1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Rick Adelman is out as Houston Rockets coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by karthik.08, Apr 18, 2011.

1. inishi

inishi Member

Wow that didn't work

2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Been busy today and just learned of news. This is not a surprise. I knew this wasn't going to be a popular decision but I respect the organization for making this move and I agree with this move as I've expressed before. I wish Adelman the best in whatever he choses to do but in order for this franchise to be "great" again and not just wallow around in mediocre madness, you can't be afraid to make bold moves.

3. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Les is going to regret this big time, RA's done a good job, i hope all the best for him

i hope les get hit by a car so that he can wake up to see what he did in this scenario...........

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think he did want to take one but Chicago wasn't willing to give up Asik even for Lee. So anything else over that is giving up too much for what would be a role player.

Also the other guys. Gortat went in a bigger trade. Varejao got hurt, and it seems the Nuggets weren't going to deal Nene.

To be fair the Rockets should have been prepared for Yao going down. Miller shouldn't have been the only backup plan...but really looking back who else was there?

Dampier wouldn't have been much better than Miller if any at all. Besides Miller did have a good year and most wanted them to get him at the time. So I don't see how Morey should shoulder all the blame for this season. He certainly should for not having a big C all this time. He certainly has passed on a few in the draft.

5. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

True, its just real frustrating being a Houston sports fans right now. I don't follow Hockey or Soccer so those dont count but damn as someone mentioned before we fire a coach who overachieved for 3 years and retain a coach for has underachieved for 3 years. This cant be the curse of Juwan Howard anymore. Only in Houston.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh I agree. Thats why I said, superstars make all the difference in the world. But coaches?

Larry Brown is one of the best, yet he has struggled trying to do this very thing. Take bad teams and make them good. Also remember Larry took a rag tag group of Pistons to the Championship then for some odd reason after losing in the finals left the team. The successor, a much lesser coach...still took that team to Conference championship.

With Yao I feel this team would have been a top 4 team. Having a dominant Center in the NBA means everything. We've seen that with Hakeem and Dwight. You can put a bunch of role players around those guys and become a contender. I think that is what the Rockets hoped for and were building around but then Yao goes out again. It still doesn't change that they put very good players around Yao though.

In fact much better than Dwight's supporting cast.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this likely ****ed up the entire team and all the players on its roster.

YOU HAVE EVER PLAYER BEGGING FOR HIM TO RETURN YET YOU DON'T RESIGN HIM...

you know what that foreshadows about the players next season?

8. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

This is move to make team worse! If we make team worse, we need to go full strength for chance at top pick! Hire bad coach like Mike Brown seems like first step already in place. Next trade away Martin and Luis Scola. Let Chuck walk away and do not bring back Yao.

We are left with young team with league’s best tank drivers: Courtney Lee and Terrence Williams. Drove tank to 12 wins for New Jersey Nets. Will do same for Houston Rockets.

This has to be Daryl Morey’s plan, or there is no need to fire coach. Fire coach, we go from 43 wins to 36. Still not good enough for top pick. Must do everything to make team extremely bad. 11/12 in lottery worse than competing for playoffs.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I can definitely agree with you, players did a lot to overcome some questionable directives. All I was trying to say is that if you broke this team up and put the pieces on other squads they wouldn't play to the level they did this year. They shine here, they play to a level they wouldn't play anywhere else. Does that mean its Rick or players bailing out the team or some other factor? I don't know. On paper, this squad isn't as good as they played... but, they are still mediocre. We still didn't even make the playoffs.

I think the false impression people get here on these forums is that when a person is released from this organization it is because of something they did. It is rarely about something they did, it's mostly about something they will do. Look at the Aaron Brooks trade. He wasn't traded because he had a bad attitude or because he was playing poorly ONE SEASON, it was because he was going to get paid. We couldn't afford to keep him. Rick wasn't fired because he didn't do a good job, he was fired because we are going in a new direction. It isn't something he did or didn't do, that's rarely ever the case.

10. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

My suggestion to you is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

Adelman has always got the most outta his players. Even when the Rockets took the Lakers to 7 games, they were undersized & CLEARLY not as talented. So if your saying that coaching is overrated you don't know much about basketball.

If the organization was truly about winning then it would be up to the GM to put quality talent around them. If you pay attention to the playoffs, there's not one team that isn't CLEARLY more talented than us. Again, that's on the GM NOT the HOF coach with the best winning% in Franchise history

11. lean

lean Member

Well I guess I'm a little late but just wanted to say, thanks RA for a great four years and we'll have a hell of a time replacing you!

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I concur with the above but am not as despondent as most about this.

Inherently, great players are what you need to win. Great players and great coaching is what you need to win championships, especially multiple championships. Rick has had great players before, but never won it all. In his defense, I think he absolutely WAS robbed of a title because of officiating one year with the Kings (though Sacramento still had a Game 7 on their home court that they failed to win), but nonetheless, Rick has yet to coach a championship team, so the chances of him doing that with the players on the Rockets are slim to none.

So from a where we've been recently perspective, yes, this is horrible. We suffered through the Francis days, we suffered through JVG's woeful offenses, and Rick got us to the 2nd round at least...

But from a where were likely to be in the next 3 years, I don't see how Rick was a great fit anymore from his or the teams perspective.

13. amaru

amaru Member

Don't have a good feeling about this.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep I think that is the case.

No one is saying Rick is a bad coach so he should have been fired.

But great coaches are always fired and teams go in different directions. The Jazz recently did, the Bulls did a long time ago (and recently getting rid of Vinny despite him getting that team to the playoffs) it just happens.

Sometimes its for the better and sometimes its for the worst.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This, Rick got the shaft on this one. Honestly, as ugly as our offense was, I want back jvg. Dude our biggest cheer leader.

16. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

does this mean we will tank next year?

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Highest winning percentage in team history, first series win since 1997...

and he's gone?

What an awful decision. And all the people saying we should go back to JVG because you'd rather win "76-70" than lose "120-110" are crazy. We won a higher percentage of our games under Rick than under JVG. You may wish we won more under JVG, but wishing doesn't make it true.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Well, nothing we can do about it now. The past is in the past. I have enough faith in Morey and Les to find a new coach.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So the Rockets that took the Lakers to 7 games were not talented?

You do remember Yao Ming played that year right? They also had Artest AND Shane Battier.

They also had Scola, Brooks, Lowry, and Landry. That team was stacked (thanks to Morey who was able to finally build a supporting cast around his stars)

You need to do your homework if you think that team was not as talented. MANY people felt that team was a contender if (as usual) Tmac and Yao were able to stay healthy.

Also that year was the start of Brooks becoming a dominant scoring PG and Landry was still the Laker killer. Scola was still Scola and Artest...well he did such a good job the Lakers wanted him on their team.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Not saying I agree with the decision to let Rick go, on the contrary, not sure who they can get to do a better job. That being said, Rick only won 11 more games as the Rockets coach and yes he did it half without Yao and TMAC but JVG had a crap supporting cast.

If you mean the comment I made in the other thread, I clarified that by saying it wasn't a Adelman vs JVG thing but it was referring to a comment about how crappy it was to watch Van Gundy ball.