been the case. Sorry, I like Rick Adelman, but not enough to freak out over his departure.

8. GF#1

GF#1 New Member

Not Adelman's fault that they traded Battier for peanuts and Yao can't stay healthy. Good luck finding another coach as good as Adelman. He got the absolute most out of this team, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

Except that we aren't as ****ty and untalented as you seem to think we are?!?! Jesus, what amazing ignorance.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm...I'm not talking the pre-bull Rose and post-bulls Rose. I'm talking of the two years VDN coached the Bulls, he did not coach them pre-rose. But the team he coached for two years barely made any improvement if at all but still...many people considered that he did the best job a coach could do with that team (like RA) and the Bulls still fired him.

11. inishi

inishi Member

look at our roster, you can't expect lock down defense with the players we have. That's like expecting Shane to put up tmac numbers nightly. You don't know what plays Rick called, but he is a coach known for his offensive mind with extensive experience in the league, and in crucial games. For all you know it could be a lacknof execution on the players part. I know that I saw Kyle or Aaron dribble out the clock at the top of the key on several occasions. I doubt that is what Rick Drew up.

12. STR8Thugg

Well Yao, if he was healthy. :rolleyes: But as far as the others, you wouldn't. I did not say we had a legit superstar. I said we were talented. Collectively, as a team we were talented and played well together. RA certainly helped, but he is not the greatest coach in the history of the world like everyone on the board all of a sudden seems to think.

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I would have liked to keep Rick, but the Rockets played right at their talent level. Not above it.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you kidding, Vinny D was garbage as a coach, and most people in Chicago wanted him gone.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

New to me.

Now all of a sudden this team is devoid of talent. Seriously.

The moment the rumors of Rick being let go start to surface the team suddenly became talentless and had no good players.

Just a few weeks ago everyone was pissed off such a talented bunch could drop such important games to the likes of the 6ers and Kings...

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have to imagine Les talked to Daryl and asked if he could produce a winner with his type of coach...Daryl must have said YES and thus we are here. So my question now is...how long a leash does Morey have from Les?

17. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Until we find our own superstars through draft picks, expect us to be mediocre for years to come.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol you're right. I know a Chicago fan that constantly complained about the guy. But the media perception of VDN was that he did everything he could with that team...just like Rick here. That still didn't stop Chicago from moving forward.

19. STR8Thugg

This season alone, the Pistons, Nets, Pacers, Bobcats, and Bucks were much better defensively than the Rockets. A few of those teams have decent 7' centers, but I'm not so sure any one of those teams is stocked with defensive talent. I'm not hating on RA by any stretch of the imagination. I think he did a solid job with the players he had. But playing good defense is a philosophy that the team has to accept, and the Rockets and RA just didn't accept that philosophy.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think Adelman is one of the best coaches there is when it comes to play calling and collectiveness but we can not overlook his shortcomings. He is the reason we had a shot at the playoffs but he is also the reason why we were having to fight for the 8th seed in the first place. His rotations were awful at best. At the beginning of the year as Brooks struggled he would leave him in. He would not let Martin play in the fourth. We saw too much Brad Miller. I think we need a fresh face at the helm. We will most likely not find a coach with a better offense but I think our rotations were just too poor to overlook.