1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

go cut your hand off when you ankle's broken. If something's wrong, I guess doing something , even to the parts that are functional is justified.

2. Zfan

Zfan Member

Wait. Could anyone please tell me what actually happened between Morey and Adelman? What's the conflict between statistical analysis and experience? I see Adelman's opinion highly involved in roster decision. Obviously, Morey made this team not only by numbers but also advice from coach.

A coach change maybe just a coach change. Not necessarily a conflict behind.

3. inishi

inishi Member

90% of what you have said is. Firing a hof coach for winning with the players that management gave him IS a bad decision. Suicide IS a bad decision ( although more serious then coaching decisions obviously, I'm not comparing them in that manner don't be dense ) , thus I compared it, making it the opposite of ignorant.

The rockets have a hof coach that practically anyone in the NBA not named Terrence could thrive under and some glaring holes in their roster. How does getting rid of a coach make rebuilding easier.

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

the analogy made sense, he's dodging the quintessential element for a reason.

Don't bother.

5. inishi

inishi Member

That is the kind of logic that got the kings and pistons where they are at, not to mention countless other teams.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Old school vs New School.

New school = statistical methods like at the sloan conference.

What I got from the link to the article from the thread below.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

We better not get mike brown

8. HookemHorns1250

Not sure of all the details, so I'll hold back from having too much of an opinion on the matter.

Sad though. I was extremely excited about watching this group of players stay together with Rick for a full season next year. Probably the most excited I've been in years about the Rockets.

9. rocketsmetalspd

Hire a new face in coaching not Brown. Elie or Turner would be fine.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

yup, i am a pretty avid pistons fan as well. Dumars lost it somewhere 2-3 seasons ago. And the number one example was iverson trade. He felt the need for a "New Direction" and traded billups for iverson.

Downhill from there.

6 straight conference finals appearances for billups and the pistons don't even make the playoffs.

11. conquistador#11

Our owner and GM are starting to remind me of guys and chics that cannot break up face to face and have to do it via Email. It's shady and very unprofessional. It's not Ricks fault that nobody in the league wants Morey's "assets".
    There isn't a coach better than Rick out there. Even darker days are ahead of us. may god be with us.

And I like Daryl, a lot, but at some point he has to get consistency in the roster and staff. This is not some simulation game(<insert "he mad" image)

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess then it was also a bad decision when the Bulls fired Vinny Del Negro for Thibs then. What a ignorant decision, clearly the Bulls were winning with VDN and were only going to get better. Why make the change? Especially for someone that has proven nothing as a head coach in Thibadeux. Idiots.

As I mentioned before, winning with older players is not going to move the team forward. Rick was all about winning now and not building for the future. This was evident by how long it took Patterson to get any significant minutes and also how he kept playing Miller over Hill.

"Hill sucks!" you may say, but you destroy these players trade value by not playing them at all. Twill trade value is basically crap now. Because other teams will look at it and say "Well he couldn't work out there and there, so he's not worth much."

In the end it is about what Les wants from the team. If he's fine with another 40+ win team but scraping by to get into the playoffs...fine keep Rick. But a superstar isn't going to fall into your lap with how he was managing the team.

But if he wants to try something new and move on then the coach is usually the first to go.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to just completely move on. The Rockets have done that now.

The Pistons traded Billups, the Pistons LIKED Larry Brown. But since Brown is the coaches version of Brett Favre and isn't sure if he wants to retire or not left the team.

And you dodged my last response to you entirely...

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I understand people holding different opinions about this topic. Having differing opinions and discussing them is fundamental to the existence of the BBS. Cackling with glee about this decision, however, like some kid in middle school who got away with pinching a girl while standing in line, as some of you are doing today, says more about those of you doing it than any base, absurd comment you have chosen to make. It is absurd. Short of a miracle, we'll see just how stupid this decision was on the part of Less and his Dork GM, soon enough. Elvis has left the building.

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean by that. I clarified to you that Yao played in one of the 3 wins needed to take the series to 7 games.

You believing that rockets team was talented makes you delusional.
    And your quote regarding PJ actually works against you. Do you remember the question the reporter asked? It was an insult to PJ and his team for their laziness and lack of desire, to dodge it he pretty much stated "Give them some ****ing credit." He couldn't be any less sympathetic towards a team his team had a chance of getting knocked out by at them time. Chuck had to step in as starting C as a pioneer for that team before he was acclimated to it over the past season.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Deckard again.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess, whatever you say my man. You and whatshisname have been insulting the players on this team just to put Rick on a pedestal.

All of a sudden Rick Adelman took the Cavs to the promised land!

Also that makes no sense about the PJ quote. He said exactly what he meant. Also I remember what FANS thought from both sides and here...as in on this board...People were HIGHLY excited about that team going into the season and also once Yao won game one.

So I guess then most here were delusional.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Not to mention that during the sac-laker rival days he referred to adelman as hitler b.c of his mustache. Not really a friendly bunch...

Adelman was the coach that seemed to best him the most, its unfortunate that series in 02 went down as the worst officiated in sports history, and robbed him of a title considering the sacrificial lamb was waiting on the other end.

So when it comes to a comment PJ makes that appears as if he cares about the rockets, it seems he was actually able to convince someone surprisingly. It was pretty obvious he did so to save his own team's face for having no excuse for losing.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think that not retaining Adelman was the right move for the direction this team is going..... rebuilding. Like another poster said earlier, Adelman is a great coach and he is gonna squeeze every win out of this team. However that is not what we need at this point. We need someone who will play the younger players, not keep always keep vets in the game in order to win. Out of all the coaches that we could have, Adelman is the best. But sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war. If our front office did not think we could legitimately contend next year, there is no reason to keep Adelman. Winning more games only means a worse pick, or in the case of making the playoffs NO pick.

This draft in 2012 is stacked. There may not be a one in a generation superstar ( there could be ) but if you pick top 10 in 2012 its probably talent-wise equivalent to picking top 5 in years past... a wild guess on my part would be that up to about 23 or 25... you are gonna have players with lottery talent.... As well as a great top 10 ish. Missing out on that pick only to fall short in the first would be devastating to our franchise. Adelman is a HOF coach and i wish him well but unless he was willing to take a year off and tank then there is no way we should have kept him. I expect the next order of buisness is to try and trade Martin or Scola for picks and whatnot.... it remains to be seen how difficult that will be. In short this move seems terrible to everyone who thought that with a real center ( if we even get one) we could contend next year..... and seems like a step in the right direction to those ready to rebuild.... You have to go all out in one direction, in the NBA you cant rebuild on the fly and contend at the same time.. it is impossible.. I'm glad the rockets seem commited one way or another.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You twisted something he said that was very straight-forward into something he didn't say.

Good job.

20. stefanb

stefanb Member

I'm having mixed feelings on this. Adelman was a great coach for the Rockets and the players obviously loved playing for him but the NBA seems to be taking a new direction. All the star players are joining forces and they are harder to land in a free agency signing. I guess we just have to be patient as fans and hope that we draft some great players. No doubt Rick Adelman has done some great things in Houston though. Maybe we'll get better on defense.